1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Don't you just hate it when ...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SqueamishOssifrage, Aug 4, 2020.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

... your hearing aid batteries go flat after just a few hours (if you use hearing aids, that is).

The posts in the RTBC thread are heavily outnumbered by those in the WGYG thread. This gives me serious negative vibes, and makes me think we are more 'glass half empty' folks than we should be. Thus, this thread, to lure some of the less aggravating GG posts over here, and restore balance, so once again all may be sweetness and light.

To start the ball rolling - hearing aid batteries. I don't need to wear my aids all that often, usually just for social occasions. During lockdown I hardly used them at all, so when I finally got out to go to lunch, I put in new batteries. When I got home, I took the batteries out and stored them separately. Exactly one week later, I put the batteries back in to go to lunch - they lasted less than five minutes. So far this has happened twice, and if I were to go to lunch this week, the same would happen.

What gives? The batteries last indefinitely in the packet, and a week in use - but also just a week if you take the batteries out after a just few hours of use, and put them back in.

Weird!

2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

3. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Try ones with non user replaceable rechargeables. At least you have the option of taking a fresh set with you.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

If your hearing aid batteries are of the Zinc-Air type, then the label which you remove before putting the battery into your hearing aid, is actually stopping the chemical reaction between the zinc and oxygen in the air taking place, until you need it. My latest batteries suggest that after removing the tab from a new battery, that I should wait a minute before using the aid - to allow the correct voltage I would guess.
    I suffer from otosclerosis (which is progressive), and I've noted that my hearing has worsened quite a bit over the last few months, and I'm now having to take the kitchen timer around with me. I used to be able to hear it in the kitchen from the lounge. Not any more. As for hearing the obligatory smoke detector! Forget it!

5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

That certainly sounds like the problem. I doubt putting the sticky tab back will stop the drain. I will have to see if there are different batteries that can be fitted. I didn't notice anything before because I didn't fully retire until the end of April, and wore them all the time.

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Zinc-air do drain from the moment you remove the tab, at about the same rate as using them. 8 days life at max. No point in taking them out.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

An inductive loop that isn't set-up properly can indeed increase the drain on hearing aid batteries. It has taken me a long time to get the church loop driver set-up properly because previously other people thought the built-in compressor shouldn't be active. Actually the opposite is true, for large ideally the loop current needs to be quite high and the compressor keeps it from overdriving as the input gets higher. If you set it to give optimal current at peak sound level without compression there isn't enough loop current on lower inputs.

8. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

To be an anorak re Mike's post. If you leave your batteries in the hearing aid, presumably they drain at a faster rate because they are working to amplify any ambient sounds?
    W

9. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

The online (pdf) manual for my E-M1 Mk3 .... Ok, so some forumites will suggest I'm probably a masochist on two counts; the 1st being that having owned an E-1, I continue buying newer model and secondly, the layout of their manuals are even less logically laid out than previous ones. For example, the LCD display controls are introduced to you on page 40, but how you activate the selector and move this around the screen, is on page 88! Needless to say, the layout of the menuing 'system' is another occasional source of 'Wailing and gnashing of teeth'.

10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I went to Specsavers and got a pair of aids that recharge overnight. Lithium I think. They cost almost as much as a new camera so grossly extravagant but they do solve this problem of needing spares

11. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Hearing aid batteries start losing their charge as soon as the sticky little tab is removed, hence they will discharge whether they are fitted to your hearing aids or not.

Mine usually last about 10 days after fitting. I think it is something to do with the type of battery, i.e. zinc/air and the chemical reaction of zinc mixing with air.