1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Documentary / Reportage

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by RovingMike, Mar 11, 2020.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I enjoyed covering the International Women's Day "I have a point" seminar yesterday and made it a whole reportage of the event, which was talks about barriers to equality and speeches by six women on issues they have faced. So I thought I'd start a thread for what is often the Cinderella genre in photography and a bit taken for granted.
    Some issues with the lighting and background, which were causing some movement and low DoF, but not allowed to use flash.

[​IMG]_3101230 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]P3090048 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_3101360 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]P3090062 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]P3090071 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_3101276 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_3101319 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

EightBitTony, Geren and Catriona like this.
  2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I've got a bunch from a corporate event, but don't own the copyright so can't share them really. It was good practice using bounce flash off the ceiling and I was pretty pleased with most of them. It was challenging trying to capture the feeling of an event which wasn't clearly displayed through clothing or banners (I'm used to shooting parades, marches, etc.) in a bland indoor setting.

Messy backgrounds and a lot of stuff in the way that you really have little control over, means having to move around a lot and take plenty of speculative shots. I threw in a couple of shots for myself,

20170718-7DM2-6L3A8613_x800_hq.jpg
    20170718-7DM2-6L3A8667_x800_hq.jpg
    20170718-7DM2-6L3A8788_x800_hq.jpg

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. EightBitTony

For my, any documentary / reportage I do generally crosses over in to street anyway, but I guess my Broadmarsh and Documenting Long Eaton projects count as documentary literally, although they're not currently particularly photographically sophisticated.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I don't know about Long Eaton but Broadmarsh is a dump of a building site. Why do they bother? City centre shopping is finished. gone for ever. I want out of centre shopping complexes with charging points for all customers. I don't have an electric car yet because the required infra structure is not present, but when it is ..........

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Very good Mike. I’ve only been asked to photograph a couple of conferences (both to save cost of hiring a real photographer). The hardest thing I found was to get acceptable facial expressions as, with low light, you need to get capture pauses. Professional speakers, used to media coverage, do build pauses into their presentations. Less experienced speakers plough on and are really hard to capture with a decent “face” on. I once saw Al Gore speak at MIT and it was surreal the way he would stop, pose, resume talking while walking from one side of the stage to the other giving deliberate “photo opportunities” to the assembled photographers.

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Mine are usually in the Arts Centre. I can't find the ones I wanted, but here's three.
    ap gallery 3 ou visit.jpg

gallery 1.jpg

gallery 2.jpg

RovingMike and EightBitTony like this.
  7. EightBitTony

I don't know when you last looked at the building work, I've been watching it for 2+ years and it's going to stop being a building site when they've finished with the building. They've also built a rather impressive set of university buildings, and they're renovating the entire area around Broadmarsh, not just the shopping centre, bus station and car park. Given the number of offices, homes and university locations in the city centre, I think your assessment is wrong.

More-over, the point here is that my photographs of it are documentary/reportage.

Catriona likes this.
  8. RovingMike

You are absolutely right. These people were moving all the time and very sharply. I just wait for the expression I know is coming, or the end of a gesture, where arm is as far as it is going to go. Then just rely on face/eye recognition to get that part at least sharp. They don't pause for applause or emphasis like a real public speaker.

9. RovingMike

Sounds fine to me. Doc is Doc. Too much creativity can take it into visual art, or somewhere else.The skill in Doc is to recognise the interesting bits, or the story that unfolds across many shots and record them.

10. RovingMike

Yes I like to do things like that. The art and people there can make a good subject, as long as we're not just ripping off the art.

[​IMG]P4280444 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]P4280411 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCF0852 mono by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]Is that it then. Tracy Emin's Bed 2 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

11. RovingMike

Yes, I'm not above picking up a few details myself, but not with any use in mind. Might get a theme in Competitions one day;)

[​IMG]P3090017 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]P3090032 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

[​IMG]_3101219 by Mike Longhurst, on Flickr

EightBitTony likes this.
  12. EightBitTony

Friend of mine does a bit of wedding/event photography on the side, and was asked by some of his friends to photograph quite a large celebration of someone's life after they had passed away. It was an open air event, large pavilion, a lot of people, and what I really thought was lovely about his photographs when I looked through them, were the peaceful moments and details he'd picked out. So there were probably 2-5% of the shots which didn't have any people in them, but were a shot of a baloon, or a card, or a table, just context, and they elevated the rest of the shots far beyond their individual worth.

I only had to see it from him once to learn the value of it.

13. RovingMike

Agree entirely. I think those little observations add a lot. I always include them with what I hand over.

14. EightBitTony

Zou and RovingMike like this.
  15. EightBitTony

Is Travel Photography a distinct thing, or is it Landscape, and Street, and Documentary and Portrait?

16. RovingMike

Well RPS has it as a separate discipline, but I think everywhere is somebody's back yard, so I argue it doesn't exist (even though it was my discipline). For me it is Urban, Doc, Street, Landscape, or whatever.

17. EightBitTony

That's my feeling, documentary which tells a story about a place, using landscapes both urban and natural, portraits, street photography et. al.

Anyone else have a view?

18. EightBitTony

This didn't get a lot of traction compared to the other topics first time.

Does it cover demonstrations and marches, or do 'large public events' end up being a different experience?

[​IMG]LmL by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#Stop #Brexit by Tony Evans, on Flickr

At demonstrations, you need to decide if you're just recording it, or if you're telling the story of the moment, or if you're representing one side or the other. At the Black Lives Matter demo, a young photographer who saw me there came up and asked if I'd shot demonstrations before. I said not many, but I'd shot a lot of public events like marches, and the like. He wanted some advice. I suggested finding a story and telling it with shots that weren't all just blatant portraits or wide shots of banners. Find a sticker or a poster, find a detail in someone's outfit, find a moment or a point of view that separates you from the rest and then build a story around that. But is that fair? If you're there to document something, should you be trying to tell a story.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Producing propaganda in other words. "Come back Leni Riefenstahl, Stalinism needs you!" ;)

20. RovingMike

Sure you can do any of those. Usually plenty of opportunities to portray it any way you like. But I guess the best photographers start out fairly neutral and report it as they see it. At the anti Brexit marches I saw lots of nice reasonable looking people behaving well, zealots yes, but probably not bigots. Whenever the Brexiters appeared, I saw the opposite. It just was that way.

EightBitTony likes this.