1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay Easishop

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Benjiphoto, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjiphoto

Benjiphoto Member

Hi

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/easishop
    Has anyone here had dealing with this Ebay retailer?
    I see they have a lot of good ratings but first hand experience from anyone here would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Ben

2. fabs

fabs Well-Known Member

Some of them look to good to be true and, given the amount of negative feedback, probably are.

A Sony f2.8 70-200 lens which sells at Warehouse Express for £1759, currently at £161 with 11 hours left?

92.8% is a very low rating IMVHO. I never buy off anyone with less than 99%.

But maybe that's just me! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

There seem to be a lot of unhappy customers.

4. pachinkofan

pachinkofan Well-Known Member

I'll be avoiding, especially as the listings are "from Hong Kong" mail wise...

G>

5. JohnDonovan

JohnDonovan New Member

Hi,

I'm afraid the reason I stumbled across this post was as I was googleing 'easishop' as I am having a problem with them!

Avoid like the plague at the moment - I will post again once I know more, but here's my story so far:

Over the weekend I won an auction from them for a Canon 40D with the 17-85 IS USM lens. I received the usual e-mails (i.e. "you have won this item", "Invoice for item...") so all seemed fine. I went through all the proper eBay processes and paid via PayPal.

Then today I received an e-mail from eBay saying that they had cancelled the auction due to some irregularity with the sellers account. They went on to say that I should not send any payment, and that if I had I should chase it through my bank and alert my local Police etc.

So having had a couple of days of excited anticipation of receiving my 40D I'm now looking at the prospect of just being hundreds of pounds out of pocket!

I have obviously registered complaints both with eBay and PayPal and will post again with any updates.

You have been warned! :mad:

6. chilcoot

chilcoot New Member

Had exactly the same experience, received same email today, immediately started ebay dispute procedure, spoke to Paypal and had a full refund within an hour. Emailed easishop who explained a third party had hacked into their account.

7. JohnDonovan

JohnDonovan New Member

Yes, I have also now received a refund through PayPal.

Not sure I'll dare try and buy from them again even it they were apparently hacked. Think I'll be taking my refund and shopping within the UK for my 40D now!

8. chilcoot

chilcoot New Member

I'll wait for a while and :D see what happens to market prices.

9. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Check out the prices on CameraPriceBuster.

You be better off buying Canon bodies in the UK/Europe as the warranty is valid in the UK. Hong Kong sourced bodies will need to be sent back for any warranty work (though some Honk Kong sellers do have UK agents who deal with this).

10. ShutterNutter

ShutterNutter Member

I have a three and a half grand paypal payment to them but they sent me an email with the original paypal receipt telling me that the ebay login they have was hacked but that the goods are for real and they would be with us by the 14th jan 08. Two Nikon D3 at less than half price. Waiting with some considerable trepidation. The problem with a thing like this is that even if you have paid out a ton of money the likes of ebay and paypal would do us a favour if at least they would serve us with a phone call instead of all this bullshit they force us to go through to get an answer. this one might be all good or maybe not. The bottom line is that ebay is not a safe place to shop.....and they don't give a [****] otherwise they would at least give us poor buggers that have forked out a fortune only to get ripped off, and least a phone number to phone them. There was no notification on these items until the day after the bidding had ended and the goods paid for.
    Ebay even removed the purchases from, "My Ebay", area so I couldn't even check the sellers credentials.
    I for one will not be buying via this site ever again.

11. MarkLawson

MarkLawson New Member

Hello

Unfortunately I have also had the same experience. I purchased a Canon 5D for £725 on Saturday. This morning (Monday) I received the e-mail from eBay. A phone call to the bank confirmed that the money hadn't left my current account and so I put a stop on it. Unfortunately PayPal also have a backup account, which is my credit card. A call to the card company confirmed that there was nothing they could do, but perhaps fortunately I am close to my credit limit and there is every possibility it will be declined - now that's a first, hoping a transaction is declined from a credit card company :)

I did receive an e-mail from the vendor, but chose to just withdraw from the deal. The price of a 5D can only fall in my opinion at the moment, so I will wait until it is sorted and get another - maybe not from Jessops but certainly not from a Hong Kong vendor.

I will be monitoring this forum with interest to see if anybody else gets a refund (or the goods).

Regards
    Mark

Email address removed in line with Forum Rules.
    Moderator.

12. mrpurple56y

mrpurple56y New Member

I too am another who has been stung by this, I won a Canon 5D and 24-105 lens on saturday afternoon, I paid for it straight away through paypal with my credit card and all was as usual, then this morning after receiving the email from eBay I first contacted Paypal as I had made the payment through them, they were as usual about as much use as a chocolate fireguard (i've had previous issues with them about their customer service and how bad it is but unfortunately they have the monopoly on ebay), they told me there was nothing they could do and the best thing was to file a dispute and hope for the best. I then contacted the seller who told me that I could either raise a dispute with paypal and they would refund me the money in full or wait and my purchase would be posted as normal. After this I thought that my £1k was probably well gone, so then I contacted my credit card provider HFC, they were more than helpful and assured me that I would not be out of pocket as I have insurance that will cover me for up to £1k. I'm now waiting for a dispute form from them, not quite sure whether to wait now and see if the item does arrive or just to bring up the dispute with Paypal and HFC.

Yours
    Bob

13. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for the posters here who have lost money or are having a hard time but I've said time and time again here that buying the cheapest, especially from abroad, is loaded with an awful lot of risk. Better to spend a bit more with a known quantity in the UK. Our lust for saving every penny we can can often changes into wasting every penny we've got.

Maybe some High Street dealers are expensive but there are some good deals from some established UK online dealers that are worth considering. However, despite this, some people still seem to think that there is such thing as a free lunch.

As an aside, I had a letter from Spain before Christmas saying that I had won a major prize in a Spanish lottery. I binned the letter knowing full well that I have never played a Spanish lottery but I wonder how many would contact the letter writer to follow this up and be scammed. There must be enough people to respond to make this worthwhile to the scammer. Same for the letters from the ex-Nigerian government official who has funds tied up in a Swiss bank account and needs your confidential help. If it sounds to good to be true, it is too good to be true.

14. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Yes, I have had many of those too, in the past 6 weeks. Also many e-mails purporting to be from Camelot saying I have won a major prize in the (UK electronic) National Lottery. When you look at the actual originating e-mail address though, it's usually something like "joe.bloggs@hotmail.com" so quite how they think that by putting the name "Camelot" to appear, people will think it's from Camelot I really don't know. Are people that gullible?

15. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

On the Nigerian and Spanish thing, I think that there are gullible people and there are also desperate people who's normal defences and good judgement are impaired by circumstance. There'll always be enough victims for evil people to take advantage of and whilst we can for a moment think that the victims are silly or greedy I think that we must not lose sight of the fact that there are victims and there are dishonest scammers and it's pretty clear where our sympathy and condemnation should rest.

16. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

I quite agree but when it comes to buying expensive camera equipment, so many people seem hell-bent on saving every penny that they take enormous risks. It's the heart over-ruling the head. We see it so often here with questions like 'where's the cheapest?' or 'how do I import from abroad?' or 'is this Hong Kong dealer OK?'. Few ask 'where's the best place to buy?'

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And when they do, they tend to qualify that as "cheapest" when asked...

18. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

I agree. I've bought a couple of lenses on the net but only from reputable big name dealers and I don't think I'd buy a new DSLR body on line. I like the idea of having a local contact in a shop if I have a problem.

19. scaredofebaynow

scaredofebaynow New Member

Anyone care to guess what the hell is going on here!

Ebay say the account was hijacked, easishop confirm it but say that if you bear with it they will deliver the goods. Paypal refund the money.

Now, unbelievably the cameras are re-advertised on ebay. same adverts, same style, same typos and same starting prices. Advertised in the heading with 17-85 lens, just below says body only and then further down says 18-55 lens.

One half of me says "don't be so stupid to fall for it a second time", the other says "what happens if these are actually real". The more cautious/cynical side is winning at present :D

20. ShutterNutter

ShutterNutter Member

I have two d3s outstanding with them at the moment. The Ads are back on which makes me feel a lot easier about the whole thing. The email that I got an answer from is the same one on ebay. Also spoke to them by phone and they told me that goods would be delivered by Monday 14th. The phone contact is also the same as on ebay. Personally I don't see anyone involved in a scam holding on to answer the phone over two days. When the door could get kicked in at any minute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.