1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Education Levels

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bawbee, Jan 20, 2011.

?

February 2009

1. MickLL

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. APchris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other (please state)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Mick's thread on "What should we know", got me thinking about the levels of education achieved by the AP Forum members.

2. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

As the first to vote may I suggest that the list be expanded. I know that there are some on here who have qualifications far exceeding just 'university'.

A simple expansion would be University Bachelor's degree plus University Master's or higher.

MickLL

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I know quite a few people with Universty degrees. Unfortunately some of them have virtually no common sense. In life the latter is far more important.

4. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Well-Known Member

I would agree with Mick that 'University' isn't necessarily the top limit of education, and also agree with dangie that education alone isn't an indicator of knowledge and ability

5. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

A phrase coined a few years ago, "Intellectual Idiots", comes to mind.

6. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

I kept the levels as simple as possible; I could have stipulated Basic Secondary, Higher Secondary, etc., etc. There is no allowance for common-sense as I believe this is self-taught/learned.

Wouldn't it be fun to spot the higher level educated posters who spout a load of tripe on here though; or even the lower-level educated poster who speaks with wisdom? ;)

7. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

You didn't leave a choice for none of the above.

8. Linux_Lady

Linux_Lady Well-Known Member

Ooooooh, Ooooooh, Ooooooh!

*raises hand politely*

:cool:

9. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I ticked "Further Education College". Hardly any of my school contemporaries made it to a university. Back in the 1950's few did without well-heeled parents.

Now a great proportion of school leavers go on to university - it's more or less expected - but the required education level needed and hence the quality of intake has dropped dramatically in the last couple of decades. There are now any number of "mickey mouse degrees" that require not much more than attending fairly regularly and doing a modicum of "work".

The degrading of degrees has shown in the job market where many employers are now only interested in candidates with a honours science degree - at least!

The last 20+ years of my working life was spent in education so I saw the change as it happened.

10. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

I failed my A-Levels and have suffered the consequences ever since, perhaps when I retire I can get myself an education.
    I always get very melancholic when qualifications crop up in a conversation. :(

Andrew

11. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

Am d/Deaf and thick....but study with OU, Chester Uni and Lampter Uni at low level so thus still thick...

12. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Well, my parents certainly weren't well-heeled, but I was fortunate in that we lived in the Gtr Manchester area and where there were Direct Grant Schools, one of which I attended after passing the entrance exam. Cheshire County Council were very gracious in that they allowed me to use my County Major Scholarship out of county - whether I would have been so lucky if we'd remained living in the Lancashire County area where I was born, I've no idea, but I remember how relieved my parents were when the letter arrived from Chester.

Very few of us at the Grammar School were well-heeled, and I felt no social stigma until I did my National Service - when my Manchester/Stockport accent was frequently commented on by the Londoners in our entry. Following National Service I read physics / electrical engineering at Cambridge - where there was no social stigma whatsoever. (Perhaps there might have been if I'd attempted to row... but physicists and engineers were far too busy with laboratory work for sport.)

13. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Not sure where you got that one. My parents were as poor as church mice and I managed it - as did most of the other lads in my class. Some of them were the sons of professionals and therefore had more money than I did but AFAIK none of them were from 'rich' families.

When I actually got to university I was lucky enough to get maximum grant (£300 per year from memory) and then my pauper background and years of having to be 'careful' with money really paid off. I thought that my £300 was riches beyond avarice. ;)

MickLL

14. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

Should I fight on or....

15. Roger_Provins

... well that was just my experience. YMMV :)

The lack of a degree didn't stop some doing very well though, one was as a MP for while and another (the class trouble maker) retired a year ago leaving a huge construction business to his sons.

16. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

?

MickLL

17. Roger_Provins

Google? :)

18. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

No option for armed forces training, I consider the RAF technical training was as good if not considerably better than many Further education colleges, the more advanced courses equating to HNC or even HND level.

19. MPB

MPB Well-Known Member

Got my 2:2 (commonly called a drinkers degree). But some dont release that those of us with just enough intelligence to get to university and do a proper degree IE a BSc in something like maths, a proper science or engineering work very hard to get them. my down fall was working and studying and being rubbish at revision.

Since leaving university used very little of my degree but it is true some academics are all brains and no common sense me included at times. :cool: :)

20. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Mark,

I'm not picking on you, more the education system, but the above two paragraphs contain 5 punctuation marks, 6 if you count the colon in '2:2', and a hell of a lot missing. With any university degree, and you consider yourself an academic, I would have expected better; especially from someone as young as you.

[Flame-suit on /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif]