1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay buyer beware !

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Advert I posted stated (oh I will not be refunding)

Nikon FM2N 35mm SLR Film Camera Body Only

Condition: For parts or not working

Photograph showed (see attached)

HE said reason for return

Details from the buyer Reason Doesn't match description or photos Comments

Hi. Unfortunately I will have to return this item. The shutter curtain is damaged and the rewind knob lever is missing.

a2.jpg a1.jpg

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I had a similar situation a few years ago over a Pentax Super A that I sold, the camera body was fine, the lens had a defect, stated clearly twice in the description. Some time after receiving the camera the buyer sent an unpleasant message saying he wanted to return it at my expense or for me to pay for the item to be repaired. Essentially I told him neither was going to happen and immediately reported him to Ebay as the message he sent was threatening.

You have clearly shown the faults, my reaction would be to basically tell this buyer to get stuffed and report them to Ebay.

3. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Buyers can still open a case on eBay though, and they get 30 days (I think) to resolve issues with seller.

4. Stephen Rundle

I agree with you 100%

I was selling it as part of getting my and my sons motability car, MY belief is that, YES he is a DEALER, he thought "Ok, this is a £250+ camera working, I'll get it, if I can get it working I'll make a tidy profit, if not I'll return it and no loss.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/fdbk/feedbac...WELVE_MONTHS,overall_rating:POSITIVE&limit=25

5. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I sold an exhaust slip on years ago intended for a R6 (600cc sports bike) and the buyer complained saying that it didn’t fit his motorcycle (a 125cc bike!)

eBay got involved and case was resolved (he ended up complaining about it being too loud when fitted :confused:)

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

This thread very clearly demonstrates my discomfort with eBay, and other similar services. For the whole thing to work requires that there is a relatively rapid turnover of "stock" otherwise customers stop looking. That also means that the site content is constantly changing. It is unreasonable to expect eBay to retain offers for sale indefinitely but on this occasion, retaining a copy of Stephen's posting would allow eBay to act as "honest broker" and point out to the buyer what they had agreed to buy.

Unfortunately eBay seems to be protecting buyers from sellers but not sellers from buyers, or at least not quite as effectively.

There is a way to stop people removing the part they require and returning the item, put a small blob of paint/varnish across some key screws and add, as a condition of sale, that any disturbance of the paint/varnish constitutes acceptance of the item and no refund is possible under the circumstances. A photograph showing said tamper evident sealing allows any attempt to replace it to be identified.

However it appears that many a problem would not exist but for the very existence of en-line auction/selling sites. I am happy to buy direct from a manufacturer or an established dealer but it seems to me that private sellers are a potential nightmare. I don't need that so I steer well away from eBay and the like.

Now you can all tell me what I am missing!

7. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

That's correct in as far as goods not being as discribed or faulty ( if sold as working ) with private sales .
    Business sellers are different .

With the distance selling regulations it goes one step further .
    Basically , when you get it , if you don't like it you can return it .
    The same as if you had walked into their shop ,and been handed something over the counter .
    Tried it / looked at it .
    Didn't like it , and handed it back .
    They can't refuse to accept it .
    This was the case with mail order goods , even before the internet !

I'm not sure where you stand when I business seller lists an item as "faulty, for spares /repairs , no returns " catagory .
    And then states in in the discription it's faulty .
    I would imagine it makes that listing exempt .
    _--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen plenty of listings from private sellers listing items in the "used" catagory , then stating " untested" in the listing .
    Also stating "in good condition " , "hardly used " , " worked great lady time I used it " , or that old favourite " was my grandad's and he looked after all his photographic equipment well " .

Sold in the "used " catagory , it is required to be in full working order , but with age related marks ( wear and tear etc ).

I've bought a few things which arrived as a piece if junk despite being listed as "used" is it works . Even making sure any damage was hidden by camera straps in the listing to hide things deliberately .
    It was clear that it didn't work before being listed , so the seller was just trying to con people and then saying " it was sold as untested , so I won't take returns ....I don't know anything about cameras .....blah blah blah " .

So now if I've bought something listed as "new" or "used" and it turns up faulty , I just start a case with eBay as "item not as discribed " , they print off a returns note , I send it back and get my money back .

SO ... Stephen .....the big question is , when you listed it , in the category of condition ....
    Did you list it as NEW , USED , or "FAULTY , for spares or repair only ". ?
    Irispective of what you wrote in the discription and photos provided ?

Although I'm guessing your listing discription was perfectly clear and hopefully eBay will side with you if they try it on .

8. Stephen Rundle

100%. I agree with all you say

I bought a print dryer when it arrived the bl**** seller had angled it so that the broken parts did not show, it went straight back

Treat people as YOU want to be treated I was brought up.

neilt3 likes this.
  9. Jim Hughes

Jim Hughes New Member

10. Stephen Rundle

My main concern now is i am selling a telescope to get the deposit for my sons motability car, £1,700, (got one offer so far).

I dread using the money for the motability car deposit when it sells in case there is a comeback, despite all the photographs AND a video, and stating see it before buying and no returns.

It was the last thing my Father bou8ght for me three months before he died and has never been used.

11. Stephen Rundle

The problem is that Ebay are 100% behind the buyer, genuine sellers have to prove 101% they were right and then it may need an appeal.

Being for the buyer is good, no problem there just that it is abused (ok also sellers abuse it), but ............ be fair to all.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Being for the buyer is fine unless you are the seller and the buyer is a crook.

13. Stephen Rundle

As I said as long as it is fair, you are right

14. Jim Hughes

Jim Hughes New Member

Back in the day, in the early years, it was the other way round: ebay protected the seller. At some point scam sellers became such a problem that ebay decided their real customers were the buyers, and they turned it all around. Today, as you say, the seller takes all the risk.

15. Stephen Rundle

Well case closed

PAYS to be HONEST :) :)

lll.jpg

neilt3 likes this.
  16. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Good to see there's still a bit of common sense and the scammers don't always get away with it .
    Guess he had to pay for the parts he's probably robbed off it !

17. Stephen Rundle

He sent an image of a broken shutter to ebay that was NOTHING like the photos in my sale :( :( :(

18. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Well it's in your old camera now since he swapped shutters !
    I bet he's gutted now he's stuck with it .
    He'll have to sell it on again hopefully for a big loss ! :D
    At least you did get stitched up copping for a return .

19. Stephen Rundle

Do you know I never thought of that, B************ hell, I am glad you thought of that no way would I have shee

20. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

That's why I mentioned it in post #8 , so you could cross reference your pictures of it with his.
    That's the advantage of posting plenty of clear pictures on a listing .
    Not just so they can see what their buying , but any issues like this , their pictures could prove something funny is going on .
    Also make sure a shot with the serial number is taken in case they try to send their camera ( etc) back instead of the one you sold !