1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Duplication of uploaded raw files

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by swanseadave, Jun 25, 2020.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I`ve been editing the raw files for 2019 Lake Como holiday photos and when I reached August 30th I found that
    all the .ARW files for that date have uploaded twice.Why would that happen?All were in separate folders on the CF card,one folder per day.
    Can anyone come up with an explanation why this might have happened?I`m baffled.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Nine times out of ten it is finger trouble. Do you mean you uploaded them somewhere or do you mean downloaded to a computer? The second set must have something appended to the file_name (_2 or _copy_2 or something similar) which will make them easy to select and delete.

3. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle Well-Known Member

Occasionally I have right clicked a group and inadvertently created duplicates

4. swanseadave

Pete,it happened while uploading to PC from Bridge.I was not aware at the time,only since processing in CS4.
    All of the several duplicates have a different file number leading at first to thinking I had duplicated the shots.I then noticed they were exact copies,except the file number.

The plot thickens.
    Stephen,I always upload directly from Bridge,usually making coffee at the same time.

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

If they have distinct file nos it probably happened in camera and at the moment the shutter button was pressed. Is the camera under warranty?

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Stupid question: was the camera set to multi-shot? I've put my A65 into that mode unintentionally in the past.

7. PeteRob

If the file numbers are different and in sequence then you took more than one exposure. Having the camera in burst mode (multi-shot) is the simplest explanation though I would have thought you would have noticed at the time.

8. swanseadave

"If they have distinct file nos it probably happened in camera and at the moment the shutter button was pressed. Is the camera under warranty?"

No Roger,it`s a Sony Alpha 350 10-12 years old.I bought it with a very low shutter count.

"If the file numbers are different and in sequence then you took more than one exposure. Having the camera in burst mode (multi-shot) is the simplest explanation though I would have thought you would have noticed at the time."

Thanks Pete.I actually never use burst mode.I took 20 shots that day,which is immediately followed by another 20 which are exact duplicates except for the file number,which makes 40 shots.

I always have the camera set for YYYY/MONTH/DATE followed be a four digit number.Why would the memory card show 20 exposures I did not make?

It was extremely hot that day,in the mid 30s.Could that be a factor?It`s behaved perfectly ever since.

9. PeteRob

Has it got 2 card slots and an option to make a back up copy?

Edit: I've never turned this feature on on my cameras. I have 3 that can do this.

10. swanseadave

No Pete just the one CF slot