1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Documentary / Reportage

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by RovingMike, Mar 11, 2020.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Agree entirely. That's the one I will probably include.

Catriona likes this.
  2. Danno

Danno Active Member

A reflection upon the times, I suppose, but the military statues appear to be wearing Covid face-masks.
    Other than that, the location is well documented by these pictures, and the location can be well visualised. Well done!

D. Farrell

RovingMike likes this.
  3. RovingMike

Thanks. A key objective is to allow people to explore the artwork online and to visualise the setting. That aspect is where I started, because at first sight it looked hard to put over. The site is 100m x 50m and they are well spread out. The saplings prevent any real lining up of them.

4. RovingMike

Then watching the Derby on Saturday reminded me I had seen a new statue there, so I snuck in Sunday while the gates were open for contractors and indeed, it was Lester himself. Apparently there are 9 more of them going up around the country all paid for by a couple of rich owners:

[​IMG]KT20_ML_S056_010 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]KT20_ML_S056_001 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]KT20_ML_S056_009 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]KT20_ML_S056_004 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]KT20_ML_S056_014 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  5. RovingMike

6. RovingMike

Catriona likes this.
  7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Good luck with the Laleham Village one - it's in a very awkward place. Mind you the Ashford one (is that Surrey these days) isn't that convenient either.

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Very fitting. Lester is the Derby.

RovingMike likes this.
  9. RovingMike

Well apart from some in Reigate, most of the statues and monuments in Surrey should have been done long ago when I did all my parts. Waiting to hear if I just have to monitor new stuff. But we don't have to suffer for our art. If some angles require gross contortions, we are excused them.

10. RovingMike

Actually they don''t have Laleham in the DB. Hope it is just one waiting to be loaded. But looks on Google Earth like it is nice and open on a traffic island. Ugly thing though.

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The Laleham one is probably doable well if you're patient. I was in a hurry, so not great. Plus it is a small island on a busy suburban road...
    20666cess.jpg

12. RovingMike

Looks like I'd have to go fairly early to get sun on the face side. Well, I'll see what they say is missing.

13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Might be worth doing a speculative visit before traffic gets back up to its old levels.

Or wear hi-viz and a hard hat!

14. RovingMike

Well I usually find recces on Google work fine. The only shot I'd be at all concerned about is right side, where I am standing in the road. Rest I can get with several lernses.

15. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

How about some blue hour/ night shots. Would they work?

16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Love the ones of Lester Piggott Mike. His profile is instantly recognizable. Lovely setting.

17. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Is it just me who sees Pikachu to the right of the window? Anyone done a documentary on his life ??

EightBitTony likes this.
  18. RovingMike

Well, the sculptor rang me a couple of hours ago to say the shots look great, but the colour is all wrong. That nice light patina is lawn treatment that it has accidentally been sprayed with.
    [​IMG]

He's going to call me when he can come up and clean it for them so I can meet him and re-shoot. Probably means it's going to be dull and rainy for rest of the year and I got the last sunny opportunity.

Catriona likes this.
  19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

When you think about it, he was probably usually mud or grass smattered anyway.
    Ah well, good luck.

RovingMike likes this.
  20. RovingMike

Definitely not. Maybe one for my allowed "beauty shot".