1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DURST M605 Enlarger

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by jbphoto, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Astrobob

Astrobob Member

I have examined the 17 page online Operators manual for the Durst M605 where it states that the filter drawer takes a 75x75 mm filter. So it should be easily possible to find or if need be cut the filters down to that size. Thankyou to those who have responded to my inquiry.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I may have a set of Ilford multi grade filters the right size, I’ll check.

3. Astrobob

Astrobob Member

For anyone in search of the 17 page Durst M605 operating manual, it is available as a free pdf at <www.jollinger.com> .

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Sorry, mins is an F30 so different size.

5. Astrobob

Astrobob Member

Sir, I understand about the filters. There appear to have been so many variants of the Durst enlargers, I have never found any listing of all the variants. So anybody getting back into analog photography needs to do some seriously deep searching looking for anything duch as slare parts or even the lamps used in any particular model. Try finding a replacement lamp for the Durst M605 B&W head. The manual only mentions the wattage and you have to use the power cord plug as an indication as to the voltage. I bought my Durst in 1978 as I was living and working in West Germany at the time. It was easy finding 110-120 volt outlets and or adapters or transformers. The frequency was 50 hz as compared to our 60 hz, so those values did not effect the luminosity of the lamps that much. When I brought it home to the states, it already had an American standard 110 plug so I could just plug it in. With a variable transformer it was and still easy to adjust the voltage so that the lamp would function as it did in Germany. But since the manual and the bulb did not list the part number many companies can not directly help with finding any replacement lamps. I have seen on this thread where some people have found a 75w or 150wlamps as opposed to the 100w called out in the manual. With no futher information about that lamp it might be possible to experiment to determine the actual spectral output so that maybe the head could be modified to use a halogen lamp or even try to find an LED array but again that goes back to the actual spectral output. If either of those two possible modifications are to be considered then a new problem pops up namely the voltage and current stabilization as a simple variable transformer might not put out an accurately stable voltage. The stabilization method might work but you would still need to know the lamp output as the spectral output may vary depending on the voltage and current usage which in spectroscopy are two critical factors when trying to obtain a spectrum. All of this has to be examined when considering any modifications. Then there is also the possibility of needing to replace the wiring as the more solid state circuity you add, then the more the system becomes sensitive it can be to Static, RFI and or EMI effects which can show up just from a light or a refrigerator compressor motor, or an air conditioner, or a neighborhood Ham Radio operator, or even an Public access Radio or TV transmitter. These are effects seen in many communications gear including computers as well as onboard aircraft comm and nav gear. So as I mentioned above there are many things to think about, so first I am persuing finding replacements rather than modifications. Modifications should always be considered using the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle as OLR (objects of last resort). Sorry for the military acronyms. They come second nature to me after having working and using them for 30 years.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I understand there were problems where the supply of enlarger lamps are concerned, they are not standard incandescent bulbs, having a different filament design and frosting complete to the base, I seem to recall reading they were no longer being produced. I do have a few tucked away, not that I ever do wet printing, despite still owning an enlarger.

7. Astrobob

Astrobob Member

Thanks for mentioning the lamps. But there is no need for any replacements at this time. One thing about working around the military is that when you purchase a piece of equipment, you also purchase spares.