1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does race memory exist?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Possibly he doesn't care if you don't believe him.....

Mike40 and Catriona like this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Fine by me but he has a funny way of showing it if so.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

And you have a funny way of responding by calling him a liar. Go before you dig a deeper hole.

Mike40 likes this.
  4. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

FFS!!

Take care,
    Mike

Footloose and Catriona like this.
  5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'd be majorly confused if I went to London. My paternal great-grandmother came from a family who had property and a silversmiths in Hanover Square. My maternal great-grandfather was a cockerney.

Catriona likes this.
  6. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Again you persist in calling me a liar. I really don't care if you believe me or not, but you keep calling me out as a liar. That I do care about.

Gawd knows what you'd say if I said I'd been struck by lightning twice! Would you demand to see my medical records or the fire report from the damage to the house in the first strike before you believed me? Or would my memories be from reading too many books or watching too many cartoons or films?

See, you're doing it again. Requesting the truth. You've been given it. But, to quote a crappy movie... "You want the Truth? You can't handle the Truth"

I've given you the Truth. You refuse to believe what you are being told. That is YOUR issue, not mine. Just accept it (or not) and walk away. You're coming across as a complete arse in this continuing to badger on about something that is none of your concern.

You really are showing yourself in a bad light and being a bit of a numptie.

Mike40 and Catriona like this.
  7. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t worry about it - we’re mostly confused here, most of the time!

It’s surprising to see just how far the sound of Bow Bells carries (see below).......

https://www.quora.com/Strictly-a-co...t-will-have-changed-with-ambient-noise-levels

according to the map it even carries to Islington - I’m sure all the little Tarquins, Charlottes, Samanthas, Jemimas and Ruperts will be delighted to know they’re ‘cockerneys’!!

Actually, with an easterly wind it would easily have carried to Hanover Square.......it’s the smoke, me old son, we do it to confuse!!

Take care,
    Mike

8. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

“Bit“?

Take care,
    Mike

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Well... trying to be polite ;)

daft_biker and Mike40 like this.
  10. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

You have greater restraint than I would have in your place!!

Take care,
    Mike

11. Catriona

Ha! Fen's a great guy. That other person just wants to pinch the football.

12. Catriona

Eight years ago it was coming up to my birthday and hubby said let's take a short break, just down the West coast for a few days.
    I was extremely reluctant to the point of being a bit tearful with my neighbour Mary, saying I had a bad feeling about it and I really didn't want us to go. However, hubby was adamant he wanted to get away for a few days, so in the end we went.
    On my birthday I was by his bedside in hospital and not at home on the Island. Three weeks later he died after being airlifted to Inverness to ICU, where in the end they turned the life support off.
    I was met on my return home by my neighbour, who said - you knew before you went - and just hugged me.,

No, he wasn't sick before we went. He was just the same as always.

13. Andrew Flannigan

No. I don't like seeing the forum used as a platform to spread what any normally cynical person might reasonably perceive as misinformation. I just watched an old episode of "Mock the Week" in which they made fun of the equally unlikely claims of the alleged attackers of Sergei and Yulia Skripal in Salisbury. Perhaps the explanations offered by "Petrov" and "Boshirov" should also have been accepted without question.

And while I have questioned the veracity of the claims I have not called anyone a liar.

14. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Spreading misinformation = lying

Comparing a post about someone saying they felt like they already knew a city they'd never visited before and two Russians who assassinated a former spy... yeah... that works. Not. That hole you're digging must be halfway to Australia by now.

Really? You should see your previous posts. You've said in pretty much every reply you've made to the statements I made. If that isn't calling me a liar, then I don't know what is.

Or perhaps it's just me you've got it in for. Either way, getting fed up of your spouting. I've only ever blocked one person on these forums. Please don't make it two...

Footloose and jacobs_mark like this.
  15. jacobs_mark

jacobs_mark Member

Sorry the flux capacitor has been a bit of a mare today (I should have seen that coming), spent most of the day wandering around '70s York. Some young kid wandered over an whispered Sandeman?, no idea why.

Good to see you knocking around wolfie ;)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  16. Andrew Flannigan

Actually, I suggest you do just that. You want me to believe your assertions and I simply find them unbelievable. I offered a credible explanation for what you claim to have experienced and you rejected that. Dropping the subject would be the best next move.

17. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

TBH, it makes it a far better place if you do. I can't see all of the posts on here but It is blatantly obvious who you are conversing with.

DaveM399 and MJB like this.
  18. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Can I just point out that if your belief that there is no such thing as a better or worse picture, has any validity, there can equally be no such thing as a more or less outlandish claim? Both are value judgments with no empirical basis.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  19. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Distant memory has done funny things for me. Few years ago I was rained out of the Lake District and took a drive to Barrow in Furness, which I had not visited since grandparents left there when I was 5. Two things drew me there. First was to get rid of a recurring dream in which I was at the Furness Abbey ruins and could see a door in a roofless wall high above me, but when I went round to the other side, it wasn't there. The dream drove me mad and had been happening all my life. I assumed it was imagination and there was no such door.

When I got to the abbey, it was pouring with rain and shut, but I could see a groundsman and asked him to let me in as I hadn't been there for 55 years. He agreed and I walked into what had been the nave. There at the end was the door, which must have been reached by a ladder that was pulled up at night. I went round the other side and there was no angle that you could see the doorway from, because the floor of the dormitory that it led to obscured it.That must have puzzled me when I was young and just lodged in the mind somewhere.

Second was from even earlier. When I was 2y11m, my brother was born there. I remember being taken to wave to my mother in the hospital, as my sister and I were not allowed in. I had a mental picture of going out of the back gate and then every turning, passing a bus stop by a high brick wall and then coming to end of a long road and the hospital was immediately opposite.

I retraced my steps from what I thought was probably imagination and did indeed pass a bus stop by a brick wall. At the end of what I was sure was the very long road, I looked across and there was no old severe Victorian hospital, just a fairly modern-looking care home. A passer-by asked if I was lost and I asked if the care home had always been there. Oh no, she said, it used to be an old hospital. They pulled it down years ago.

So that was my visit to Barrow.

20. Andrew Flannigan

I agree entirely.