1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Do you "whip it out" or "plug it in"?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigWill, Nov 13, 2012.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Whip it out.
    Then use an external card reader- they tend to be faster than camera interfaces (although I can't attest to the more modern cameras)

2. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

KISS card goes straight into the back of the TV.

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'm a whipper Will...;)

TBH I started using a reader with my first camera simply because it was so horribly slow to download (I think it may be USB 1.0) from camera. Since my computer was USB2 enabled it made sense to buy a USB2 card reader - way faster.:)

4. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Whipper... Using the built-in CF and SD slots on the computer.

5. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

What he said, although I now have a USB3.0 reader plugged into my new motherboard, so even more reason to be a whipper.

The files don't so much 'download' from the camera's USB 1.0 interface, as slowly trickle out... something akin to a leaky bucket :D

6. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

My grandfather was Sid James... no not that one...

Given the number of cameras (with different cables/connectors) in the early years the only sensible option was a multi-card reader, though for reasons unknown my inbuilt cardreader always corrupted some files when transferring from SD - cured by an external reader. So been a snapper-whipper for years now.

7. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I get my big CF card out but I am a bit shy of getting out the wee SD......seems too flimsy.

Graeme

8. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

Whipper-outer here. I've got 3 cameras on the go and no idea where the USB cables are for any of them. Also, sometimes I can fill multiple cards before getting to a computer.

But, on the odd occasion when I've wanted a picture from my phone, I'm a plugger-iner (or bluetoother) as I have no idea where the Memory-Stick micro adaptor has gone...

... oops, I think I can see a trend here :confused:

9. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Card stays in. Contact wear.

10. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I have to do both. On my 5d mkii I read from the camera, however my 1d mkii isn't supported on my Mac so I use a card reader.

11. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

+2 PC card reader

12. emma3006

emma3006 Active Member

I whip it out, mainly because all my wires are jumbled together in a drawer and I don't fancy sorting through them

13. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

No choice, I have to whip it out. (Oh matron, stop messing about)

Card reader faster than camera USB. So just logical.

Also the same port is for the cable release so it does avoid wear and tear on it. :)

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I use a card reader for several excellent reasons

The card reader is faster than the camera
    The camera has two cards so the computer needs to find both before it will start downloading.
    The camera has to be powered for the download to taken place using battery power to no benefit
    I very occasionally fill a card so it has to be removed anyway

15. I "whip it out" of my camera and then "plug it in" to my SD card slot built into my laptop :p

16. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

I've always used a card reader to upload images to my PC .. it's quicker than connecting the camera to the computer, and it doesn't consume battery power while it's doing it. I always use a multi-reader plugged into a USB 2.0 port. Unfortunately the inbuilt CF slot on my PC no longer recognises any CF cards I insert .. if anyone has a fix for this I'd be most grateful.

As for formatting CF cards (or any card for that matter) .. never delete data while plugged into the computer, only do this by formatting the card when you next insert it into your camera. That way you obviate the risk of the card (and subsequent image files) becoming corrupted.

17. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Whip out the DSLR and plug in the compact. Baby.

18. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I'm generally a "whipper outer", using a multi-format card reader built in to my computer. I have occasionally plugged in when I want to transfer some pictures onto someone else's computer and they don't have a card reader - the plug in leads for the various cameras are tucked away in their camera bags (I think, it's a long time since I actually used them... :) )

No, I don't use Canon cameras, with their dependence on proprietary software for plugging in.

19. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Oh well I suppose I have just been lucky that my Canons can be "seen" by windows and that I can drag and drop the files from the camera to the hard drive....

Graeme

20. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Whenever the need arises I don't mess around and just whip it out.

Actually I was under the impression that there were sound computery - type reasons for whipping it out too. Maybe not.

Willie