1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does race memory exist?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Nor is it my problem. I've always operated on the basis that the more outlandish the claim the more the burden of proof lies on the claimant.

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

It does seem to be your problem as you are basically saying that I am lying. There is no way I can supply evidence of an event that took place nearly fifty years ago without you also being there to witness me being separated from the school party and then being able to go around York to the different museums and return to the coach park later that day to meet back up with the rest of the class.

Just one second... I'll pop back to the 70s and get my younger self to write an affidavit to confirm what I wrote yesterday ;)

DaveM399, Mike40 and Catriona like this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Ach! Andrew has just missed those magic moments.

4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Get me some winning lottery tickets whilst you're there will you?:D

Catriona likes this.
  5. Catriona

probably not the best place to post this, but since I started the thread, I'm giving myself leeway.
    I saw my village where I was born posted a list of the derivation of some NE Scottish surnames. It interested me and may interest one or two of you curious people.

origin of some ne scotland names.jpg
    I should have copied who compiled it, but suffice to say for now it was in the 1930s.

John Farrell likes this.
  6. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Interesting, I know a couple of people with the Drummond surname and 'Hill Ridge' would suit them as they both have prominent brows *pmsl* :D

My own surname is interesting (well, to me anyway!) as it means Odin's Son. My forename, Fenris, in mythology actually kills Odin. So but of a mix up there :)

Catriona likes this.
  7. Catriona

You are more fortunate than I am.
    On one side, it is black (Duff)
    On the other side it is ugly (Leod)
    The only mitigating factor to the black side is the other Leod side was the fair lot (not the dark ones). The fair hair came down the generations, so I can spot my relatives easily on the other side of the Minch, on the mainland. Come to think of it, my Christian name means fair and I was born on a Monday. :)

Fen likes this.
  8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I've been Gray since the moment I was conceived - no need to worry about aging! The ancestors with that name have been in the same village in Essex for 300 years this year... and I may not even get to see Mum there this year on current form.

The Scottish ancestors all share their name with a well-known Port importer... annoyingly there is no good evidence of a connection, there is one piece of circumstantial evidence suggesting a likely connection, but an equal and contemporary piece suggesting otherwise. Harrumph!

Catriona likes this.
  9. Andrew Flannigan

That's not a problem for me. If I were to write here that I'd had discussions with someone from the Rigellian system, I'd expect to be challenged as to my veracity. The problem with making unbelievable statements is that you might find yourself digging an ever deeper hole as you attempt to defend them.

I'll give you a get out of jail card here: perhaps you once had a vivid dream and now you're remembering the dream and confusing it with reality. That's happened to me in the past.

10. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

They didn't have a lottery in the 70s. How about I get the pools' fixtures for that week and we split the winnings?

AndyTake2 and Catriona like this.
  11. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

York is a lot different to Rigel though.

You know... I just can't be bothered with your waffle. I don't care if you believe me or not. That, is your issue - not mine.

Go of Rigel and sell some beans.

Mike40 likes this.
  12. Andrew Flannigan

Fine by me, although I admit to being puzzled why you keep posting about it if you don't care.

13. Catriona

I'm puzzled by you posting here when you patently have no interest or experience of what we are discussing.

Mike40 and DaveM399 like this.
  14. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Obviously wants to sell some the beans he ate which made him think he was talking to aliens!

Anyway... back to the name subject you brought up...

Been wracking my brain trying to think of the importer but totally blank. Which one?

Catriona likes this.
  15. Catriona

?Cockburn?

16. Catriona

I was amused to see Purcell is a young pig. :)

17. Andrew Flannigan

Actually, you're wrong on both counts. I'm interested in the phenomenon of false memory because I've experienced it several times.

I'm sure that many "inexplicable" things are actually entirely explained by people mistaking memories of dreams for memories of actual experiences. That might explain why some people become so defensive when challenged on the patent absurdity of their claims. I think that very few people remember more than a tiny fraction of their experiences and even those memories they do retain are often quite wrong in many important ways.

I've read that eye witness reports are now often challenged successfully in courts and I also have personal experience of how what appears to be a vivid memory can be entirely wrong, the latter in the course of a serious criminal investigation.

I've already offered you a polite way to back out of your absurd claim but you appear unwilling to take it.

18. Catriona

Shame you persist with your claim for recognition.

19. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

And some of us are just cursed with an excellent memory. I can tell you exactly what I was wearing and where I was at 3pm on October 21st 1972. My little brother had been born the previous day and I went into the hospital with one of my aunts to see him for the first time.

I understand about false memories and your alien abduction (although there are better places than Rigel I'm sure) and your claims that other people who have good memories are 'making it up', but that is your opinion from your experiences.

I'm sorry if you've met a lot of people who are victims to false (or maybe even implanted or suggested) memories, but that doesn't mean that everyone you talk to has that problem (or issue). There are a lot of people out there who have fantastic memories and I think that you should acknowledge that these people exist.

As for "becoming defensive when challenged on the patent absurdity of their claims" and "offered you a polite way to back out of your absurd claim". If you call someone a liar then they are bound to be annoyed and defend their position. And as to my claim... I know it to be true, the people (teachers who were there) know it to be true and my parents know it to be true. So... go sell some beans.

Mike40 and Catriona like this.
  20. Andrew Flannigan

And once again, I just don't believe you. I make no representation, of course, as to whether you believe your own claims.
    No claim for anything, just a request for the truth.