1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone still shoot film?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by P_Stoddart, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Then, Almach, you definitely don't want to know much digital cr@p I've shot this year :eek: ... ;)

Cheers,

Jack

peterba likes this.
  2. Done_rundleCams

That's quite a set, you have, Geoff :eek: ...... ;). Seriously, I know what you mean, Geoff. Thinking back to shooting my first Indy race in 1993 with my Pentax PZ1P and an AF 100-300/4-5.6, I thought, there's no way this camera/lens can focus and shoot cars going around 200mph :eek: ... but, godd@mn, they did and 8-10 rolls to boot ;). Move ahead 28 years and it would be neat to see how my K3 and Tamron 70-200/2.8 would compare(?)

Cheers,

Jack

3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

You're not alone, Jack. :D

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A few years back I was asked to check a Pentax ME Super so that it could be sold. I ran a roll of FP4 through both the Pentax and an F5, taking the same subjects. I have two examples of the same lens so, while I had batteries in the F5, I put one on each camera and compared the F5 with a D3, what I thought was fast in the 1990s was pedestrian compared to the D3, the D4 is even better. I tried my 70-200 on the F5 too and it wouldn’t have been able to do what I now expect. That doesn’t mean the F5 is bad, it simply shows how far things have progressed. The 15 years between F5 and D4 have made a significant difference. I actually have great respect for the photographers who produced stunning action shots without the technology. I get the results I do only because the camera handles the difficult bits.

5. Almach

Almach Member

It all depends what you like to shot, and how.
    I have a friend, who will never, ever back to shot film again. Im same time, this friend is looking for a new digital camera every 2 years.
    For me it is just fun. I like to rewind camera to next frame manually, set shutter speed, aperture...
    On the over hand, I do not print photos bigger than 8x10, do not watch photos on 60" tv.
    The biggest bonus of shooting film for me, is that I do not spend a lot of time on software, like Lightroom or Dark Table.
    The biggest cons for me is that I can't buy film locally anymore.

Done_rundleCams and peterba like this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with taking your pictures on hand coated glass plates if that's your bag. The problem is that some people start claiming that's "real photography" and digital just isn't.

7. Almach

Almach Member

True.
    Never understand statements like this. Film or digital - it doesn't matter. The bad photo is always bad.

If someone offer me digital Full Frame camera for free I will not refuse to take it!

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Nor me a 5x4!

Done_rundleCams, Almach and Zou like this.
  9. peterba

The manual setting of shutter speed, and aperture - by means of dials and rings - is, of course, available on some digital cameras. I have owned Fuji and Panasonic camera which offer this. However, the winding-on of film is a uniquely - and strangely - satisfying action, and for me, it's a considerably greater part of film-shooting than it probably ought to be. :confused: The only digital camera (AFAIK) which has offered an emulation of film wind-on is the Epson R-D1, but sadly, I've never even tried one, let alone own one.

Almach, Done_rundleCams and zx9r like this.
  10. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

I would like a go with a R-D1 but they do sell for silly money, getting on for early M10 prices last time I was looking. :(

Almach, Done_rundleCams and peterba like this.
  11. peterba

Indeed - the very reason that I've never owned one. :)

zx9r, Almach and Done_rundleCams like this.
  12. Done_rundleCams

Thank goodness, Peter, I'm at around 40GB so far :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

peterba likes this.
  13. Done_rundleCams

Ditto, Geoff, ditto ....... 'camera handing the difficult bits' :D

Cheers,
    Jack

14. Done_rundleCams

Yep, I agree, Almach, although, I have to admit, when using the PZ1P, it's, almost, always on Program :eek:
    where as with my MX it's all manual :D and here's a link to some band shots I did back in February with
    my Pentax MX and Takumar 135/2.5 ...

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/everything-film-or-pentax-where-to-post.142551/

Cheers,

Jack

zx9r, Almach and peterba like this.
  15. peterba

I hope those are Raw files, Jack. If they're Jpegs, then you've really done some stuff!!

I've just checked my storage drive for this year's shooting, and I'm a little embarrassed to say that it amounts to nearly 80gb. :oops: My only (rather feeble) excuse is that I shoot Raw........ :D

16. peterba

Me too, Jack........ although sometimes I use my MX on Shutter Priority o_O i.e. first I decide what shutter speed to use, then I set the aperture accordingly........ ;);):D:D [deliberate over-use of Smileys in the hope of avoiding any well-meaning posts pointing out that the MX has no auto-exposure capability. :)]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    Done_rundleCams and zx9r like this.
  17. Almach

Almach Member

Well, when I am shooting simple camera like Minolta A5, I am usually check light settings against my Canon Eos 300 film camera, and than just set aperture and shutter speed. Film is forgiving, so not to many changes in settings needed

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

To the folk comparing data storage, try scanning large format at high res and see how long it takes to fill your HDD!

19. Noire Cue

Noire Cue Member

Bit of a long shot but do you guys know of a place that stocks expired film but ships internationally ? I've been wanting to experiment and can't find old rolls.
    (Alternative may just wait for mine to expire lol)

20. Done_rundleCams

Nope, Peter, I'm just a JPEG shooter :eek: ........ ;)

Cheers,

Jack

peterba likes this.