1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Earth from the air

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by Jvenning, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Jvenning

Jvenning Active Member

Visited the "Earth from the air" exhibition by Yann Arthus-Bertrand in Plymouth last week. Astonishing pictures from around the world - its a must see! Lovely scenes captured ranging from melting glaciers to rolling pattern work fields.

More details can be found here: Earth from air exhibition website

Definately not to miss!

2. Badgerman

Badgerman Well-Known Member

I will second that----Great exhibiton and well worth the visit. - Colin. :) :) :)

3. SteveEM

SteveEM Well-Known Member

Hi,

I saw these some months ago in Birmingham..I think it just shows what 35mm film is really capable of. I have grave doubts that ANY digital SLR could rival these shots.

cheers Steve.

4. Badgerman

You are probably right, but for how much longer will that stand true. The way things are fast advancing, it,s only a matter of time. Colin.

5. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I did see the exhibition in Brum as well. Most pictures i liked but i got the feeling if i'd shot 100,000 over 10 years with the aid of a helicopter i'd probably have quite a few good shots. Does seem a large advert for a good but expensive photo book.

Didn't seem to be a lot of skill involved (me and a mate was disgussing this over beer at the time).

Still nice exhibition and anything that gets people interested in our hobby is a good thing.

6. Badgerman

Hi Stephen, Yes a helicopter was the best bit of kit which aided these shots and whether its me or other people feel the same, I have allways been facinated by photography taken from the air - its probably because It is something we cannot normally see or do ourselves in our lifetimes.
    Colin.

7. Scphoto

Maybe i'm getting too cynical. But as i said good pictures and free as well.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Blimey, sounds like the "your pictures are good, you must have a good camera" argument! ;)

I've not seen it this time round, but I did see the exhibition in London 2 or 3 years ago, and I bought the book. It's worth every single penny, and then some - stunning. IMVHO, of course!

9. Scphoto

Of course its a good camera, its a canon !

Actually the worst pic is the one of him and his camera

The man

10. Peterex

Peterex Member

I just had a browse round the exhibition in Norwich today.
    The pictures are really stunning and well worth a look.
    However I quickly realised that they had been enlarged for the exhibition beyond the capabilities of 35mm (at a guess they are about 6ft X 4ft). I noticed that most people were viewing them from a distance of about 5 or 6 feet! But even viewing them from at least twice that distance grain was very apparent in most of the shots, as was lack of detail. These were apparently original prints too. How I wish in this instance they had been shot on a larger format they would have been magnificent. And I have been a fan of 35mm for many years! I wonder if anyone else had the same impression?