1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you still print?

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by taxor, Dec 12, 2015.

1. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

I have a couple of Nova's and I really wouldn't be without one (or both, for that matter). They're totally immobile once filed with chemistry unless you make a little platform on casters to move 'em around slowly and carefully. I only use mine for b&w but that includes fibre-based as well as RC paper.

2. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendation, since space is at a premium in my new setup.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I had a similar problem years ago, the erstwhile Polysales used to sell a stacking rack that allowed three dishes to sit in tiers above each other, but staggered with the top tray furthest back, the second further forward and the third further again. I found it an ideal solution at that time. I still have it tucked away somewhere, but it is highly unlikely that I will ever do any wet printing, my back doesn't take well to standing for long periods nowadays.

4. filmlover

I remember the Polysales rack. The thing that appeals with the Nova's, although a bit pricey, they appear to be temperature controlled via a thermostat, with a cover to the top, presumably air tight, enabling use for a second session. As for back problems, they are familiar.....used to call it "Nikon "back" when working.

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Highlight 1: They are.

Highlight 2: Not really. The tubular covers (one for each slot) are about as airtight as the old "floating lids" on the deep tanks of yore. Frances reckons that a fortnight is the absolute maximum you can leave the dev, but a few days is fine. Stop and fix are less critical: weeks.

We've been using them for 25 years, which might tell you how highly we regard them. Go for a 4-slot (dec, stop, 2x fix) for maximum speed and efficiency.

Cheers,

R.

6. filmlover

Thanks for the recommendation. A few days usability is fine, far better than open trays

7. nastypiranha

nastypiranha Well-Known Member

I'm just about to dip my toe into darkroom print, I’m just waiting on my order to be sent and then the mission begins. It's took me awhile to get into darkroom printing I started my adventure into SLR's about 2 years ago and spent time learning how to develop film and then I went off in the DSLR direction to get used to shooting (normal stuff iso's, apertures etc) without wasting film so now i feel am competent in shooting and film processing at a entry level. so now onto the film processing so no-doubt I'll be asking for help and advice over the next fortnight.

8. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Excellent! You'll be joining a dwindling bunch of enthusiasts by doing so but you'll get good (if sometimes conflicting) advice on the best way to get good results. Keep us posted. Regards and good luck.

9. nastypiranha

nastypiranha Well-Known Member

Thank you Taxor :)