1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e6 chemistry

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by graham, Jul 29, 2000.

1. graham

graham Member

i am about to start developing my own slide films, i have everthing else sorted but the chemicals.i want to standardise my chemical process right from the word go,and get a kit that is easy to use and can produce good results with.
    Any advice would greatly received.

2. Steve Lewis

Steve Lewis Member

Graham
    I have processed my own slide films for 10 years and have never had any problems. I use Photocolour E6 chemistry and Paterson tanks each of which can take 2 rolls of 35mm or 1 roll of 120. The chemistry is mixed, put into collapable bottles and then along with the film tank and a large bottle of clean water, is placed in a tempering bath. This is nothing more than an old washing up bowl fitted with a thermostatically controlled aquarium heater adjusted to keep the water at 40 degrees C. Agitation is done using the "twizzle stick" in the top of the tank. I've picked up four tanks second hand over the years and this allows me to load and process 8 35mm films in one evening session, making the best use of the chemicals. Not counting my time this system works out at around £1.40 per film.
    The only problem I've encountered with the chemicals is that recently, the bleach fix has needed ten minutes instead of the six recommended in the instructions, but otherwise I've never had any problems. Provided you work to a system and take care with the chemical mixing, the temperature and the times, it works fine every time. Hope this information is of help. Have fun :^)

regards

Steve

3. tonymidd

tonymidd Well-Known Member

E6 is relativly easy to process. I use a Jobo, with the modular system you can process up to 24 120 or 35mm films at one pass and the temperature control is good. I have found the Tetenal kits the most consistent. Check out Firtcall's site for more info on the kits avalable, www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk.It's well worth getting their catalogue.