1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does race memory exist?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Catriona, Jul 29, 2020.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

That places him if he did work in shipbuilding around the Docklands, Deptford, Woolwich, Limehouse and Rotherhithe all had ship building yards at one time

Catriona likes this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I've told it before, but it is completely true. My mother, Doreen, was not religious, but seemed to believe in a vague way in transcendental things. When she died she had arranged her own memorial in the local church near Woodbridge, but why was never revealed. As we all sat there and the holy one got to her soul ascending to heaven, a bat appeared, flew three times round the church, just over our heads and then shot straight up the steeple. We sat there stunned.

Then many years later, as my father lay on his deathbed at my sister's, a big spider came and perched above him. My sister named it Doreen and said she had come for him. It stayed there a week until he died and when they looked up, it was gone.

Mike40 and Catriona like this.
  3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Thanks, Lesley.
    And one thing I enjoy is wandering around London's docklands and area. I'm definitely more drawn to that area than, say, Richmond at the other end of London. I'm pretty sure that I was drawn there before the mass of TV documentaries filled in many of the gaps for me. So far, name searches at the Museum of Docklands has not yet produced any leads.

Mike40 and Catriona like this.
  4. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

London Metropolitan Archive is an absolute treasure trove of documents and photographs - I would be astonished if there was nothing to help your search there.

A great deal is available on-line at the moment, including the photo archive. Unfortunately, due to ‘rona, it’s closed for the present but re-opens September 7th to authorised researchers.......the plebs will need to wait until “later in the autumn”.

It will help if you have a good idea of what you’re looking for before you go as there will be an appointment and time-slot system in place. Documents can then be pre-ordered, thus saving time.

Hope you find what you’re looking for.

Take care,
    Mike

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of searching that collection.

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I wonder if they go back to the Huguenot influx? My hubby's ancestors came over that way. Loads of lace makers and fishmongers!

7. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

Catriona likes this.
  8. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

It's likely that some of the synapses in our brain get configured differently in a particular way much earlier in some people which then enhances what we remember. I seem to remember reading somewhere that in societies where there are Shamen and 'witch-doctors', it is thought very likely that their children are also gifted in a similar manner. This could be (although unlikely) a genetically acquired trait, or/and because of what they have unconsciously absorbed from their parents and what they did and overheard? The old phrase 'Like father, like son' comes to mind.

I do know that something I wasn't supposed to have overheard my parents talking about - when I was 2-3 years old - remained buried and forgotten (Deja Vu) but then resurfaced over a decade later and still has a considerable impact on me. Is this a variant of the same kind of thing?

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Yes. I believe that these days we call them "confidence tricksters" or "scammers".

10. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

My own experiences are generally easily explainable, but I'm intrigued by one of an uncle's:
    When he was young he saw a Napoleonic coach & horses crossing an old bridge while on Holiday in France. Later investigations discovered there HAD been a bridge at the point he saw it but it had been removed 100 years previously. From what I've been told it wasn't an area they visited regularly so it seems unlikely he'd have any knowledge of it's history...

11. Mike40

Mike40 Well-Known Member

My wife and daughter stand and walk in identical manner - anyone observing them (especially from behind) - would assume that they were a pair of twins. The likeness between my daughter and my two granddaughters is not quite so pronounced, but still there and very visible. My two male grandchildren walk and have a physical posture identical to their father.

Whether this is a matter of genetics, or the result of unconscious observation from the cradle, I don’t know.

My eldest grandson is now 16, so I may not have too many years to wait until there’s yet another generation to watch.......but I hope he’s not going to rush it, nor the others - this may well be interesting but experience the world first.

Take care,
    Mike

Catriona likes this.
  12. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

14. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yes, one that is predictable and consistent.

15. Catriona

I had a very special moment when I attended the funeral of an uncle who made it to over 90.
    At the funeral were a couple of people I only knew in childhood. My mother died when I was 10, so any learned behaviour was prior to that, and that was pretty sparse with her times in hospital.
    What tounched me immensely was one of the older ladies looking at me with tears in her eyes and who said it was like looking at my mother. My mannerisms, the way I looked askance at some things that were going on and the way I saw to their needs afterwards when no-one was taking much notice. She said I was my mother when she was young. Since I never thought I even looked much like her and that I took after my father's side more - it made me feel very special. Even that seems an inadequate expression of how I felt, but I've never forgotten it.
    I think a lot of things must be genetically programmed into us. Even our mannerisms and talents.

Mike40 likes this.
  16. Catriona

and not always safe.

17. John King

John King Well-Known Member

Do you think that this idea may be somehow connected with where you lived as a child. I was born and grew up in Northumberland, but have lived in various places all over UK. Edinburgh, Belfast, Taunton, London, Kent, Sussex. And a few places in Europe, but there is no where I feel more at home like now, is back in Northumberland (or at least close to it).
    My family mostly come from farming stock, (Cumbia and Northumberland) coal miners (Northumberland) or policemen (Tyneside and London) and I can relate to them all.

But my home is here, and here I will stay.

Catriona likes this.
  18. Catriona

You would think that would be the case, but it isn't for me.
    My place of birth was dictated by my dad coming back from WW2 and getting a job in Aberdeenshire. He was a Highlander and his father a West Highlander. It is in the West Highlands that I connect with and feel at home. My brother, who is 6 years older, feels right at home there (Aberdeenshire), but I never have.

19. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Not my problem. You weren't there (as far as I know) so you have no notion of how it felt.

Catriona likes this.
  20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

if you step away from people it is amazing that some new brood birds can migrate thousands of miles with accuracy to places they have (by virtue of just being born) never before been.