1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DxO Optics Pro 6

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Roger_Provins, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Anyone used this software? Any comments or observations - do you like the product?

Free trial here

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I tried the free version of this or may be an earlier version, and have since removed it from my computer. This is a very rare thing for me to do.

I'm guessing, but I think I found that Canon's updated DPP did everything I wanted.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

6 is only just out, so it's unlikely to be that version you've tried.

4. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried 6 but I have 5 and I really really like it. I thought it produced excellent quality images and very easily. For most pictures, the automatic mode seemed to do as well as I could and it was easy to tweak if necessary.

The only downside, is that it is very slow in processing images once the adjustments have been made. Not a major problem for me because I don't do huge amounts of batch processing but for some it would be an issue.

Definitely worth a look at 6 I would have thought.

Willie

5. TonyKillay

TonyKillay Well-Known Member

I too have installed but not yet tried v6 to any great extent. But since installing DxO it has become my raw converter of choice. I never installed the Canon converter that came with my 40D and the Adobe ACR is now out of date as I have CS3, but I don't know if there has been a major update.

I agree with verything Willie has said and I would recommend a serious trial

Tony

6. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I upgraded to V6 the moment DxO emailed me about the new release. The only thing I've really noticed is a neater interface and a tidier treatment of converging verticals. I believe the noise reduction is also improved but it's early days and when I return from holiday in the next few days I'll give it a real work out.

Willie mentions the (slow) speed of batch processing. I just leave it running over night. It will use as many cores as are available, Quad cores will process four files at a time so when the Mac Pro comes out with a pair of 6 core processors that will be twelve at a time. :)

I've used DxO for years and am absolutely sold on it.

7. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

I have DxO v 5.3.4 and received the upgrade email. When looking to upgrade I notice there is a charge for this but I thought upgrades were free? All previous upgrades have been free and I thought all future upgrades were also free or has this changed now?

8. TonyKillay

Paul, I don't recall paying for the upgrade - perhaps the offer has expired

Tony

9. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info. There isn't usually a time limit as far as I'm aware. When I looked on the site I was offered a free upgrade from v 5.3.4 to v 5.3.5 but to upgrade to v 6 was £29.

I may have to email the company and see what the score is.

10. TonyKillay

Paul

have you tried logging into yr account? On the login page they mention free upgrades see here

Rgds
    Tony

11. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Hi Tony,

Yes, I have logged into my account but I can't see the 'free' upgrade option. It mentions 'free' upgrades on the login page but onced logged in there is no free upgrade option showing. I have just upgraded to v5.3.5 with no problem but still can't see the free upgrade option.

I also have the DxO FilmPack, currently v1.2 and there is a charge of £17 to upgrade to v2.0.

Something not quite right. I think I'll send off an email to the company and see what they say.

12. Paul_R

Paul_R Well-Known Member

Received an email back from DxO advising that the free upgrade offer is only for customers who purchased on or after June 1, 2009. I purchased mine before that so no free upgrade.