1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drones

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pixelpuffin, Aug 12, 2020.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Just wondered why drones never seem to be discussed here. Virtually a day never goes by with a tv channel showing drone footage, be it news, holidays, nature...etc
    I love watching it and if I’m completely honest it often makes me think still photography is pretty bland these days....every subject seems to have been done to death.

Anyone else into droning??

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Drones are the pipes on a set of bag pipes that aren't used for the tune.

I assume you are talking about UAVs?

3. pixelpuffin

If we are wanting to be pedantic, then yes UAV’s

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The CAA tend to be pedantic when it comes to aircraft and as a Licensed Aircraft Engineer I rather tend to go along with them.

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I think drones tend to be more popular with videographers than still photographers, which would explain the lack of discussion here.

6. pixelpuffin

Lack of discussion or no discussion.
    I used to be into urbex in a big way. The group disbanded and it’s not very safe to go urbexing alone. I’ve seen drone footage which fascinates me. Especially the clever drones that can go through a window, hence the operator can no longer see the drone, yet the drone can be recalled back. Opens up a whole new world for discovery. I heard some drones are actually controlled by your smartphone!!

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Some of the still images published in AP suggest that, when used by somebody who fully appreciates their ability to offer a new viewpoint at less than the price of hiring a helicopter, they can provide fascinating images. But as these become more common will they will also be less interesting? Will there be lots of 'low mileage' drones on sale once the excitement wears off and the Next Big Thing replaces them?

Some are noisy and intrusive, but they can be removed from 'ground level' digital images by careful use of a 'clone' tool in editing software.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not remotely interested.

Nearest I got to a drone is when one nearly took my head off. With hindsight some bloke on a motorbike must have been trying to film himself riding up a hill, though riding a motorcycle while controlling a drone must be challenging. He had the drone hovering in the middle of the road while he fiddled with something. I was watching the motorbike as I cycled along in case he pulled out as I came up behind him. I wasn’t expecting a chunk of metal at head height.

Can’t really understand people wanting to remote control cameras outside the studio where tethered shooting for product or fashion can be useful.

9. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

They fascinate me, and I'd love one, unfortunately I have so many hobbies to fund Mrs C said I can't afford another one. :confused:

EightBitTony likes this.
  10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I thought they were bees...

11. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Drones doesn't actually exist. It was invented by P.G.Wodehouse as a suitable haunt for Bertie Wooster.

12. pixelpuffin

it works both ways, producing cliche shots in controlled environments does absolutely nothing for me.

horses for courses an’ all that
    Each to their own.

There is nothing much remarkable about still shots these days, I’d hazard a guess 90% are cliche.
    Being able to take a sharp well exposed picture does not impress me at all. The fact that a 6yr old can wander around the garden clutching a iPad and take super sharp 8x10 snaps echoes my point

The mystique has gone, a picture of a rose taken on a grands worth of gear means bugger all these days. I’m not apart of the pat on the back brigade.

13. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I'm not sure I could afford (or justify) the cost of a drone, and one thing of great concern is keeping abreast of legislation surrounding their use. I'd quite like to use one to inspect the roof of my house, for example, but don't know if this would be permitted even with a small, light drone that does not require registration with the FAA, training certificate to demonstrate competence etc etc. As for going abroad and trying to use one in another country when there are "people about", the mind boggles

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The FAA has no jurisdiction in Camberley, the UK CAA is the body which regulates aviation over here. https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-in...lating-to-the-commercial-use-of-small-drones/

It seems even the CAA have taken to calling small aircraft drones:(