1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(E-Mount To EF) Sony A7S ii with Cannon EF 24-105mm f/4

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by David Clement, Feb 25, 2017.

1. David Clement

David Clement New Member

Hello, I'm a Film Student.

And I'm going to buy a Sony A7S ii with a Cannon EF24-105mm f/4 as it was recommend for shooting film especially with low light.

But I was also told I would need an E-Mount Sony To Cannon, yet due to my reduced knowledge I have little idea of which one is the cheapest/right one.

If anyone knows I would greatly appreciate any answer.

Btw this are the websites I’m planning to buy from if anyone knows a better one please let me know.

http://dronesforless.co.uk/cameras/sony-alpha-ilce7sm2/b/a7s-ii-mirrorless-digital-camera-body-only/
    https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...es/canon-ef-24-105mm-f-4-l-is-usm/sku-646512/

Thank you so much.!

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You mean video it is a digital not a film camera. I'd think you need to be careful. Most cases of using a lens not made for a particular system is you lose autofocus and there can be all sorts of compatibility issues. Also there are 2 (3 if you count the mkii) 24-105 lenses from Canon.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

At the moment the best Sony for video is the a7S II which is E mount camera.
    So choose a lens from Sony's E mount range not from another make with a converter.

4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Firstly, I have never heard of the two companies, from which you intend to purchase, so I'm unable to offer any advice on them - other than the usual caveat emptor. If it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

Secondly, there are complications with regard to mounting EOS lenses onto other cameras. This is mainly because - unless you purchase one of the (expensive) adapters, which permit electronic data throughput - the camera will be unable to control the lens aperture setting.

For a wealth of information specifically regarding EOS-to-Sony e-mount adapters, I suggest that you look on this website.

I hope this will help.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

MPB advertise in AP, and seem to be a reputable s/h dealer.

I would suggest, though, that if you want a Sony body, get a native-fir lens, or if you want a Canon lens, get a native-fit body.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It'll be hard to get a Douglas Fir in your gadget bag, even if it's a Bonsai.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I would suggest that you read the FAQ and T&Cs section on the website for the body. I suspect these are not UK supplied stock.

I would echo that it would be advisable to buy compatible items from the outset, i.e. Canon/Canon or Sony/Sony.

8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I agree, it's certainly easier and less expensive (no adapter to purchase) to use Canon/Canon and Sony/Sony. However, it is well-established that many (though by no means, all) Canon lenses work very well with Sony Alpha cameras - provided that an appropriate adapter is used.

There is much detail on all of this on the website to which I referred the OP.

9. William Bickers-Jones

William Bickers-Jones Active Member

The main issue is that there doesn't seem to be a suitable lens in the Sony range (right now, but they are being introduced in droves at the moment). I've got a Sony A7Rii, and don't have such a zoom, as I need wide apertures for dance photography in poor light, so generally use prime lenses. There are 24-70 and 28-70 lenses about, one of which is a constant f4. I'd love a 24-105 f2.8, but doubt I'd survive the heart attack brought on by the price, if such a thing existed. I have a mixture of Sony, Zeiss, Sigma and Samyang lenses, and like the fact that it's possibly the best camera out there for ability to use lenses from all manner of manufacturers. The most frequently mentioned adaptors seem to be Metabones and Fotodiox, but the only one i have is a Sony one to allow using lenses with Sony A mount, such as my Sigma 150-500 zoom. Don't worry about using an adaptor, its fine! You'll still have your autofocus, no problem.

10. William Bickers-Jones

William Bickers-Jones Active Member

Oops, I've just noticed a Sony 18-110 F4 zoom, priced at £3299, and not quite available yet. Its intended for video use. Its shown on the WEX website, but I haven't looked on the Sony website yet, but they are a bit slow in telling us about their new stuff.