1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Documentary / Reportage

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by RovingMike, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Oh boy......what's known in the trade, certainly in Germany, as Petersburger Hanging(!), perhaps best translated as 'visual overkill'! Then again, if you've got a lot of participating members and limited space available you have to squash the pictures together...........

Lynn

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It was a community event. Usually once a year, we are permitted to exhibit Arts and Crafts. The boss/curator has been doing the job for about 35 years and is the biggest bore in the world. He hates this event really, so doesn't bother too much. His normal choice is sea, dark, gloomy, pseud local crafts/found objects etc. I can usually go round the room (I won't grace it with Gallery) in a minute flat.

3. Trannifan

Here are some pictures from an attempt at a photo docu of an abandoned coppermine in swedish Lappland. No road access, everything - supplies, ore etc.- was transported in and out by sledge and pack reindeer. The last attempt to exploit the ore ended in the early 1920s. There is a heritage group trying to keep the surface remains more or less intact! APĀ²001050.jpg
    Miners bothy from begin of the 20th century

mixedbag101043.jpg
    Bunk beds

mixedbag101044.jpg

mixedbag101046.jpg
    Stone bothy with mining junk

mixedbag101048.jpg
    Reroofed by the heritage society.

There are a lot more photos - some even in colour - since the orefield covers quite an area.

Lynn

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

5. Trannifan

It occurs to me that the miners bothy may actually have been put up by the swedish army in 1940. It's only about 5 kilometres to Norway over easy country, so the military were busy making sure the Germans were quiet and also collecting refugees from Norway.
    The last photo also shows that the heritage society has also fenced off the water-filled main workings.

Lynn

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  6. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Ooooh, can I be first to say, to the hardest critic here,

Mike, what a load of shite!

:p

7. RovingMike

Now you're taking the piss :)

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't want to fall between two stools.

9. Catriona

Renovations in the castle grounds.

ap lews castle front.jpg
    How the front used to look

ap welcome to lews castle grounds.jpg

ap wire bridge fenced off.jpg
    The bridge being rebuilt.

ap lews castle.jpg

and how it is now.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Done_rundleCams and RovingMike like this.
  10. Trannifan

I must admit to having a slight 'boundary' problem with docu/reportage and photo-art. Where does the one transition into the other? Last year, the local triennial photo competition had as 'theme' pushing the boundaries of photo-art. To be brutally honest, I looked at the chosen contributions and asked myself where 'the art' was given that a good 80% of them were what I would simply classify as docu/reportage more or less devoid of any clear artistic input. Photographing works of art doesn't automatically make the resulting snaps 'art', at least not to my mind. No doubt I will now be corrected!
    My photos above have nothing to do with art!

Lynn

11. RovingMike

There are no boundaries to any of the categories and genres. Some can sit happily in several. Whether any is Art, as others will quickly tell you, depends on your own definition of that. The London Salon purports to have a bias towards an artistic content, but I have seen selected examples that would not come close in my view, but most probably would: http://www.londonsalon.org/2019-salon/4594634346

Those of mine they have used in exhibitions have generally had IMHO less "art" than those they have shipped back with reject slips.

My sewage ones above were all intended to be Documentary content, in Visual Art style.

12. Trannifan

My one regret is that I didn't leave any pertinent comments in the exhibition visitors book!

Lynn

13. RovingMike

I did these documentary recces for ArtUK of the 12 new WW1 Centenary statues in a big field the Woodland Trust has planted as a new wood and I'm now asked to go back and do them "properly" for the national archives. That means rather boringly, to a set formula, with a big spreadsheet of details to complete. Not an easy spot to get to either. Means a good hike from any direction, with all my equipment.

[​IMG]P6201273 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]P6201270 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]P6201287 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]P6201295 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]P6201299 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

Catriona and EightBitTony like this.
  14. RovingMike

Then I saw the Woodland Trust claiming they had put a great 20 ton wooden sculpture there, that I had entirely missed. So I called up the sculptor Julian Heath and asked where it is. He said still in my back yard in Wales. They haven't worked out how to get it there yet and probably won't until next year....So if someone from WT gives me a call, I might be able to cover the arrival of it.

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It's years since I did any serious reportage work. The last thing I did was a series on a "modern apprenticeship" scheme in East Devon during the 1990s. Here are a couple of shots that have survived from then:

This young man was taking to fishmongering like a (errr) fish to water...

Fishmonger.jpg

A young woman who had discovered that getting her hands oily and working with boats was just what she wanted to do...

Marinemechanics2.jpg

16. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Beautiful :)

17. RovingMike

Well some might call it that.....;)

[​IMG]

18. RovingMike

I realise that doing an ABLT a while ago was a profound shock, but now I have to confess to having done an ABS as well.

Looking for a "beauty" shot of the statues for the database submission, these are a few contenders. Depend on how well cooked you like your sunsets though. Meaning is clear i hope, WW1 soldiers facing the sunset:

[​IMG]_6230102 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_6230114 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_6230105 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_6230098 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

19. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

First one gets my vote.

20. Catriona

Yes, first one for me too. It has sadness as well as an ending (of the day).