1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Echo....

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by JohnW, Nov 27, 2000.

1. JohnW

JohnW Active Member

2. keyser

keyser New Member

......ed

hey.
    i just got myself a 505si. whats your gear? im still new at this and im trying to learn everything i can.

3. JohnW

JohnW Active Member

Re: ......ed

Hi,

I'm using an 800si outfit now, having returned to photography after a couple of years break. It's a brilliant camera and is keeping me very occupied!

www.johnwingfield.co.uk

4. Surfin' Fella

Surfin' Fella New Member

I've got a X-9 and its a very good camera, well i think so!! have you got any tips on black & white film? I'm trying Jessops 400s at the moment just to get the hang of it but have you any tips? I've heard Kodak T-Max is a decent film.

Thanx
    Surfin'

5. JohnW

JohnW Active Member

I tend to use TriX or Delta 100, depending on the subject, but I have tried TMax and it looked rather good to me (but what do I know?!) One thing to try is using a yellow filter, it gives nice contrast for portraits. I doubt you'll ever go far wrong with TMax though, and doing your own D&P will give you more benefit than anything else IMHO.

TTFN...

<A HREF="http://www.johnwingfield.co.uk">http://www.johnwingfield.co.uk</A>

6. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Great stuff guys, but this is supposed to be a Minolta page, so how the heck did we get sidetracked about B&W developing? Anyway, to get back to the Minolta theme, I used to have an X700 and thought that it was probably the best manual focus camera ever made. Unfortunately old age and failing eyesight forced me to join the AF stable. So why the heck didn't Minolta upgrade the X700 by giving it a better flash sync speed and higher top shutter speed to bring it into the new millenium?
    I think the camera could have survived a much longer time if Minolta had the foresight to do this. As it is the X700 remains one of the best seconhand manual focus SLR's on the market with the availability of the Minolta and Centon (Jessop's) MF lens range.

BigWill

7. muci

muci Member

Hallo!

Hi,

I have just noticed this forum. Great idea!
    I envy you, somehow :) I would have liked to owe a 800si. It is a splendid make. I am extremely satisfied with my 700si, a very good camera too. But yours has second curtain sync...
    What lenses do you use?

8. dazcaz

dazcaz New Member

Iv'e got an old X700. I bought it new in 1984. It's a great machine. Very reliable and easy to use. It was one of the first cameras to have TTL flash metering.
    I was lucy enough to be able to find a muli-function back for it. what a useful piece of kit it is. Coupled up with a motor wind and I can shoot a roll of film at a specified time interval and I don't even have to be there. It's great.
    The bits I have for my X700 are:-
    Multi-fuction back, powerwinder ll, 800mm mirror lens, 70-300 carl zeiss zoom, Minolta 24mm, Minolta 50mm.
    All this was bought before I was married with a house and a child. Today I'd be lucky if I could afford the UV filter for the front of the lens.
    The X700 is a great camera and I will keep mine untill it falls apart.
    Best wishes
    Darren

9. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Hi Darren, Sell the house and the child (joking) and get the Minolta Motor Drive 1 for the X700 (not joking). This will improve the handling of the X700 no end and will give you a vertical shutter release button as well (very usefull). This will also increase the weight of the camera substantially but I think it is worth it. I agree totally that the X700 is a beautiful camera (used to have one). Hope you have many happy years shooting with it.
    BigWill

10. JohnW

JohnW Active Member

Re: Hallo!

No huge surprises...I have a 28-80, a 75-300 and a 50mm (as it's so fast and light), all Minolta. I'd love a BIG telephoto, but the prices are scary, maybe one day when the six numbers come up!

I'm over the moon with the camera, have never had anything like it before! If only I had more time blah blah....

I like the look of the Dynax 7, but am happier with what I have, no regrets!

http://www.johnwingfield.co.uk

11. bill

bill New Member

I've just found this forum! I agree too, the MD-1 is heavy (8 AA batteries!) but very comfortable I have one permanently attached to my X-700 which is still my main camera. I would like a second body but so far haven't seen a good one at the price I'm after. As a second camera I still use my SRT 101 which was the first serious camera I bought about 27 years ago (!) - it still works and only needs a battery for the meter. I also have an MG9 which is OK but I feel more of a culdesac model.

bill

12. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Hi all,

regarding kit, I've got a Dynax 7 & grip (lovely camera), 600Si, Minolta 50mm f1.4, Sigma 24mm f2.8 and 28 - 300. Does anyone know if Sigma etc are going to upgrade their Minolta AF lenses to the Dynax 7s Advanced Distance Integration system?

Ron

13. mgroep

mgroep Member

Nice to see you like the X-700. But have you ever tried the Minolta XD-7? It handles much nicer, is smaller (looks much better too, but that's a personal preference). It has a very smooth vertical travel focal plain leaf shutter. It has the unique feature of measuring the actually achieved f-stop just before flipping the mirror up and re-adjusts the originally calculated shutter speed if required (35mm lenses, as opposed to medium format lenses that is, rarely are acurate with respect to the achieved f-stop and that set on the aperture ring). The XD-7 has given me the most consistent and accurate exposures of all cameras I have ever owned. I don't think I'll ever sell it. Plus the Minolta 85mm f1.7 MC is the sharpest of all lenses I have got, it is safe to say it even outperforms the Bronica lenses I have with respect to sharpness.

14. raminolta

raminolta Member

Hi,
    I don't have non-minolta lenses, so haven't carefully followed the news on this. As far as i remeber, i think i read somewhere that they are going to upgrade their lenses with D cheaps.