1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earth to Tim

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nicxx, Feb 23, 2003.

1. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

Any advice on the lens? See "Decision Time"...

ermx

2. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

You rang m'lady! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Yep, it looks like the pre-Silent Wave version of the 80-200mm. A cracker by all accounts (though I never owned one of these). If Fangs still has it, and you have the readies, I'd say go for it.

Tim BSRIPN
    [​IMG]

3. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

..........and cause I just know.......

........Erm's next question is going to be "so what's Silent Wave then?" it's:

"Silent Wave Motor : The Silent Wave Motor focuses internal lens elements using ultrasonic traveling waves which are converted to rotational energy. This advanced, high-torque motor system is extremely powerful, driving autofocus elements with instant startup, and with exceptionally effective stopping action for superb total response, resulting in high-speed autofocusing with added accuracy, it works and combined with newly designed Nikon autofocus of Focus Tracking as well)

.......so basically it's Nikon's version of Canon's USM (Ultra Sonic Motor). As Tim says this particular lens is the pre silent wave version then it won't be as shit hot at focusing or as quiet in operation as the silent wave version but that doesn't mean it's crap either. Just a little noiser and a teensy bit slower to focus but I suspect in the real world it will make very little difference. At the end of the day it's optical performance that counts and this lens has it in spades...........besides, you can always switch to good old manual focus in tricky lighting situations. Again, just check with Fangs to make sure which version this lens is.

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

4. nicxx

nicxx Well-Known Member

Re: ..........and cause I just know.......

Fangs has sold the lens:-(

Sniffle...[​IMG]
    ermx

5. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

But it had a hapy ending boys and girls!

Erm married the handsome Prince (BigWill) and they lived happily ever after! (Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!)

Big(Who said "handsome ponce?")Will

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

6. Steve Thompson

Steve Thompson Well-Known Member

Re: But it had a hapy ending boys and girls!

And this is a happy ending......... Not for poor Erm it was not.

Steve C Thompson