1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone still shoot film?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by P_Stoddart, Jun 13, 2021.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been raised before but not been on here for quite awhile.

Does anyone still shoot on film? Stick pure analogue?

Once or twice I have quite young people walking around with old film cameras.

One even had a old Zenit which I used in the day LOL

There still seem to be alot of available film say at The Photographer's Gallery??

Any taken a trip down say memory lane with old favourite camera? Fling with a first love LOL

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes. There is steady activity on the “Everything Film” sub-forum. Several new members have introduced themselves as film users. I keep meaning to get the old camera out.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Yes.

4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

As Pete says, there are several new members, in addition to several 'regulars' on here, who use film. I probably use, on average, no more than 10-20% film, and 80-90% digital, though it fluctuates enormously over time, depending upon my 'photographic mood' on the day/week/month.

There's no escaping the sheer convenience of digital, when compared to the faffing around that film necessitates, but film is still a delightful medium. For me, the whole aesthetic is far nicer*, and there's something very satisfactory about knowing that you're pressing the shutter button to expose some film, rather than exposing a highly-efficient (but, frankly, somewhat boring) electronic sensor.

* Note my use of the word "nicer" rather than "better", in an attempt (possibly futile) to avoid being flamed with specifications about resolution, and other such boring stuff. ;)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    alfbranch, Done_rundleCams and zx9r like this.
  5. peterba

You really should, Pete!

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've still got tens of thousands of negatives waiting to be digitised, proving to me (at least) that the inconveniences of film never end.

On the other hand, some of the cameras were rather pretty...

Camera Canon film cameras with Tamron lenses TZ70 P1030467.JPG

7. zx9r

zx9r Well-Known Member

Those early Tamron adaptal 135mm lenses were very good, I probably have one somewhere because I can't remember either selling it of giving it away.
    Back to the original question posed by the OP, yes my getting back to photography has been mostly with film.

Done_rundleCams and Zou like this.
  8. peterba

Or does it prove something about you, Andrew? :p ;) :D

9. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Yes - I have a collection of film cameras, which I use (in rotation) for monochrome film.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Possibly both... :confused:

peterba likes this.
  11. Noire Cue

Noire Cue Member

Yes ! I recently picked up my old cameras and bought a few older ones off friends and acquaintances and its been so great to shoot and experiment with film!

12. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I use my OM-10 now and then as it brings back memories of taking my dads camera to the zoo in the early 90s, and needing to think about what you photo (limited film of course)

My next big purchase will likely be a modern 35mm equivalent.

13. Almach

Almach Member

The only digital camera is my smartphone and 10 years old Panasonic M4/3.
    For most of my work I am using film cameras.

14. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Yep, so far, in 2021, I've shot around 30 rolls of film using my Pentax MX, PZ1P and, even, my Espio 110 :)

Cheers,

Jack

zx9r, steveandthedogs and Almach like this.
  15. Almach

Almach Member

Wow!!!

I am probably no more than 1-2 rolls per month in average :)

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

We had an original ESPIO that we loved, and an ESPIO 928 which was ideal for me at the time.

17. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Not me.

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Boo, hiss, throws rotten veg. ;)

More for the rest of us then!

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

No, I couldn't afford the amount of film I would be using, nor do I have the space to store thousands of slides, I have too many already. Additionally, I wouldn't be able to achieve the results I want with my film cameras. They were top of the range when I bought them but now they are showing their age (25 years old). I have had some success with flying creatures, mainly due to the rapid autofocus of my current cameras and lenses. Put the same lenses on my film cameras and it becomes obvious that they wouldn't be able to keep up. My film cameras? A Pair of Nikon F5s very highly rated in 1996 and still very capable but not a patch on a D4 for focusing or exposure.

20. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I loved the Espio 928, Nick, and the only one I like better was the Espio Mini and the Espio that was a 24-1?? .. can't remember the name :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

Benchista likes this.