1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSLR or Compact for travel

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Gezzer07, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Gezzer07

Gezzer07 New Member

I'm just staring photography as a serious hobby and i'm shortly going to Australia for a family wedding then touring around. It's doubtful i'll have opportunity for a lot of serious photography, mainly tourist / group photos.
    I can't decide whether to take EOS 800D DSLR, or M5 CSC for space / weight savings, any comments?
    Also which lenses would people suggest for each option.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I went to New York in the summer and took my Nikon D7000. Whilst there I wished I'd taken the Nikon P7100 compact I have, as lugging the DSLR around was a nuisance. I'm going to Malta in March so have bought a Fuji X-E1 CSC, as I want to take lots of street shots and the like, though I'll probably wish I'd taken the DSLR for seascapes.

Going by your intentions in Australia, I'd be leaning towards the M5, but maybe with a compact tripod just in case.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It’s a pain having two cameras! I have a Fuji mirrorless kit for when my Canon kit is unwieldy and the trigger was a family wedding. I then regretted not having a 70-200 F2.8 with me but c’est la vie. If you are happy with the smaller system it makes sense to use it. For general photography a 24-100 focal length range (35 mm equivalent) covers a lot of subjects.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've got a dozen cameras and I have no trouble switching between them. I do have each preset for the way I use that particular camera so they are pretty much point and shoot.

5. PeteRob

I meant that if you only have one camera, the choice of which to take on holiday becomes so much easier.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Definitely the CSC, the less weight you are carrying the better, I know of my cameras which I tend to carry and it's not my DSLR. Lenses? Ideally you will need something on the wide side and probably a short telephoto. it partly depends what you actually have. When walking about with my Fujifilm CSC I usually take the the 18-55 at the least, if I think I will need it I add the 55-200, even with two lenses the weight is not excessive.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I think you will find with decent lenses the X-E1 can outperform the Nikon!

beatnik69 likes this.
  8. PeteRob

I get a bit frustrated with the 18-55. I'm going to get (hoping the price will drop a bit) the 16-80 to replace it. I too carry the 55-200 as well as a 10-24 and indeed the whole lot in a bag is still lighter than a 5Ds + 24-105 f4.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The 16-80 does look a tempting proposition, I do have the 16mm f2.8 prime though, which is light and very sharp, the extra reach to 80mm is rather enticing.

10. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

OP: You haven't told us which lenses you have ! ...or are you intending to buy lenses for the trip?
    It's impossible to give you an answer, only responses that provoke your thoughts on what to take, we don't know how much luggage you intend to take, if you will be travelling between places or be based at one location etc.... are you going to be in towns/cities and want street scenes, architecture or will be taking landscape shots ..... or how much the image quality concerns you.

If space/weight is a concern, then take the M5 with kit zoom, Canon's 11-22mm EF-M and the 55-200 EF-M. This covers almost all eventualities and is lightweight and does not take up too much space. I'd also suggest taking a small compact camera if you will feel uneasy about using the M5 in some public spaces. I'd only take the DSLR if ultimate image quality is of concern. Don't forget a spare battery or two, and sufficient memory cards.

Above all, enjoy yourself and don't think "If only I'd bought a different camera/lenses with me" !

11. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Why not best of both and take an eos 200D with the 18-55 and 55-250? The IS STM versions are small and light.

12. Gezzer07

Gezzer07 New Member

Thanks for advice. We are travelling around quite a lot, mostly on public transport, photos will be probably encompass all areas. I've got kit lens & 55-200, torn between 11-22 or 22 prime, which i'll have to buy. I've a G5X which i'll probably take as backup.

Appreciate the quote :):D

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

The 11-22 is the killer app for the EOS M system - it's (relatively) small, cheap, and excellent. No other system has such a good option in that sense. The 22 is nice, but MUCH less versatile.

I use full frame cameras and L lenses for my pro work, but for travel, it's the M system. I can carry the whole lot remarkably easily - 11-22, 15-45 (far better than its reputation suggests) and 55-200. And a prime or 2...
    The M5 and 11-22 will produce better quality images than anything less than any wide angle equivalent on the 800D.

14. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I have this dilemma every time
    If I were single then the DSLR would be my choice - no question
    But with family around it make me feel incredibly selfish if I start composing shots whilst they stand around bored waiting
    No, DSLR stays at home
    And iPhone and compact cameras comes along
    Hoping to buy the iPhone 11 this year - that will male a enormous difference.

15. Andrew Flannigan

My family have always just ignored my photography, especially in our younger days when the camera made a significant contribution to our finances. When out together now we all just get on with what we want to do and mobile phones mean we can stay in touch.

16. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Exactly
    There is no right or wrong way. Each to their own
    I recently got the iPhone SE which although old is vastly more capable than my old 4S.
    I love taking pictures with it, then being able to use various apps to get the look and feel I’m after. It doesn’t need to be a camera par se these days, just like you don’t need to have a full blown desk top PC either.
    Times have changed and I’m starting to feel like a dinosaur. I’ve just sold 4 cameras, will be selling another 3 maybe 4 on the next few weeks
    That will leave me with 6D, 7D and 80D
    I’ll then go for a more modern iPhone (if I can stretch the 11) from there on 80% of my pictures with family will be covered by phone and compact. The compact is currently linked to my phone and I enjoy manipulating them after transferring over.
    I’m still determined to take phones seriously and get photo books created.

17. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Consider what you intend to do with photographs you take. If they will only be seen on social media, mobile telephones, etc, then a small cpmpact with a reasonable zoom lens will be more than adequate. But if you will want to get large prints done for you wall at home, a camera with a larger sensor and using better lenses will be important.

I you want the larger sensor and better image quality, decide first what is the largest camera bag you are prepared to carry with you at all times, and buy equipment that will fit in it. Buying the kit first usually means you end up with a bag you don't want to carry, so you leave half the kit at home.

For example, I decided decades ago that I didn't want to carry anything larger than a Jessops basic bag that sold for about £20. In film days this would hold a 35mm Pentax SLR body with attached 28-200 zoom, a 50 mm lens, a 19 mm lens, a handheld lightmeter, a collapsible rubber lens hood and 4 rolls of Kodachrome. Today in the same bag I can fit an APS-C Pentax DSLR body with attached 17-70 or 18-250 lens, plus one more lens (usually a 10-20), a handhelp lightmeter, a collapsible rubber lens hood and a circular ND graduated filter to fit the 10-20. So although I own various lenes purchased secondhand, I never have more than 2 with me because I'm not prepared to carry a larger or heavier bag. But I do pack different lenses for specific purposes if I know I will need them.

If I was making your trip, and had to travel really light, I might consider just the camera body and the 17-70.

18. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I regularly tour Europe on a motorcycle and have come across a dilemma like yours. Up until now I have always taken a digital or film slr and a couple of lenses. Usually a wide zoom and a 28/105, both made by Nikon. When I stopped to take a photograph it was a case of having to remove my helmet because it gets in the way of the prism. It kills the ease of use.

When I was in Koln (Cologne) last year I saw in a camera shop very close the both the Cathedral and the main station a new Fuji X20 still in a sealed box. They were asking 220 Euro. Now when it was first on the market around 2013-2014, it was around £500-600. The camera has a 28/112mm zoom (equivalent) with an F2 to 2.8 apperture and 12mp sensor. I bought it and to be honest despite the limited zoom range it does almost everything I need to. Despite the small sensor it easily can print up to A3, although noise starts to show in plain areas such a sky. Gone is the space taken up with the slr and lenses. With 3 batteries I don't even need (although I do) carry a battery charger. They are not a common camera but if you find one or even the X30 later version I would recommend it for travel purposes

19. Andrew Flannigan

I've always liked the look of the little 'X' series cameras but the Panasonic and Sony travel cameras provide so much more "bang for your buck"...

Cameras Sony HX90 and Panasonic TZ70 DSC01601.JPG

20. John King

John King Well-Known Member

What I do like about it is the incredibly good build quality. If you read all the test reports they hardly have anything adverse to say about it. The wide aperture lens and the inclusion of a proper viewfinder that zooms with the changing focal length of the lens. My only niggle is the built in flash is so puny it is no good above 3 meters, and you have to buy an expensive Fuji flash for anything more powerful.
    Apart from that I cannot find any fault at all.