1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downsizing

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Craig20264, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I've decided through lack of use to have a clear out, and trade the lot in against what I think, will be a good buy, and more suited to my current needs. The X100F is the camera of choice and can be picked up at a fraction of its original price now that the X100v is out.
    It's a camera I can grab and take with me without lugging kit about. I realize it will compromise my landscape requirements, but it will be fun trying, after all, a camera is no good stuck in a bag right?
    The reviews are good, but I'd still like to know if anyone has tried one out among the congregation.
    Ta.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I was wondering about getting one too but might go for the v. I think the price of the f is likely to remain a largish fraction of the original, I haven’t seen many about. A cheaper option for me would be the 27 mm pancake on my X-E2. I tried a s/h example once but the focus hunted too much.

Craig20264 likes this.
  3. Craig20264

Yes, they can be picked up for £749.00 at the moment. It all hinges on sales of the v I guess. If the uptake is quick, then a few F's might hit the used market driving the price down, but only slightly I think. They do look a great little grab camera though, sharp as a button apparently.

4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Not sure what you currently have, but if the X100T suits your requirements then go for it as the reviews are very good. Try before you buy if possible.

5. Craig20264

Well, I've pulled the trigger. Found an 'As New' X100F at MPB (they don't hang around for long). Should arrive next week. I'm looking forward to having a camera in my pocket again without the constraints of a kit bag. I should even be able to get it past security at gigs and concerts when they start up again.

6. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

Interesting reading above. Recently I have been considering a used model of the X100 genre just to see if I can discipline myself enough to manage without a zoom lens compact. However, they all command serious prices on the used market. As a compromise, I have just acquired a nice used X70 which I snapped up on the auction site for £250. I'm loving experimenting with this little gem especially the film simulation modes. The menu and handling customisation functions are far better than I expected and it seems to suit my style of shooting. Overall it's fun to use, very portable and as I never go anywhere without a camera of some sort I am now seriously considering selling off some other gear to fund the purchase of a lightly used X100F. So far, based on my short experience my assessment of the X series is 'what's not to like?'.

7. PeteRob

Yesterday LCE had some ex-demo X100F stock @£699.

Craig20264 likes this.
  8. Craig20264

Indeed. I can't find a bad review of the X100 series. They've improved as they've gone on is the common thread. I wasn't getting any use out of my DSLR, as it became a chore to lug the kit about, and even with a 35mm lens attached, it still commands funny looks when around town with it. If nothing else it will rekindle my interest which has been waning, and I'm looking forward to doing some urban photography for a change, but most of all, having a quality camera that fits in my jacket pocket is the bonus here.

I should add, that I managed to keep hold of my DSLR. Well, you know, just in case ;)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  9. Craig20264

I managed to snag an 'As New' model with all the original gubbins, box, etc. for £679 from MPB. They really do shift quickly though. They're up and gone within 2 hours!

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  10. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Downsizing, on the contrary my collection of gear goes up year on year

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  11. Craig20264

Exited.com
    X100F arrives today. :):):):):)

RovingMike and steveandthedogs like this.
  12. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

The X100F is a great camera full stop. I have never been tempted to upgrade mine to the V. The original X100 has a charm of it's own as does the X100S but the F has a different sensor, upgraded but to some less appealing then the original. The F also has the Acros film simulation if that floats your boat. The V has an improved lens.....if you are a pixel peeper.

No, if the fixed 23mm suits your kind of photography it is a very hard act to beat.

I own a T and an F as well as an XPro2,XT20and XE3 and the best,? I would go for the XE3 with the23mm f2 but that's just me.

Scphoto and Craig20264 like this.
  13. Craig20264

Still getting to grips with the size of it. I'm all fingers and thumbs at the moment, pressing function buttons by mistake etc. So far, I am extremely pleased with both lens and sensor. Jpegs especially are a massive leap forwards from what I'm used to from a Jpeg.

14. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Stick with it Craig. Just looked at the mono on your site on your site.....some lovely stuff.

Wondered if you print, only I have just bought the new SC P 700 and for b/w it's utterly mind blowing.

15. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Out of interest, did you get a quote for PX of your DSLR (I appreciate that you kept it though)?
    Just wondering what they are like for PX values. I am thinking of getting shut of my Nikon as it hardly sees the light of day.

16. Craig20264

No, just three lenses. My DSLR is pretty much worthless. It suffered one drop too many and something funny happened to the mirror box. Looking through the viewfinder is a nauseating experience now. The sensor appears fine though as the images are still sharp so it's worth keeping.
    I found MPB's prices to be very fair to be honest. LCE not so. They offered pennies for what were mint condition lenses.

MPB quote is online and instant, and turnaround was rapid, just three days from me posting to receipt of my new camera. Top class service.

17. Craig20264

Thank you. No I don't print Brian. I have looked into it but the cost would probably be prohibitive for the amount I would do. I do use DSCL for the odd occasion I need prints though. I think it's a shame for images to languish on a hard drive.

18. PeteRob

Just how big is it? I bought an XE-2 back in 2014 as a light go anywhere camera but it doesn't go in a pocket with fit 18-55 lens. I looked at getting the pancake lens to go on it but the AF is dreadful - the camera and lens just don't like each other. Tried 2 lenses in LCE and AF hopped all over the place. Ideally I'd like a camera to fit in (and not jump out of) the back pocket of a cycling vest.

19. Craig20264

It actually has a smaller footprint than your passport, although the i phone pic makes it look not so.

1.jpg

2.jpg
    3.jpg

4.jpg

20. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

The X100F is a little beauty, been tempted by it myself... but holding off for now.

I did the downsizing thing as well a while back, main carry around camera is now a Fuji XT-2. Can even get away carrying it in a suit, body in one packet and the lens in another (capped of course). So so lighter than lugging around my big Nikons :D

Wishing you lots of great adventures with the new gear :)