1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you leave your a lens on your camera

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by GeoffR, Nov 13, 2020.

1. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

In my case it was about 5 weeks after buying my D800 and Tamron 24-70mm new that I first experienced the loss of contact problem. And getting the D800 repaired this year was triggered because I went to buy a brand new AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6, but neither I nor the Park Cameras shop assistant could get the camera to recognize the lens at all! So although the frequency of loss of contact tends to get worse over time, it seems to have started to affect my camera far too soon to be long-term failure of springing.

Chris

2. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

^ This.

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

A question that, IMVHO, is unnecessary to be asked and since day one, of SLR shooting, July 21, 1985, none of my
    cameras have lain naked :eek:. Of course, in those early days, I only had one lens for my camera ;)

Cheers,

Jack

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

In the days of mechanical coupling between lens and body it didn't make any difference. Even in the 1990s my Nikon's had no problems with leaving a lens on the camera, in those days there were only four contacts. Today, with many more contacts I am finding that occasionally removing the lens and refitting it makes a difference. As it happens I can't get three bodies, with lenses fitted, into my camera bag so If I want to go very far the lenses have to be removed for the bag to close.

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

To answer the question you asked and two that that you did not:
    A. All three cameras will have lenses on - which will depend upon what I expect to be imaging next, except that I usually get it wrong and have to change the lens as I leave the house.

B. All three cameras should have charged batteries.

C . I never take the cards out of the cameras and transfer via cable. Cards (especially CF cards) are prone to loss/damage when out of the camera

Just for the record the FF presently mounts a 24-105 f4 lens, the APS-C has an 18-55 mm kit lens and the PEN is currently sporting a 50mm f2 prime

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Many years ago Popular Photography took some memory cards and stuck them to the road surface in Times Square where they remained for, I think, a month. After that they were removed and put in a card reader, none suffered any loss of data. I have never had a problem with CF cards out of the camera, I keep them in a case in my camera bag. I trust that you are aware of the possibility of damage to the USB socket on the camera from constant use? Personally I would rather remove the card/s from the camera, I might need the USB socket for other purposes.

7. RogerMac

Afraid we will have to agree to differ on this one, I have twice had CF cards bend the pins in the reader, once in camera (luckily self repairable), the other time in the computer and we had to buy an external reader. As for SD cards if you have never mislaid one whilst it was out of the camera you are more organised than I am.
    Edit: How many times a day does the average phone get plugged /unplugged? And they seem to stand that perfectly happily

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020 at 2:15 PM
  8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I remember (back in 2006) someone lending their 350D to someone thinking about buying a digital camera and getting it back with the pins in the camera bent beyond repair. How that happened I don't know but some people can break anything without seeming effort.

9. RogerMac

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My cameras don't use SD cards
    My iPhone gets connected once a day. My iPad similarly but the connector on the iPad is damaged and breaks contact very easily (same connector type as the phone). The USB connector on a camera can be one of two types, the one with the rounded shell is easily damaged, the more angular type less so.

11. PeteRob

4 types now, sadly. It is a right pain.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You are right, I tend not to think of USB C as even being a USB connector but of course it is. Whilst it isn't relevant to cameras I find the idea that a standardised connector can determine the size of a product difficult to accept.

13. PeteRob

I’ve got cameras with USB 2 type B mini, USB 2 type B micro, USB 3 type B micro and the Fuji X100V I just bought had me really confused until I figured it was USB 3 type C. First one I’ve ever seen, tried my hardest to stuff a USB 2 type B micro into it, but failed.