1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Early colour popping!

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by dream_police, May 25, 2015.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

I don't really have one, because although I've seen some superb stuff, I know almost nothing about it. As far as I am concerned -- this replies to Kate too -- it does not seem to be one whit inferior, but it's still very, very different (detail, texture, impasto...) and for the most part a good deal more literal.

Cheers,

R.

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I said in the earlier post it certainly wasn't a photograph but appeared to be done on photo paper, but as to what technique I have no idea.. I wondered why you you wanted to see it. ;)

Awful isn't it?

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Sorry Nige, I thought you meant you weren't sure if it was a photo or not.

Ermmm...

S

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Nige,

Aaargh... yes... thanks.

The hand-coloured "original" may be based on another technique entirely: reducing a print to "pen and ink" (the technique is well written up), then retouching with real pen and ink before hand colouring.

The big difference between the bloody awful experiments of 40+ years ago (and many of us made them) and those of today is that it's a lot quicker today, but usually equally awful. Among other techniques I'm thinking of solarization, Mackie lines, posterization...

Any of these "trick" techniques can be made to succeed, but initially they require luck and after that they need a LOT of practice.

Cheers,

R.

5. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

I'm going for the simpler approach;

how, from two such attractive people, did we end up saddled with you? [​IMG]

actual; in common with many finely executed old prints, the interest is in the 'how they were then', and this is telling us to do the same thing only more so (after all, we have oodles more techno available now).

Whatever, both posts are compelling because the poses and the subjects were so good. Even if taken on a Brownie (I know they weren't), the content is the thing.

IGMC.....

6. dream_police

Haha, cheeky sod!

7. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

Wasn't completely tongue in cheek; part of the appeal of the originals was that they were simple, beautifully classic posed, technically great portraits of 'period' people who had a timeless beauty.

The Man was indeed a proper photographer, God rest him.
    [​IMG]
    Then, of course, there's you....

8. dream_police

This is getting worse..:D

9. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

heh, you ain't THAT bad, some of your pix are quite acceptable, my life......
    [​IMG]

10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

In that last image I looked at, I'd say your eye is very clear (lucky thing) and the eyebrow nicely shaped. Your other half looks lovely and your children have very nice noses and chins.
    Not a bad mix at all at all! :)

Kate

11. dream_police

Haha, you have our parts mixed up! The subjects left eye (blue) and left half of nose is my 17 yr old daughters. The subjects left eye brow (bushier of the 2) is mine as is the left ear. The right eye (brown) is my wife's as is the right half of the nose. Most of the mouth and chin belong to my 22 yr old, some of it my 17 yr olds. Most of the forehead is mine, hence the appearance of a high hairline.

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I did get the forehead. Forgot to mention that. The eyebrow as well. So none of the eyes was yours. All in all, it was brilliant. Should win - definitely!