1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dynax 5

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by jhill, Oct 4, 2001.

1. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Nikki,

As another 7 owner I can confirm what John has said to you it is a tremendous camera and personally I think (No I know) it has improved my photography it is probably down to confidence, the camera feels right in my hands, I know it will do exactly what I want and expect of it, overall I feel confident it will provide me with the results I want and this to me is what a 'workmans' tool should do, help him or her to do a better job.
    If Minolta were to announce the release of a Dynax 8 i.e. a newer better version of the 7 I'd probably be one of the first in the queue.

<font color=blue>RonM IRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

2. Little_miss13

Little_miss13 Well-Known Member

I breifly had my first look at the Dynax 5 yesterday, in Jessops. I have to admit, after only using my Minolta x700, I found the Dynax 5 quite intimidating. In technical terms, I am still a baby when it comes to photography and the salesman was bombarding me with too much info. I didn't like teh fact it didn't have an actual aperture ring. Is this the same with most electronic cameras now. If I put it inot manual mode, can I stil manual focus etc.
    Also, he showed me the Canon EOS 300 (which he said was the competitor against the Dynax 5). Have you had any dealings with this camera and how does it truly compare. I am grateful for any advice. I would really like to buy a second camera body but don't want to feel intimidated by it.

&lt;font color=purple&gt; Nikki &lt;/font color=purple&gt;
    &lt;a href="http://mysite.freeserve.com/nikkimcdonald" target="_blank"&gt;mysite.freeserve.com&lt;/a&gt;

3. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Ron, our resident Minolta man will probably say the exact opposite, but if I were you I'd go for the Canon EOS300 which is a much more intuitive camera to handle in my opinion. A lot of AF cameras don't have an aperture ring on the lens and it is usually controlled by a dial on the camera body. It takes a bit of adjustment when you are used to the ring being on the lens but after using it for a short while it will become second nature to you.
    On the point about using an AF camera for focusing manually, yes you can simply by switching off the AF. I don't recommend it though as most AF lenses are very highly geared and thus manual focusing can be fiddly. On that point, are you sure you really WANT or even NEED an AF camera? The Minolta X700 you already own is a superb camera with every feature a photographer could possibly want. Unless you have a problem with your eyesight, why not consider sticking with manual focus and buy a second Minolta body to compliment the X700?

BigWill

<font color=blue>I cannot be other than that I am!<font color=black>

4. Little_miss13

Thanks for the advice BigWill. I am just starting up my photography, after a long break, and I am naturally a gadget lover. So, I guess I went straight for the latest gadget (after AP told me it had been voted the best SLR camera). I do love my x700 and wouldn't be without it. I wanted another body, so naturally looked at the latest Minolta - hoping it might increase my skill as well!
    I have taken your advice on board and don't plan to mkae a final desicion until Christmas time.
    Can you recommend another camera for my second body?

5. BigWill

Well if you go down the manual focus route Nikki there are loads of secondhand Minolta X700 and X300's about for very little money. Take a look at www.ffordes.com for some nice clean bargains. They have a very clean little Minolta X300 with 50mm f1.7 for sale for £79.00

If you want to buy new, then you can get a Minolta X370S from Jessops for £169.90 www.jessops.co.uk

Jessops also sell new the Centon DF300 body for £99.90 which is a Chinese made Minolta X300 clone but the build quality is a bit sus on those so I would tend to avoid it.

BigWill

6. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Nikki,

Would tend to agree with Will, there are plenty of S/H X700 and X300 camera bodies out there along with a good number of excellent MD Rokkor lenses and other accessories to go with those bodies.
    If you are going to go down the Autofocus route then do have a good look around and see what there is that will suit you. As you have mentioned the Dynax 5 has won a lot of Photography Industry awards as did it's big brother the Dynax 7 last year. In my opinion (and Will is right I'm slightly biased, just as he is with Canons) the new Minolta Dynax family 4, 5 and 7 would appear to be beating the rest of the other marques by quite a margin.
    The final choice must be you finding a camera that 'feels' absolutely right for you, that it is ballanced in your hands, the controls are laid out to make life easy for you and you are confident that it will do what you want it to do.
    Whatever you do eventually go for, enjoy the search that's sometimes half of the fun.

<font color=blue>RonM IRIPN</font color=blue>
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: Dynax 5/ lil miss

"Also, he showed me the Canon EOS 300 (which he said was the competitor against the Dynax 5). Have you had any dealings with this camera and how does it truly compare."

Nikki,

The Dynax 5 (Maxxum 5 in N.A.) is a much better camera than the EOS 300.
    The Dynax 5 is on par with the EOS 30/33 (Elan 7/7E in N.A.) with the ex-
    ception of size although there is Battery Pack that can be added to the
    Dynax 5 to give it some more size, if that is important to you.

The salesperson should have let you know that the Dynax 4 is in the same
    league as the EOS 300 (Rebel 2000 in N.A.). Also, it depends what you intend
    to with your photography as to what camera you want to be looking at purchasing.
    If your intent is to 'friends/family/holiday' photos then I think that either
    the EOS 300 or the Dynax 4 will be adequate. However, if your aspirations may
    be greater,ie: sports/action photography area, then the Dynax 5 would be (IME)
    a better camera for you. Also, just to throw in another ball for you to
    juggle, have you considered the Pentax MZ-6 whose price has just dropped to
    match the Dynax 5 and the EOS 300 in Canada, at least. The MZ-6 is more on par with the Dynax 5, features wise and a tad larger as well.

Hope this is more helpful than confusing.

&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt;

Jack

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing!&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif"&gt;

8. Little_miss13

I promise I will take your advice on board and am enjoying looking through the lists in AP. However, i wish to ask a few, what might seem dim questions:
    When I see the lists of lens they quite often have two figures (I assume they are apertures) mentioned e.g. 70-210/4.5-5.6 Vivitar. Can someone explain these figures to me.
    Also, there are different initials with some lenses, which I assume are not part of some model number. e.g APO, MD, MC. What do all they mean?
    And lastly, this may seem even dimmer:
    Do all lenses fit to all cameras or, if not, can you by adapters so that they do?

I would appreciate it if you humour me a little. I have been taking photos for many years but since I started reading AP (a few weeks ago) I realise just how little technical stuff I know.

9. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

Yes Nikki, you've got it in one!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

70-210 refers to the lens's zoom range, i.e. 70mm at the short end, and 210mm fully extended.

The next set of figures are the effective maximum apertures, normally at the two extremes, so on the example you've given, the Vivitar will have a max. aperture of f/4.5 at the 70mm end, and f/5.6 at the 210mm end. Some lenses have a constant maximum aperture, but these tend to be very expensive.

APO refers to the design of the elements within the lens, but I wouldn't worry too much about that for now. MC & MD refer to the lens MOUNT, although the actual mounts are the same, and lenses are interchangeable. MC is the earlier version, and on this version, the lens 'Tells' the camera the SET aperture on the lens. On the later MD version the lens also 'Tells' the camera the MAXIMUM aperture of the lens. This is only required on cameras which have either shutter priority or program modes, such as the X-700.

So, any manual MC or MD lens will fit any manual camera, but you may lose some exposure modes with an MC lens mounted on a later MD mount camera.

BUT, the Autofocus cameras have a totally different lens mount. The 35mm AF SLRs have the Minolta 'A' mount, and the APS SLRs have the Vectis mount. These are not interchangeable, either with each other, or with the manual MC/MD mount.
    You may well be able to buy an adaptor to allow an MC/MD lens to be fitted to a camera with the 'A' mount, but unless you have lots of manual lenses, it will probably not be worth it, as you will lose autofocus, and an adaptor will either alter the focal length of your lenses, (If it has extra lens elements) or you may not be able to focus to infinity./img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

As the Vectis lenses were designed for the smaller APS format they will probably be useless on a 35mm camera, even if an adaptor were available, they would probably cause severe vignetting.

Geoff

10. Little_miss13

Thanks Geoff,
    I think I am clear with all of it now. Let me just confirm.
    Regarding the set of figures. At the two ends of the spectrum, the max. aperture is altered (I have never noticed this on the two zoom lenses I have, which is why it confused me)
    As I have the X700, I have an MD lens. If I am looking for other lenses, I must look for the MD mount lens.
    If I buy the Dynax 5, my lenses will not be interchangeable. If looking for manual focus non-minolta lenses I just have to check that they are MD, not Vectis or A mount.
    Am I correct with all of this?
    Thank you for your patience and help.

<font color=purple> Nikki </font color=purple>
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/nikkimcdonald

11. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

That's about right Nikki. It may be that your 2 zooms have a constant maximum aperture. If so, all the better.
    Although only the largest aperture will be marked on the actual aperture ring. There may be more details on the ring around the front element.

We're only too happy to help, after all, we've all had to learn as well! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

You could use an MC lens on your X-700, but you would only have Aperture Priority and Manual metering modes

Geoff

12. Little_miss13

Thanks Geoff,
    You've been a big help. I will enjoy my search for more lenses - what fun.
    I will for ever be back to gain more advice. Make sure you're around /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif
    Thanks again.
    Be sure to look at my new website and give me your honest opinion /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

http://mysite.freeserve.com/nikkimcdonald

13. Larry Shone

Larry Shone Well-Known Member

except the D4 doesnt have DOF preview which the EOS300 does have,useful if your shooting for foreground interest and intend to eliminate background.

click,whirr,splutter,I want it to stop bloody raining!
    Larry AKA Boz ®

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well said, Larry. The 5 is a great camera - unless you find it too small, in which case it's a terrible camera.

Nick BSRIPN

15. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Touche, my friend.
    As does the MZ-6 which I failed to mention.&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/frown.gif"&gt;

&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt;

Jack

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing!&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif"&gt;

16. Larry Shone

depends what youre comfortable with,not what the guy behind the counter at Jessops tells you
    I'm really annoyed at Jessops,can you tell? &lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif"&gt;

Leave nothing but footprints,take nothing but photographs.

17. Little_miss13

When looking for a new camera, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. AP informed me the Dynax 5 had been voted the best 35mm SLR, so that's a good start for me. I love Minolta after using my x700 for many years. I only have a small hands (being a petite young girlie), so I don't think I will have any problems handling wise with the 5. Thank you so much for everyone's advice.

And, No, I won't be buying it from Jessops! I have seen it cheaper else where. It won't be for another six months, either - skint and in student debt still! &lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt;

&lt;A HREF="http://mysite.freeserve.com/nikkimcdonald"&gt;http://mysite.freeserve.com/nikkimcdonald&lt;/A&gt;

18. Larry Shone

funny thing is,i bought my EOS300(which i fell in love with straight away!) at a branch of jessops 3 years ago and I'm still paying for it!

Leave nothing but footprints,take nothing but photographs.

19. Little_miss13

Ouch.
    I do like the EOS300 but I like to be loyal to my Minolta. Does that sound stupid?

&lt;A HREF="http://mysite.freeserve.com/nikkimcdonald"&gt;http://mysite.freeserve.com/nikkimcdonald&lt;/A&gt;

20. BigWill

Yes! Get a Canon! /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Big(Prejudiced!)Will