1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

emergency manual mode on A57 shoot tomorrow

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by frank1, Apr 18, 2014.

1. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

As is typical for me I decide to test the camera for a studio shoot tomorrow. I'll be using studio flash and as is my usual I always shoot in manual. I've had the A57 a week now and having played around with it I'm finding it good to get on with. Except when I set it to manual the view finder is as dark as the night. I've looked through the manual and found nothing so far to show what to do. In aperture priority its fine but I can't use that setting. I've just tried the shutter priority and that's the same as manual.

Is this normal for this type of camera. If it is it's a major draw back and something I wished I knew about as it makes for hard work when shooting either sport or studio work. So guys am I not doing something and will I be kicking myself for not thinking of it. Or am I going to have to live with this major drawback.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It is and it isn't a disadvantage! What the finder shows is roughly what you will get on the way the camera is set, whatever mode it is set to. So in the priority modes the look is normal, in manual it can look dark or light depending on the exposure, clearly a downside for studio flash work.

3. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I can see its advantages in shutter priority and manual mode if outdoors. Though in a studio it's practically useless. Shooting at f11 and you're shooting in the dark. I have tried it with the camera flash open and that brightens the view finder. Maybe I may have to use this as a work around. Cover up the flash to stop it firing the studio ones.
    It certainly is a major flaw in this type of camera design and it is one I remember reading about somewhere. If not on this forum certainly somewhere else. Ah well I was looking forward to using the camera but it looks like I'll have to use my Pentax. I am a bunny with a very very big frown. Boo Hoo

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye. Live view is just as useful.....

[​IMG]

....thankfully I have a viewfinder that works just fine in such conditions, which is just aswell as I do a lot of that!

5. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

By sheer force of my magnificent will power I have managed to sort it out. More than likely I have done something in the menu. The trouble is I don't know what I did but at least the camera can be used in a studio setting. Happy bunny is me Woo Hoo

Ps I had the kit lens attached and thought I'd best try my Minolta lens just to be sure. Put it on and the view finder was darker than gates of AP towers. Silly me forgot to take the lens cap off.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It is a brave man who admits that!

7. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Life throws curve balls all the time. Model turned up I explained to her I was eager to try out the new camera. Unfortunately it was not firing the flash and fair dos to her she said take your time. To no avail and back to my trusted Pentax. I had the camera connected to a Bowens prolite 82. I've just tried another Bowens espirit just now and like last night it works.

I also use an Elinchrom 66 but I couldn't find the lead for that so I'll search that out and try it. At least I can use the espirit to fire the other flashes. The shoot went really well and at least I know how to use the camera next time. It's a mystery as to why it won't fire the prolite. Could it be a voltage issue in which case the Elinchrom might be best left as that's as old as the hills.