1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dynax 7

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by daveproctor, Oct 24, 2000.

1. daveproctor

daveproctor Member

Is this available yet and if so has anyone any experience of it?

2. DHarman

DHarman Well-Known Member

We tested the Dynax 7 in the September 16 issue and it is an innovative camera with really useful gadgets - rather than gadgets for their own sake.

It's not the Dynax 9, but it is a smart, lightweight addition to the Minolta Dynax range and worth a viewing by anyone in the market for an AF SLR in the £600 price bracket.

Doug Harman: AP

3. muci

muci Member

Hi, Doug!
    Should I understand that Dynax 9 is still better than the new 7? I have carefully read the specifications for both cameras; Dynax 7 appears to be very innovative, with a lot of really useful "gadgets" as you said, facilities that Dynax 9 lacks. I am probably wrong, but except for the shortest exposure time, 1/12000 (truly amazing)instead of 1/8000, 9 is with nothing superior to 7.
    What is your professional opinion? Can you kindly detail a little?
    Thanks!
    Respect,
    George

4. DHarman

DHarman Well-Known Member

The Dynax 7 and 9 are designed as a mid-rage (the 7) and top-end professional (the 9) cameras respectively.

While the Dynax 7 has many great features, its build quality and handling characteristics are, in my view, infererior to the Dynax 9.

In simple terms the Dynax 7 has been designed to gain a march on its competitors like the Canon EOS 3 and the Nikon F90X and F100; with which it competes - because of the price bracket it falls into and its specification.

However, we awarded the Dynax 9 our AP Camera of the Year Award 2000 for a good reason - it's a darn good camera. And given that it aims to compete with the likes of the Nikon F5 and Canon EOS 1V - but is much less expensive - if you're in the game for a change of system then Minolta looks like a good bet to me.

Ultimately you 'pays yer money'. But there's another camera in the offing next year, Pentax's MZ-S. Lets see what the new Pentax's pro spec SLR has to offer. It looks really cool and could shake-up the market even more.

Doug Harman: AP