1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you know what this is?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Footloose, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Ok, so I've got far too much time on my hands, but thought this might get people scratching their heads!

Quizz.jpg

The man who designed the original version of this in 1949, did so in his landlady's garage in Croydon. The original was made from parts from war surplus shops and a Lancaster bomber, at a cost of £400. When it's designer showed this to people at the LSE, they promptly offered him a teaching position. It is thought that only 12 to 14 of these machines were built, one is sometimes (or maybe permanently) displayed at the Science Museum, because of it's historical importance in the field of mathematics!

Done_rundleCams and proseak like this.
  2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I do! I do! I do!

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Also, Terry Pratchett fans should know too. Sort of.

4. Footloose

Geren, you're right! I was going to mention Discworld but that would have made it too easy!

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

No clue, but I cheated because that's the kind of person I am. Google reverse image search told me :)

6. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Did Igor help him build it?:p

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I can think of two inventions from Diskworld that might apply but I don't really get it from the picture. Are we supposed to say or keep the answer to yes or no?

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

How do you do that?

ascu75 likes this.
  9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I got it from the Discworld reference... first time I've ever seen the real thing, though. Please make the big reveal after I finish work today, so I can have a proper read!

Adrian

10. EightBitTony

Go here,

https://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en

Click the camera icon to search by image.

Upload an image (which is what I did) or put a URL in (google can't get embedded images from this site with a URL because they're not accessible unless you're logged in).

I also use TinEye - https://www.tineye.com/ - but Google has more images and a fuzzier algorithm.

Also a useful way to (manually) find any shot of yours you think someone is using.

proseak likes this.
  11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I got it from TinEye reverse search. Think we should get one round to No 11 immediately.

12. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Ah, yes - invented by a Kiwi.

13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I was wrong. Inverse image search works quite well

14. Footloose

I've PM'd Geren, and asked him to come up with another head-scratcher. As for the answer, I'll let others have a go and will be posting that with some links at about 5 pm today.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    EightBitTony likes this.
  15. EightBitTony

I think she might take you up on that.

16. Footloose

Whooops! Huge apologies due, I honestly didn't know that!

Geren likes this.
  17. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

reverse image search cracked it for me. I never knew abot doing that it really seems everyday is a school day school day.jpg

18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

To be honest I have no idea what it is and as soon as Pratchett was mentioned I just lost any interest in finding out anyway.

ascu75, dream_police and Zou like this.
  19. Footloose

Well, this is the Phillips Hydraulic computer, due to which (reputedly) we get such words as 'flow' employed when referring to money.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MONIAC

If you've got a spare 46 minutes, :rolleyes: you might like to look at this demonstration of MONIAC, or the Monetary National Income Analogue Computer at Cambridge Universities Faculty of Economics.
    https://www.sms.cam.ac.uk/media/1094078

20. EightBitTony

Thanks, the one thing I couldn't find with a quick search was a video, which I was very interested in.