1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Downsizing

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Craig20264, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Hi Fen, welcome back. Yes, I'm absolutely stoked with its performance. It has it's limitations obviously with the fixed lens, but we know this when we buy them. I've just been doing a comparison between a RAW mono conversion, and the Acros film simulation mode. I can't get near what the camera can produce. It's now my preferred setting. RAW + Fine Jpeg (Acros). I can't see me editing many RAW files, but they're there if I need them. One of the other benefits is that people ignore you. They think you're carrying an old fashioned toy. It's great.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Brilliant - thanks for that. Just what I wanted to know.

3. Craig20264

No worries. I aim to please. Be sure to mention me to Mr. Fuji if you buy one. They might need an ambassador, to show how good their cameras are in the hands of an idiot :)

4. PeteRob

They are very good. I got the XE-2 as a kit and added the 10-24 and the 55-200. Then I added a s/h Xh-1 body with grip, if only I had realised that they would end up giving them away! This whole kit fits in a bag that my Canon 5Ds and one lens more or less fills. I prefer the handling on the Canon but the Xh-1 comes quite close, the viewfinder is good and it is quite responsive. But I still want a compact for times that I need something pocket sized. I had a Canon G10 but didn't get on with it. The X100 seems to fit the bill nicely.

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have often thought of getting a Fuji and this thread may have prompted me. I have just been looking at the X100V. They're a few pennies aren't they?

6. Craig20264

Yes, over a grand. I haven't read the full specs but I think the lens is the same. Not sure about the sensor. It has a touch screen too, if you like that sort of thing. I don't. The 100F had a sensor upgrade from the 100T I believe.
    If you can afford the 100V, then why not, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. A quality lens and sensor you can take anywhere, plus a great viewfinder.

7. PeteRob

AP has a review. The lens is improved and it has a different sensor and processing engine. Selling for £1299.

Craig20264 likes this.
  8. Craig20264

Ouch!

9. dream_police

Exactly

10. Craig20264

11. dream_police

Craig20264 likes this.
  12. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Perhaps another way to define 'downsizing' is 'carrying less kit'. For example, for the last few years I have restricted myself to a small camera bag and hence have only my half-frame (APS-C) DSLR body plus one or two lenses with me (if I have two lenses, one of them will always be my old-model Sigma 10-20). When wanting to downsize even more, I attach my old-model Sigma 17-70 and leave the bag at home.

This approach has the benefit of not requiring any new expenditure.

13. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Craig, you have some lovely images on your site. I've had an Xpro-1 for years which I bought for a couple of hundred quid. I added a 23mm f1.4, a 60mm f2.4 and a 14mm f2.8. Of these I have the 23mm 1.4 on for most of the time. Now that Fuji are at the XT-4 I'm thinking of an XT-2, which by all accounts, is still an incredible piece of kit. A decent 2nd hand one is now around the £450-75 range, which sounds very attractive. Time to buy, methinks. Enjoy your new compact Fudgie!!!

Craig20264 likes this.
  14. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

I have thought long and hard after purchasing a used X70, X100v or not? I decided that my DSLR will outgun it on most counts. I’m not looking for speed or features, just the joy of using an X100. So to slake my lust I have purchased a used X100 limited edition which I intend to use in a nice relaxed manner. It arrived literally just before minutes I had to leave home for Scotland so it’s waiting at home for when I return. Impressions soon.....

15. dream_police

I am very happy with my X100V. After a weekend away I did not miss having a variety of lenses or even just a zoom. In fact i actually enjoyed it. There was only one shot I wanted to take were the lens wasn't wide enough, so I used my iPhone.

Craig20264 likes this.
  16. Craig20264

I'm so impressed with Fuji, I'm now looking at a used XT-2. I've had to turn the I pad screen away from Mrs C. She's next to me on the couch!

17. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

Quite impressed with Fujifilm UK customer service. My X70 has lost a baseplate screw so I emailed them to ask if I could purchase one. They replied by saying they would be happy to supply one free of charge.........apologising for any inconvenience.

18. PeteRob

They were very good to me when, after a firmware update to my XE-2, the usb port stopped working. They fixed it for free (although I did refuse their first offer to charge me ~£90 ) and when it came back it had a little note saying they had now installed the update “properly”. I’ve been a bit nervous with firmware updates since but I came over all brave during lockdown and brought all my cameras and lenses up to date.

EightBitTony likes this.
  19. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

That's a task I always dread........it seems all the brands have different procedures.