1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DSLR diehards.

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Learning, Sep 8, 2021.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Seems to be the same with mountain bikes....apparently everyone needs big wheels to ride over bumps and to run out of gears by 30mph to save weight. I'll worry about that when someone catches me up:D.

Benchista likes this.
  2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Professional photographers need real Cameras
    Fanatical Amateur Photographers want real cameras.
    Everyone else prefers Phones.

The manufacturers are well aware of this reality.
    they are focussing all their effort towards satisfying it

Mirrorless has become an essential lifeline for their future.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well not really, no. Most mirrorless systems allow use of old lens ranges with an adaptor. Heavens, if you have EF mount lenses, not only can they be readily used on both Canon mirrorless mounts, they are also easily adaptable to Sony and Nikon Z. Used prices have actually been rising for some EF lenses as a result. Yes, spare part supply might make these lenses paperweights in the end, but that would have happened regardless of mirrorless. Compatibility really isn't much of an issue in this question, unless you're with a small-scale manufacturer that may not continue - as with your remarks below.

4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Can't help but feel very sorry for Pentax, they tied up with Samsung just as I was able to afford to get into digital SLR photography, with Samsung claiming that they were going after some not-too-unrealistically-high percentage of the market..... then failed to back up promises with decent marketing, and we know what happened next. There was also the "case" of the Pentax Q, fantastic idea but where was the marketing and suitable pricing? Whether or not the die-hard fans will buy sufficient product to keep the company in business at all remains to be seen, but I fear that Terry is right with his prediction

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I like the Q - I've 2 of them, and they're a lot of fun - but ultimately, quality simply isn't good enough to make a compelling case over a smartphone. The niche for them is pretty small - ultimately, I don't think it was a well thought-out idea at all, to be honest.

6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

DSLR lenses will not continue to be made.
    Adapters are a PITA and very bulky, making the lens and adapter disproportionate on a mirrorless camera.
    They never work as well or as fast as native Mirrorless lenses.
    I can not see professionals even bothering with them. especially as the new generation of mirrorless lenses are so much higher quality.
    Most current DSLR lens designs are well out of date now.

Amateurs will always like to play with adapters and try to make things work, however impractical. but it is not a viable business model.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I went down to the harbour this morning with my ageing EOS D30. Does that make me a DSLR diehard?...:D;)

zx9r likes this.
  8. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Did everybody fall about laughing when they saw you coming?

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Pentax do have form for this: the Auto 110, anyone?

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Until every lens in the Nikon and Canon has a mirrorless equivalent and the two continue to make SLRs the SLR lenses will remain in production. Not necessarily all of them but probably the top end ones.

I haven't used the adaptors but there is no reason why the lenses should be any slower than on an SLR. Professionals with some of the more exotic lenses have little choice but to use them, Nikon haven't released a Z mount 600 f4 yet for example either use an SLR or the adaptor on a Z body.

Not all the SLR lens designs are old and out of date but they aren't optimised for mirrorless.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And it'll probably surprise nobody that I liked that one, too. ;)
    I also like various other higher-quality 110 cameras - the Rollei A110 is a really nice camera, and the Kodak Ektra 52 was also nice to use. But as you imply, the cameras were better than the results obtainable.

Petrochemist likes this.
  12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Quite. There's a fair number of professionals using lenses with adapters - to be honest, I've no pro RF lenses, and for the most part, use the same lenses on my R and 5D IV, and I know I'm not unique in that.

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Most people would not know that it was launched over twenty years ago and only has about three megapixels.

Benchista likes this.
  14. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

After years of considering the Q I final brought one last month. They are indeed great fun cameras, but suffer from the lack of an EVF as well as the obvious disadvantages of small sensors.
    I have to agree the design wasn't well though out for the western worlds perspective, but I gather they were quite popular in Japan...

Benchista likes this.
  15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

For me, Q works fine if fun is the driving factor. Use adapted lenses, the fisheye, the Toy lenses - then it has a real value, you can do things with it that are quite difficult to do with a phone, for example. As a serious photographic tool, well I just don't think it was ever really that convincing. Although I do wonder what one with the latest sensor tech could do.

16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That's the problem. I have a couple of Minoxes (a B and a C) which are beautiful pieces of engineering. Unfortunately, I just cannot get an acceptable result out of them. On the other hand, I keep thinking that if I could find 4 steel cartridges and a reliable splitter, I'd try yet again.

Mind you, when there are little digital gems like the Ixus 70 to be had...

Cameras Canon Ixus 70 and Minox B 705020014.JPG

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've a Minox EC, nothing like as nice as the B or C but still pleasant enough. And I couldn't agree more with you on all counts.

18. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

No more than ususal...:rolleyes:

Gezza and spinno like this.
  19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Likewise the Nikon 1 system, in general, some specific cameras are more usable than others but without a viewfinder it is very difficult to use the 30-110 lens for moving subjects. Image quality can be very good but why choose to carry one over a phone?

20. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The best Nikon-1 shape was the V2. Which is surprisingly like the Z series shape.

And using the 70-300mm (189-810mm 35mm equivalent) lens without a viewfinder must have been fun... :eek: