1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSLR vs Bridge Camera

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by philneale99, Aug 1, 2008.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It was a perfectly good answer. A bridge is not an SLR nor ( based on the one we have) an enthusiast compact but for general walkabout it is hard to beat.

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Depending on the model they can do low-light. Plus if you secure the camera then you can keep the ISO down thus bypassing the main negative of the bridge sensor size.

[​IMG]

I agree DOF is a really issues. But I have done action on a bridge. :)

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

This long thread on another website deals with the Canon SX40 HS, and has plenty of examples.
    Whilst I have several DSLRs I bought an SX40 HS about 4 months ago, and am gradually getting better results from it - to the extent that I'm not using my expensive long teles anywhere near as much as I used to do!

OK, my DSLRs and long lenses are much better at proper high fps shooting, but I'm now getting used to shooting at max zoom (equiv to 840mm on full frame) hand-held, with sharp results!

Size comparison

Angle of view comparison

4. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Blimey that is a interesting comparison.

I too have had some reasonable results at the long end of my bridge. But we have to fair here bridge cameras can struggle to AF lock at the long end on certain subjects where a dSLR AF would just nail it. But with the phase detect combined sensor (Nikon 1 system) appearing the field is leveling abit more.

5. Praktica Man

Praktica Man Member

Well I have been using an old S7000 with wide and tele converters for the last few years you may like to try a HS 30 ( I would like one but I do a stint with 35mm and some old Praktica Equipment so cant really be bothered upgrading) does speed bother you ? can you adapt to the camera you already have ? a mobile phone makes and receives calls whether a Nokia 3310 or a I phone 4.

6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Notice this was your first post. When can we look forward to more educational replies..??

7. Bob Maddison

Bob Maddison Well-Known Member

A bridge camera usually has a much smaller sensor than any DSLR. This equates to less Image Quality (IQ). However, it is this that allows a typical bridge camera to have such a long ranging zoom lens: put a similar lens on a good quality DSLR and you would immediately notice the loss of IQ caused by the lens! On the bridge camera the reduced IQ of the big zoom range is masked by the lower IQ of the sensor. Another point is that most long ranging zooms on bridge and compact cameras are rather too long at their widest end. This simply reflects the difficulty in designing a very wide range zoom lens: it is relatively easy to make the focal length longer but very difficult to design it shorter!

Having said that, most bridge cameras do an excellent job in their own right, just don't expect to be able to make big prints with them.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Guys, this thread is more than 4 years old, it's not worth posting in any more.

9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Sorry Nick I never (as always) looked at the dates.

New Year resolution.... Look at Post dates :D

10. Jellyandicecream

Jellyandicecream New Member

Hi, I know this thread is a bit old but I have a similar sort of question. I am however in no way classing myself as a photographer in fact I am a psychology graduate so a completely different field and have very little knowledge about anything to do with cameras.

What I am looking for is a camera to take with me on my travels around the world. I have a small compact which is waterproof so will serve well for my typical holiday beach pictures. However, I am looking for something more substantial to take pictures of the views and things we will see while travelling. I want a camera which will take a good quality picture so that maybe one day I can put some onto canvas' to use as decoration around my own home. Also to put pictures onto a blog that I will be writing, I am going to be visiting some beautiful places and would love my pictures to really show this!

I am not sure if I should get a bridge camera or a DSLR? Any advice on this would be great!

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

First welcome.
    Second - there is some good information under the "help" forum"sticky" posts.
    Third - for future information is better to start a new thread than post a new question in an old one -- one question many replies - but leave this here for the moment as asking the same question in more than one place is deprecated
    four: it is the person who takes the photograph. All of the many different types of camera available today are able to capture techically very good pictures if used correctly - the different types are better/worse suited to the type of photography. If you want to capture something specific then yes there are optimal solutions but for point and click not a lot separates the most expensive from the least for album prints.

from your post either an advanced compact or bridge will do fine.

12. Jellyandicecream

Jellyandicecream New Member

Okay thanks, I posted on this question because when I was researching the difference on google it was this thread that came up.

I don't just want them for album prints though, I would like to blow them up and have big canvas wall art from them. I know this is also to do with the megapixels but I just wanted to know which camera would be best for this and what I would need the mp to be.

Thanks.