1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay buyer beware !

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Here is a question for you

If you bought an old camera on Ebay listed as "for parts not working" with photographs showing the broken parts, and stating IN the listing "for parts not working" would you expect to be able to send it back claiming a refund because it was not working ?

Just wondering

Thanks

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No. I would also expect that the bit that broke was the bit that usually broke, so that the bit I wanted was probably broken.

neilt3 likes this.
  3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Somebody trying it on?

S

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I've have had scammers try this on. They'll ask for partial refund next. Inform eBay about the buyer.

neilt3 likes this.
  5. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

Why would anyone do that? First off if it clearly states 'not working' the person wouldn't have any grounds to return an item that's functioning as described,.. or not functioning as the case may be. And I doubt anyone could get more than their money back from the return.

6. Roger_Provins

I've no idea why they do it but I've had several try it on in the 20 years I've been on eBay.

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Surely this is about 'eBay seller beware'? As in the purchaser of your faulty camera may be a complete idiot?

I've seen second items sold 'for spares only'on the websites of the reputable retailers who advertise in AP. The details always state something like 'sold without any guarantee', whereas the usual secondhand stuff has a 3 or 6 month guarantee because it's been checked and is working correctly.

8. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Even money says that anyone trying it on either was dumb enough to think you are mistaken and it just needs a charged battery on it
    OR , more likely , they buy it , get it delivered , take the part out of it that they want , put it back together and then try send it back so they get a full refund , and keep the part they want .

Anyone asking you if they can return it ( if they haven't already bought it ) block them from buying or bidding on your goods .
    They sound iffy from the outset .

9. Roger_Provins

Parts swappers are a nightmare as it's next to impossible to prove.

10. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Big red flag if they contact you first to find out if you'll take a return on something your selling on the basis that it's faulty already !

11. Roger_Provins

Yes, and I even had one idiot in Malaya complaining before he could have received the camera.:(

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My son had extraordinary trouble with Ebay over an usb cable. Buyer complained that it was missing. Fully boxed camera did not include oem usb cable. Description did not include [extra] usb cable. Who on this planet lacks a drawer full of usb cables? But buyer kicked up such a fuss. Took months to get paid.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My Mother for one, I can never find a USB cable in her house unless I take them with me. I can however always find a Lightning cable because she is good at keeping her iPhone and iPad charged, cable for a camera, and she has several, no chance!

14. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Sorry to be the Jonah on this thread but I think that the Distance Selling regulations allow the buyer to return it within 14 days no questions asked

15. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Isn't that when dealing with businesses ?

I'm not sure if selling privately is covered by that if the item is as per discription .

16. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I hope you are right

17. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That is Business to Customer.

18. Roger_Provins

I know this is not too relevant in this case but but for general information. Sometimes with these sort of problems it's worth trying PayPal, providing of course they were used in the transaction, I've had success with them in getting my payment back where eBay were unhelpful. They even warn sellers that payment can be reversed.

19. Stephen Rundle

Never thought of that

20. Stephen Rundle

You are 100% right the UK distance selling regulations do not apply to private sales