1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this imply that he is gone from the BBC.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Why not just say who?

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Maybe he can't bear to name someone who doesn't think the sun shines out of Nigel Farage's rectum?

steveandthedogs and peterba like this.
  4. Learning

You know very well who.
    Mr G Lineker was a well respected player. A good sport. He was a good role model for young people who idolised him.
    Then he sold his soul to the devil of the worst kind of the junk food industry. He used is position to sell junk fat soaked salt laden snacks to children.
    He became a disgrace to his former sport.

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

This from a man who enthusiastically supports the tories.

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

He's probably pining for the good old days when professional footballers were true to their working class roots (ie 'knew their place') and had a testimonial game followed by retiring to a reasonably penurious life in a little semi in Penge or wherever.

peterba and Zou like this.
  7. PeteRob

I had no idea. I’ll read about it in The Times tomorrow I expect.

Shame you don’t like crisps. Walkers are a good brand, and responsible, they put hardly anything in their packets.

Learning likes this.
  8. Learning

Is that a compliment to Walkers or an admonishment?:)

Zou likes this.
  9. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

New on the BBC news website - perhaps people who buy stuff advertised during the programme will indirectly be paying him. Is the show's title meant to be ironic? ('Sitting on a Fortune')
    This is much better than me alleviating his poverty when I renew my TV licence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57927271

10. PeteRob

Compliment and a regret. I like crisps but it’s pointless buying them because the packets are too small.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Apparently it's for our own good. :rolleyes:

12. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

:D

13. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

How big a packet do you like?

I have found that bags of Walkers crisps are offered in 25g (multipack), 32.5G (standard), 45g (grab bag), 175g (sharing bag).

For me, a 25g bag is sufficient, my gripe is only being offered the 45g bag in smaller shops.

I’ve never understood people’s objection to Gary Lineker and feel myself that he represents good value for the BBC despite being their highest paid presenter.

His contract evidently allows him to work for other employers as he presents live football on BT sport. I’m surprised he's diversifying into quiz shows though.

14. PeteRob

Prefer a continuously refilled bowl and ongoing supply of beer. How long is a bit of string. Don't buy them now anyway.

TimHeath likes this.
  15. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

You should do…. Strings come back down in price…. Especially the eight foot bits

peterba, Zou and dream_police like this.
  16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Why should he leave the Beeb, so many "performers" work for at least two sides of the television "battle" for ratings (and also radio!)

peterba likes this.
  17. Chester AP

Because there are better ways to use the money raised from the licence fee.

WillieJ likes this.
  18. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

A - I've met Mr Lineker several times and always found him to be a decent person. The first time I met him was when he worked on his Dad's Fruit & Veg stall at Leicester Market.

B - He is still a very fine role model for young people, calling out all the *expletive* that the Tories try to push forward

C - A disgrace to his former sport? Learning ol'chap, you really need to get out more.

D - Walkers are damn fine crisps. In fact, if you want to eat crisps "Walkers French Fries" are the healthiest crisps out there with the lowest fat content. You need to do more research :D

19. Chester AP

I carefully made no personal comments about him (he may be a saint to those who know him), only about the obscene amount of licence payer's money that the BBC believe he is worth.

20. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The BBC should have been required to pay civil service rates from day one but that boat left when it
    On the same programme, another speaker argued that the BBC should have pointed out the huge value of the publicity an appearance on the BBC would provide and the "artistes" should be happy they weren't being charged for the airtime!