1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Editing Software Recommendations for an iMac

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by MJB, Sep 18, 2020.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

On a whim, I rashly purchased a refurbished iMac last night. I say rashly, but it was a voucher code deal at a price I couldn't lose on. Its a Core I3, 4mb RAM, 500gb HDD. I currently use PS CS6 on Windows 10, but only really use a fraction of the features. Before I turn the house upside down looking for the install disc are there any alternatives worth considering?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Try using the built-in Preview application. I seldom use anything else.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I’ve got Creative Cloud, On One photoraw (2018), DPP 4, and GIMP on mine. As Andrew said there are built-in Apps, but I’ve never tried to use them. Preview I just use for viewing pdfs. I’ll have a look at what iPhoto can do when I go upstairs next.

Is the OS uptodate? Memory might be a bit tight at 4GB. Before you turn the house upside down looking for a CD, my imac has no CD player. I remember we had fun and games sharing one off a PC across the network.

4. Andrew Flannigan

I don't find memory an issue on Macs. My 2011 MacBook Air only has 2GB. I now use it as a server with a couple of external drives hung off the USB ports. Nevertheless I can happily mess around with 24MP files via VNC or locally without interfering with the other things it's doing. OS-X is ever so efficient compared to Windows.

5. PeteRob

I have 8 GB and it stutters using LR, especially if I’m flicking through 5Ds raw files in a full screen view. They must take more than 200 MB each in internal storage and I’m guessing it caches them. I’m thinking (it’s in another thread) of having an SSD fitted and, while the case is open, doubling the memory.

6. Andrew Flannigan

My experience of Adobe products on OS-X suggests that they've never got to grips with memory optimisation for the platform. I don't know why this should be.

7. PeteRob

I had a look for built in software, the photos.app with Catalina doesn't seem to do much in the way of editing.

8. PeteRob

It always suprised me that iMacs even now ship with only 8GB memory as standard - so that is 12 years on since I bought mine - whereas Windows machines seem to have gone upward to 32 GB. I can't remember what my PC/laptop have got but I'm sure it is more than 8 GB.

Since 2015 the memory you buy an iMac with is what it stays at - they solder it in place.

9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I thought there were different CDs for pcs and macs?

10. PeteRob

Different software but CD format is universal, like USB sticks. Sometimes you got both on one disk but I can’t much remember using a CD since. Canon started to make the CD image downloadable for those without a CD player. Nowadays laptops also don’t have them. I wonder if any new software isn’t downloadable.

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Definitely both on my disk, but I'm considering giving 'Pixelmator' a try. It has quite good reviews amongst Mac users and will be compatible with my machine, which I believe will be running El Capitan (it's a refurbished 2011 model).

12. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

That’s good news, I thought when I ordered mine I had to specify Windows or Mac.

Have you tried Lightroom? Not as sophisticated as PS but for 95% + of my photos it is more than adequate.

13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

My copy of PS is a version for educational establishments, so may be different.

14. PeteRob

I just looked up the Operating System names. Looks like a new OS will soon be launched and imacs older than 2014 won’t be able to run it. It is getting ready for a swap from intel to ARM chips across the mac computer range. Big changes to come.

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

You'd think they would have learned from all the hoo-hah when they dropped 68k processors for PowerPC, then PowerPC for Intel... :rolleyes:

16. PeteRob

All things change. Intel had the better chip. There is something going on with chip design, it is possible that there will be an advance in what ARM chips can do based on an Apple technology development. Time will tell but I’ll not buy a new mac until the way forward is a bit clearer.

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I recommend what works for me. That is affinity photo.It should run, albeit slowly, in 4GB. you can try before buying. It seems not to be on offer at the moment so costs around £50. There are lots of online tutorials. I have just reread your post. Do you have 4GB ram or 4MB cache.

18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I tried Affinity when it was free. I never got on with it.

19. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Old ps will not run on the latest os from Apple, beware before updating, I will have set up dual os before accepting the latest os

20. PeteRob

Lots of things don’t work with Catalina including several older Apple apps. The updating process doesn’t seem to remove apps. I went straight from Sierra to Catalina, unintentionally, I hadn’t realised it had been released when I activated the update. As I understand it Catalina is 64 bit only, no 32 bit support.