1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Durst 605 or Meopta Opemus 6

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by fulvio, May 11, 2006.

1. fulvio

fulvio Well-Known Member

I have been offered an Opemus 6 enlarger, for nothing apart from the journey to pick it up. I am quite tempted as I think it is a condensor enlarger. I used to be very keen on my Durst, which has a colour head and has a difused light source, but I suspect prints are definitely flatter than with my old Soviet Cold War brief case enlarger, which I still occasionally use. should I make the trip or not?

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Course you should! It's free innit! Never look a gift horse etc. What else would you be doing that day anyway! :D ;)

BigWill

3. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

2nd that, all the parts are easily obtainable in the unlikely event that you need them. I have the colour head version for 35mm to 6x6, well made if not exactly pretty, :D

Richard

4. fulvio

fulvio Well-Known Member

Not really free, it being in W Wales. I could probably buy two for the petrol money from London alone. It'll have to wait until we are visting family anyway.

But my question is: is this an improvement on the Durst, which is a pretty well made piece of it? The Meopta is the B&W version, so I reckon it's condensor type.

5. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

I would definitely give the Meopta a try. You've got nothing to lose and, you are right, condenser enlargers do accentuate detail and contrast. Are you 100% sure it is a condenser type? I ask because many people do print B&W on colour enlargers and assume they are therefore 'dedicated' B&W enlargers, which they ain't. If all else fails, you could try finding a condensor head for your Durst. I saw one listed recently (can't remember where) for £30.

6. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

I'd go for it the Meopta range are solidly built (I've got a 7) and parts/heads are obtainable new/secondhand relatively readily. For my Opemus 7 I have both Condenser and Colour heads although I tend to use the Colour head for all of my B&W work