1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay Easishop

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Benjiphoto, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Re: Incredible

Sorry but if you have no stock you're not able to sell anything ... so whatever your markup is, your sales are going to be zero, so your profits will be minus your expenses. Selling vapourware is one of those areas I think should be firmly banned!

Surely the trick is to keep sufficient stock for people to select from, but make sure that the costs of depreciation and of housing the stock are together substantially less than the difference between the price the customer pays and the price you pay your supplier.

2. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

They may check him out but I hope they don't do a thing until some of the concerned parties here hopefully receive their goods and can confirm that they have received them in good order.

3. panhandle

panhandle New Member

Just to let you know I am one of the "lucky" winners of an EasyShop auction. On the 5th Jan I notices a whole lot of 400D bodies with starting bids of 99 pence. Well I wouldn't have minded one for a reasonable price so I placed my maximum bid and just got on with something else confident that my chances were near to nothing at that price. Imagine my surprise to receive an email from Ebay a few hours later to advise me that I had won, but not at my maximum bid price, but for considerably less, just £155. Well a not bad way to replace my old 300D so logged onto PayPal which intantly deducted the amount from my bank account. I admit I was a bit suspicious of why so many identical cameras were up for auction, closing at the same instant, and without a sensible reserve, but it wasn't until my birthday the following Monday that I got an email from Ebay confirming my suspicions... Well you know the rest from others in similar positions. I haven't claimed a refund from PayPal as I understand I have 45 days in which to do so, and to be honest, haven't completely given up on receiving my birthday present to myself. Clutching at straws? The logical side of my brain tells me so.

4. BeerBolus

BeerBolus Active Member

When the 20D was new out I went down the ebay route as I couldn't afford uk retail. I very nearly came unstuck with a seller from 'China'. Won for £600, really far too cheap at the time. They wanted cash by Western Union Money Transfer, a big no-no if you're using ebay. I didn't send it and I got the all to familar email from ebay. I was lucky and learnt fast!

I bought from a shop in Canada (Prodigital2000), saved about 15% +/- once all postage and taxes were taken into account(often overlooked by buyers it seems from feedback?).
    The saving made all the difference to me at the time. I also had their address and paid over the phone with a credit card.

Multiple cameras from the same seller finishing at the same time, no reserves or short aution times (why would you put an expensive DSLR on aution for just a couple of days?) or a recent history of finished autions with goods going for half there UK on-line cost, personally I wouldn't bid.

No business is in business to lose money, and genuine far east sellers don't want to sell their goods in the UK far below what they could realistically get for them.
    In my experence, half price (or near) bargains are found when private sellers sell their second hand kit or unwanted gifts etc. All my lenses have come that way. Brand new? Don't expect to walk away with a half price new DSLR without taking a risk. Also, when I was bidding on my 20D I was bombarded by emails from scammers offering too good to be true prices on a new 20D, all I had to do was contact them outside of the ebay system.

That said, I hope I'm wrong about this seller and everyone gets their money or their cameras.

5. tazio35

tazio35 Well-Known Member

My credit card expired and I forgot to update the Paypal details and discovered that you can't make payments until 'echeques' clear if you don't have a credit card. That can take about 10 days, I've found. Paypal are incredibly slow.

6. ShutterNutter

ShutterNutter Member

Update.

Sorry to say that since Fri the 11th. there has been no answer to emails or phone calls to Oliver of Easishop. The answering machine too, no longer has his voice on it either.
    Looks like the whole thing was a very complicated fraud.
    Ebay don't seem to give a damn and emails I have sent them have gone unanswered in the 4 days that all this has being going on.

7. royks

royks Member

Still not received my item but guess I will leave it a few more days given I appear to be covered by my credit company. My main problem with Ebay is their failure to give good clear information on what is going on. They tell you not to communicate directly with the seller but the link to contact seller from Ebay doesn't seem to work so what else can we do! Because they have deleted the items I can not go back and check details. I have specifically asked them to confirm or deny that the phone number on Oliver's shop site is legitimate but they hide behind user confidentiality and refuse. Just what is the truth?
    Oliver - if you are still watching this blog can you update on expected delivery of these items. I appreciate there are a lot but we are getting very worried here. My inclination is to trust you but my nerves can not stand much more of this.

8. royks

royks Member

Saw Shutternutter's reply after posting mine - tried calling and emailing with the same response so looks like he's right. I also looked at Easishop's online shop on Ebay and see he now has no items listed there either (although easishop's web site still appears to be trading and showing the same phone number)? Just hope the other posters here are right about the legal side and my credit card company pay up!
    Thanks so much Ebay for being so helpful with this :mad:

9. xanction

xanction New Member

Hi everyone. This is my first post here as I also am in the group waiting for either product or refund from Easishop during the eBay excitment. What perplexes me is that the on-line shop (not the eBay one) continues to operate, therefore one assumes that potentially 100s of people all over the world are buying products from this company (albeit at much higher prices than those on eBay). If the whole operation were a fraud it seems a huge set up for little gain. I can't imagine the DSLR stock on eBay would have gained more than a few thousand pounds for a potential fraud, and there seems to be genuine feedback on iphones and the like (no one would make up 1000s of feedback and give themselves only 92% surely?) I am living in hope that either the very good deal I paid for in good faith will turn up (I can live with import tax charges) or that Easishop will come clean and say they can't honour the deals and refund. I'd like to say this is my first post of many on my journey into photography, it depends if I get my camera I suppose :rolleyes:

10. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Royks wrote (in his 1st Post):
    Blog? Splutter, splutter! ;)

11. royks

royks Member

Sorry Bawbee but it was the term 'Oliver' used when he posted here and I wanted to reply in his terminology.

12. royks

royks Member

easishop has now disappeared as a member on Ebay and the easishop feedback and shop are now showing against user pohsisae
    Looking even more likely that this is a fraud although I still don't understand why the phone number easishop show on their site reached the fraudster or why it took Ebay so long to remove it. Tried contacting this user but still no go. Also Oliver S J Evans does show up as a 'friend' in their facebook entry??

13. ShutterNutter

ShutterNutter Member

I had a couple of guys from london go down to his mother and stepfathers home today but they said that neighbours told them that Oliver is only there infrequently but the mother and stepfather, (whos name we have), have been, "in Asia for the last two weeks but should be back soon".

If there is no joy on this thing by the end of this week I will post all the information I have on here. So that you guys can handle your business which ever way you see fit.

14. xanction

xanction New Member

The new eBay name still holds the image of easishop and their name change history which seems weird if it was indeed easishop doing the hijack:

eBay Member User ID History
    The box below contains the User IDs that this member has used on eBay.
    User ID Effective Date End Date
    pohsisae 14-Jan-08 Present
    easishop 24-May-04 14-Jan-08

Saying that, there is no history for easishop as a standalone company for anytime before December last year. Oliver still has his facebook account up and running. I'm just surprised to see such an audit trail if this is indeed a scam. Seems like a pretty ill judged one if so.
    At least we know where his parents live ;)

15. ShutterNutter

ShutterNutter Member

His Bebo name............ oliversjevans :rolleyes:

16. lozw

lozw Member

17. royks

royks Member

The whole thing is very confusing which makes it even worse that Ebay are being so unhelpful! For example why would they not even confirm if the contact details I had for easishop match the ones for the 'real' user??

BTW I see the post with the contact links has vanished - I presume it breached the rules for this forum? To be able to pursue this and find out if it really is a scam, if the user has come up with some elaborate way of getting out of the auction failing to reach the levels he expected (in which case at least give us our money back) or even (you never know) if it is real then we really need someone to give us some reliable information.

I note some posters have said that if it is too good to be true it probably is and in this case they may well be right. At the end of the day this was an auction and if nobody bids high enough you do get bargains. It is not unusual for Ebay sellers to use auctions with no Buy It Now or reserve - Canon Outlet have been doing it for ages and although they normally achieve higher prices it's no different in principle.

18. lozw

lozw Member

It wouldn't be the first ebay scammer to have an active facebook with the same name.

There was a story recently about a girl who scammed someone on ebay but they quickly found her on facebook, and posted her details on a forum and people soon tracked her down (and made her life hell apparently...)

19. lozw

lozw Member

But Canon outlet are not listing brand new latest models, and starting them at £0.99 with just a 24 hour listing...

No one normally would take the risk of listing a £3k camera under those circumstances, and having it close for £1250 as easishop did.

20. panhandle

panhandle New Member

With reference to Ebay's behavier,Roykes says,
    Indeed they have removed, if not destroyed, evidence in what they claim to be fraud. Is that legal? Certainly it prevents me checking details of my order, and if I do get the camera, have no way to check that it is precisely as described. Come to think of it, why their request - demand - not to communicate with the vender? What possible harm could an e-mail or 'phone call do me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.