1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Email allegedly from AP - 'take your photography to the next level…'

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Chester AP, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Has anybody else received one of these?

'Take your photography to the next level with our essential collection of expert tips and techniques from Amateur Photographer and the UK's leading photographers. '

I thought that the phrase 'to the next level' was a computer gaming term, but the email appears to be offering a subscription to a 5 times a year 'bookazine' (?) of things that should be included in the ordinary weekly AP.

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I received it, didn't read it, binned it for the main reason I wasn't interested.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yup. Found it in my junk mail folder. I can see the attraction for beginners who would like everything in one place, especially those who don’t subscribe to AP. Most of the expert tips are anodyne so I don’t expect it will appeal to more experienced photographers as a subscription. Probably signals that they won’t post so much magazine content on the main website in future. Reviews could go the same way. Makes sense to sell twice rather than once (maybe) then give it away anyway.

4. Chester AP

A second identical email received today - somebody at Kelsey Media must believe this is the way to get business.

At the bottom it has a link to Kelsey Media where I saw that the default position for my email address appears to be 'wants all junk mail', although I know I have not requested this. There is an option to 'unsubscribe' from all junk email from Kelsey Media and I have used it.

5. PeteRob

I just got the one. I just mark junk as junk then the computer takes care of anything from that sender. I scan the junk folder every now and again to check nothing important has been misfiled. Junk is auto deleted after 30 days. There has been more of it since lockdown started computer showing 150 unread junk items for last 30 days across 2 accounts.

6. N Atherton

N Atherton Member

The bookazines are basically collections of republished features from AP grouped by theme. We have just published a landscapes bookazine comprising selected features on landscape photography from the last three years of AP. I am currently working on the next one, on wildlife photography. There are no reviews in these. It's purely feature and technique content. if you subscribe to AP then you will have already seen this content so would probably not want to subscribe. On the other hand I do know that some readers cut out and keep features that interest them so they may like the idea of a glossy, perfect bound 100 page ad-free collection of features dedicated to just the one topic that interests them. Especially as it costs less than a tenner.

Contrary to the earlier comment this doesn't mean there will be less content online. The opposite is the case - there will be more, certainly compared with recent months. The Deputy Editor is working on the website pretty much full time now.

7. Chester AP

Thank you for the detailed reply. Other photography magazines have tried this over the last few years, so good luck.

I assume the 'Landscape' one will include AP's standard recommendation about using a polarising filter, but have the reprinted articles been checked to ensure they include a warning that these filters are useless with very wide angle lenses?

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I did not know that - have I not been paying attention?

Bazarchie likes this.
  9. Chester AP

I made an expensive mistake about 10 years ago and purchased an expensive 77 mm PL filter to use on a Sigma 10-20 mm zoom lens, after reading an article them in AP.

It worked as expected at the long end of the zoon, but somewhere around 13-14 mm the large angle of view means that the PL filter causes uneven light and dark areas in the sky. My lens now has a circular neutral density graduated filter that has not been removed from the lens for over 8 years - this does not have quite the same effect as a PL lens, but does darken skies and the results do not depend on the position of the sun (as they do with a PL filter). You can get a lot of sky in the image with a lens like this.

On another thread recently another member reported the same problem with a PL filter at about 20 mm on a full frame camera, which matches my experience at 13-14 mm on a half frame (APS-C) camera. I emailed AP after my expensive purchase, and an edited version was published. Since then articles referring to PL filters sometimes warn readers about the problem, hence my comment about the new 'landscapes' publication.

Perhaps I've saved you making an expensive mistake - do you use any very wide angle lenses?

10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

The widest i use is 26-35 (f4) ) and can't say I have noticed this effect, I will try some experiments myself. Do you known of any technical explanatlon?

11. PeteRob

If you mean non-uniform darkening of skies then you can get this at anything wider than about 35 mm (equivalent). I wouldn’t use a polariser on a 24 mm for scenes with a large amount of sky. It is because the polarisation effect depends on the relative position of the sun to the lens axis.

12. Chester AP

This is from a website that other AP Forum members have recommended (being an American website, the search only works if polarising is spelt polarizing). It also have very helpful pages about the relationship between depth of field and sensor size and the relationship between lens aperture diffraction effects and sensor size. I found these pages very helpful after moving from a full frame 35 mm film camera to a half frame (APS-C) digital one, and sometimes noticing depth of field and image softness differences I had not expected.

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/polarizing-filters.htm

13. Instamixes

Instamixes New Member

I am a beginner in this field so this is really useful to me. Thanks to 'Chester AP' to sharing a tutorial link.