1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSLR or Compact for travel

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Gezzer07, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I know somebody who got a secondhand Fuji X20 on my advice - she knew nothing about cameras, but wanted something that would give better images than her Iphone, was very compact, and produce files good enought for prints 20 cm wide. She took it on the 'holiday of a lifetime' to Australia and was very happy with it. I even persuaded her to try some larger 40 cm prints, and these were excellent. I was familiar with the camera because I knew somebody else who had one, and had given them a little help in getting the best from it (using the viewfinder, for example, which is always a great revelation to a generation who have only ever used Iphones).

2. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Yes they are brilliant (except the instruction book which was in German! Thanks Google Translate you helped me immensely)

3. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Does it shoot RAW ? Does it have 20 megapixels or more ? Is it light ? A yes answer to all means it's great for holidays.

4. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Just found this :
    Printing Four Thirds Enlargements, is 20 megapixels enough on a four thirds ?

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've mentioned before the A0 prints I've seen made from 6MP cameras. It's far too easy to become obsessed with detail even when it's irrelevant to your audience.

6. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Yes it has RAW. No it is 12mp but enough for an A3 print+. Yes it is light about 800gms. Yes it is brilliant and a carry anywhere camera.

7. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I had both the x10 and x20
    Sold both last year
    Stumbled on a ridiculously cheap mint canon G16. WOW
    The VF is rubbish, but besides that I’m smitten
    The DSLRs now stay behind (although I have been courting a 6D recently) but the simplicity of compacts and phones makes taking pictures light hearted and more importantly....Fun
    I find that DSLRs always demand more, fine if that’s your thing. But I’m happiest taking snaps these days.