1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Drake Circus

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by KierFX, Oct 5, 2016.

1. KierFX

KierFX Well-Known Member

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Really not doing anything for me I'm afraid, with or without sun.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I am on a slow link, your site takes minutes to load and then I can't see a picture only the questionmark placeholder with < > either side.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

There seems to be a fault with the link so here it is:
    [​IMG]

Must admit it's not floating my boat either - feels a bit random in terms of the angles and placement of the buildings. Worth a revisit though.

5. KierFX

KierFX Well-Known Member

Yeah after looking at it again I see what you mean. I tried to show the building on the right since the architecture is very odd; the building is literally slanted, so its not just me being stood below it but this isnt shown

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Probably the sun in shot killed it, it must have been amazingly bright. It is hard to separate an unusual building shape from that angle as the keystoning takes over.

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Kier, one of the things to make architecture in B&W really 'sing' is to convey the textures but to show really good contrast. This looks very flat on my monitor, and I think you were there just a tad too late in the day. If you had better defined clouds reflected, that would lift it, too. In that situation with some blue sky, try using an orange filter. Remember the filter correction if you shoot in manual and check your camera corrects OK for orange filters if using auto exposure. OK, all right, just bracket some! :D Cheers, Oly

8. KierFX

KierFX Well-Known Member

I wanted to shoot it as a long exposure but I was at college at the time and it seems that im one of the only ones in my course who actually will try photography while the others take photos like from a smartphone.

9. Andr2410

Andr2410 Well-Known Member

I would have lost the sky on the left altogether and homed in on the buildings until they filled the frame. Wait until you have some strong sunlight facing the walls your photographing and you should capture some interesting reflections. Good potential subject to return to here though.

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think you might play a stronger game of angles if you give the eye one vertical to hold onto.

[​IMG]Angles not my shot by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

There are really too few pixels to try much in the processing area, but I started to get more drama in silverefex Pro, but a lot of dust spots are starting to show. They come out really strongly in some profiles:

[​IMG]Angles not my shot2 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

11. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Problem then is the reflections of sky will be blurred. However, if you have cranked up the contrast with an orange* filter, that may still work. It's a case of just getting the right visual 'bite' in there. *You could try a polariser behind or in front of the orange filter! It might be worth, for learning purposes, to try each in turn yellow, orange, red, blue & green, with and without a polariser, if you have them. If you are feeling a bit John Claridge-y, you could stack up all sorts of combinations, although he tended to use square filters. (Check him out on the interwebby.) I'm using orange more and more but it has been a good summer over here. :)

Good on you for shooting film! Keep on winding - work that thumb!! Cheers, Oly