1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dynax 5

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by jhill, Oct 4, 2001.

1. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

Has anyone out there either used or owned the Dynax 5.
    I would be interested to hear your opinion on it to see if I am being picky, over-critical or just had an unrealistic expectations on a "cheap" SLR.

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

There is nothing wrong with the Dynax 5. It is a fine SLR. You will be able to take many fine photographs with it. You could also do the same with a £50 Zenit. It is a matter of what you want from a 35mm camera. If the Minolta suits, then go for it!
    BigWill

3. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

Hmmm,it must be me then, perhaps I was just expecting too much ( I am new to all this camera malarky) But I couldn't get along with it. Then again perhaps I'm just being a bit unrealistic.(or too easily led by media hype)

4. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Don't listen to the hype John. The Dynax 5 is a fine camera, period! Enjoy.
    BigWill

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

If you're using cheap zoom lenses and slide film, or enlarging prints to a decent size you'll probably get poor results. The Dynax 5 is a perfectly sound camera (too small and light for my personal taste, though) but it's the lenses that count

Nick CRIPN

6. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

If, as a beginner you're disappointed by your pics, don't worry!! Its a rare person who isn't. When you see great shots in books and mags its easy to be discouraged-this I know from experience./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Just tell yourself that even the well-known names put half or more of their pics straight in the bin!!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif It isn't a pushover this photography lark. I'm rarely satisfied with more than a quarter of the shots on a roll, and usually less than that.

Get out and get shooting!!

7. SCT

SCT Well-Known Member

Quite right there Tim. Out of two hundred shots taken in Austria over the last 8 months I think I got about a dozen that looked god enough to post.

So to anyone that is starting out just remember to keep at it. Read the books. And one other tip. make a note of each shot you take and when the prints come back examine and not what could be better. Oh and bracket for each shot.

Steve C Thompson IRIPN

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Dead right, Steve and Tim. Some of the best advice I've ever seen here!

Nick CRIPN

9. SCT

SCT Well-Known Member

And from the biggest nutters intern'd here.

Steve C Thompson IRIPN

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Just shows - we can all be sensible at times!

Nick CRIPN

11. SCT

SCT Well-Known Member

I think the medication is starting to work. Nurse can I go home now....

Steve C Thompson IRIPN

12. TimF

Definitely, read books. But, don't take them too literally-use them as a starting point for your own explorations into this wonderful world./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

13. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

John,

Although I've seen the Dynax 5, I've not used it, however, I have got its bigger brother the 7, the capabillity of the 5 is probably as good as anything comparable in its class, maybe even a bit better, the one thing you do have going for you is the lens that comes with the 5, it is one of minoltas latest and newest lenses out and is designed to work specifically with the new Dynax 5 & 7, It always takes a bit of time to get used to a new camera, it is very much like a craftsman with his tools, it takes time to get the best out of them and that only comes with experience, try to forget about the 'niggles' and enjoy taking photographs.

Kind Regards
    /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif<font color=blue>RonM

14. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

I don't have an issue with the quality of picture or the specification but in trying to cram so much into such a small body for such a good price it seems as though usability and dubability lost out. I found it cramped and awkward to use and it seemed very fragile.

Ignorance is bliss-I am a very happy bunny

15. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

Although I only had it for a few months I shot a lot of film through it and, and perhaps it is just me, I found the things that niggled me made using it less fun than it should have been. I have since traded up to a 7, very wasteful of money I know but the difference in usability and build quality, for me anyway, was worth the extra.

16. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

I had bought the 24-105 D and the 100-300 apo D lenses and it seemed to do a good jod of slide film (although a more experienced person may not agree but not knowing any diferrent I can't say). But the 100-300 lens seemed to be too much for the body to cope with. the camera is so small and light that when mounted on a tripod I was worried about the weight of the lens hanging off the end unsupported. It also seemed to be struggling with the focus which is a lot stiffer than the cheaper lenses supplied with it. I would dare not put a larger lens on it.

17. TimF

Glad to hear it John!!&lt;img src="/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif"&gt;

Good luck with your 7 !

18. raminolta

raminolta Member

As faras i understand, you are just worried without anything happenning so far. It's true the 5 is not suitable to be used with heavy lenses. But i suspect 100-300 one is that heavy for
    it. I thing you still can mount this lens on this camera. Or if you are still worried, just mount 100-300
    on your 7 and use 24-105 on 5.
    For therprice you paid for 5 you had the option to go for an older style manula focus camera (like Minolta X700) which is much sturdier than Dynax 5 but has no AF and many of those features of
    5. Once we go for a modern AF SLR, we have already agreed to what get and what we don't get
    motre feature but a poycarbonate body (unless we pay tons of money to have both ona top level
    pro camera.
    Ramin

19. Little_miss13

Little_miss13 Well-Known Member

Did you ever buy the Dynax 5? i would be interested to hear what conclusion you came to since your posting

&lt;font color=purple&gt; Nikki &lt;/font color=purple&gt;
    &lt;a href="http://mysite.freeserve.com/nikkimcdonald" target="_blank"&gt;mysite.freeserve.com&lt;/a&gt;

20. jhill

jhill Well-Known Member

Yes, I did buy a dynax 5 and was very happy with the quality of the photos it too. However, I found that I was less than happy sticking really big lenses on it so I have traded up to a Dynax 7 since then.
    The 7 is a lovely camera and I am over the moon with it. if you want a general, light weight, high quality camera I dont think you will be dissapointed with the 5. If you are going to get serious about your photograpy it may be as well to go straight to the 7 as it handles sooooo much better
    Hope this helps.

jhill

Never turn your back on reality-reality has very sharp teeth.