1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dynax 7 Users please advise!!

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Inspirity, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Inspirity

Inspirity Member

I've decided on a Dynax 7 package, but have difficulty choosing which one as I haven't had much experience with the particular equipment. Here's are my choices:

1) Dynax 7 & 24-105 f3.5/4.5 D lens (best price £750 including Minolta bag)

2) Dynax 7 & Tamron 28-300 f3.5/5.6 LD Asph (£750 including Minolta Bag)

3) Dynax 7 Body & Dynax 5 & 28-80 D & 75-300 D & MB1 bag (£811)

My main purpose for the camera is for Landscape & Macro shots. Also a camera for travels. Which would be the best choice in terms of versatility, Photographic quality.

Your help and advice is much appreciated.
    Many Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Wingy

2. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

Do options 1 & 3 include Minolta lenses or independant's. Either way I think I'd go for opion 3. 2 bodies/2 lenses for only an extra £61

Geoff

3. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Wingy,

As a 7 owner, I would go for option 3, as you are getting an extra body (dynax 5) that supposedly has many of the capabillities of the 7 you are also getting 2 of the new D series lenses which use the ADI system of these cameras.
    If you can, try and get the VC7 grip that goes with the 7 it helps ballance the camera better and gives you additional battery/power flexibillity.

Enjoy the 7, it is a fantastic bit of kit

Regards

<font color=blue>RonM</font color=blue>/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

4. raminolta

raminolta Member

Options 1 or 3

Option 3 sounds a good deal since you get two bodies and two lenses and the price is just 61 more than option 1. I own 24-105D and it pretty a good lens in its class. The other lenses are new and i guess you need to look hard around to find a review or test of them. Note that the lens tests for older 28-80 and 75-300 minolta lenses says nothing about these new versions because they have significantly changed optically according to Minolta.
    Minolta has used several aspherical elements to reduce the weight of these lenses and aspherical elements are usually a sign of better perfoemance.
    I don't recomend the option 2. Lenses with such a long focal length are usually of low quality. Have not heard
    good news about that lens either.
    Good luck with your purchase . I own Maxxum./Dynax7 and can't be happier with another camera more than this.
    I am happy with my choice.
    Ramin

5. Inspirity

Inspirity Member

Thanks to RonM, Geoff and Ramin.
    Your advice has been so helpful. As all 3 of you have said to go for option 3, that's exactly what I've done!!!!!! I'm awaiting delivery on Friday. It's going to be a long sleepless Thrusday night!!!
    Minolta Rules!!!!! Dynax forever!!!! (Sorry, got a bit carried away!!!)
    I'll keep you posted on how I got on with the cameras.
    Again many thanks you guys.
    Cheers!!!

Wingy

6. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Hi,
    I just left a message at your film enquiry, and then found this while browsing. I'm not a Minolta user, so have no comment here, but if your chosen lenses are variable aperture I DO NOT recommend using Velvia as your main film. In anything less than bright sun you'll find your shutter speeds running very low, without the means to compensate due to slow lenses.
    Good Luck and enjoy your new outfit!

Get out and get shooting!!

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Tim, ever hear of tripods or monopods?
    Wingy, use Velvia in one and Provia 400F in the other. Velvia is still the best colour film in the world, and a monopod, table tripod or whatever makes it perfectly usable in just about any conditions. Be aware of the problem, but use Velvia!

Nick

8. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

Tim,

surely it depends upon what the variable apertures on the lenses are.

i would prefer a 75-300 f3.5-4.5 than a 75-300 F4.5 fixed.

Even so I dont believe that the variable aperture should cause a problem in general usage with velvia. The easiest and cheapest solution is to carry a variety of films for diferent situations, maybe Velvia and some Sensia for lower lighting (or for use with flash as it seems to be less contrasty)

KR

Paul"Burgy"Burgman

9. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Agreed, perhaps I'm biased. The v.a. lenses I've used were 3.5-5.6 . Like I said I don't know Minolta's system so the aps on the lenses in question are a mystery to me.
    Nick, a tripod is ok, but in some situations its not an option. Do you really cart one round everywhere you go?

Get out and get shooting!!

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No, hardly ever. I love my Manfrotto 190, but only take it if I'm using my Mamiya 645, really. But I do use a monopod a lot, and it's a sensible, realistic option (also very cheap!) that can make all the difference (a couple of stops worth, anyway). Certainly it's far easier and better to carry a monopod than forego Velvia. Mind, I've also replaced my 3.5-5.6 lens with a 3.5-4.5 one of greater focal range, and bought a constant ap f2,8 telezoom as well!

Nick FRIPN

11. Inspirity

Inspirity Member

Nick,
    Thanks. Will try Velvia. I've also bought about 6 different types of film. It's going to be fun!!!!! The Dynax 5 & 7 arrived today. The 7 is a beast!!!! Trying to take in all the info. The 5 is too small for my big hands so it's going to the Mrs. She seems to like it!!!
    Cheers.

Wingy

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Excellent. Have fun!

Nick FRIPN

13. Malinois

Malinois Well-Known Member

Hi,
    where did you get deal 3 from?????

14. Inspirity

Inspirity Member

I got the Option 3 from : www.cameras-at-lowest-prices.co.uk
    (freephone: 0800 028 4826)

£361 for Dynax 5 28-80 D & 75-300 D and Minolta MB1 Bag
    £457 for Dynax 7 body

Done my first roll of film in both Cameras. Sent the films off for processing. Can't wait to see the results!!!!

Cheers.

Wingy