1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you find yourself buying more than 1 of something

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Stephen Rundle, May 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I suspect that some Forum members have a lots of space available to store all their stuff...the only photographic item I have more than one of is (as above) tripods. I have an ancient flimsy one I paid £12 for in 1974 (that is just about able to support a small flashgun with an attached 'light cell' sensor to fire the flash when another flash in the same room goes off ), and a decent Velbon carbon fibre one I purchased 10 or 11 years ago to take to Venice inside a suitcase (where it was used late in the evening).

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Hoa many screwdrivers and spanners do you have ;) ;) let's see them

3. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I used to have lots of kit, but when I got to about 85 years of age I felt increasingly guilty about the way I would be lumbering my kids when I snuffed it. Neither of them has any real interest in photography beyond 'phone snapping. My wife is not a photographer but she takes competent family snaps on a tiny and somewhat ancient, Canon Digital Ixus that she carries in her handbag. I load and unload it for her and keep the battery charged. She is very sympathetic to my interest and several of the best pieces of my kit came from her at birthday or Christmas time.

My physical deterioration, from age and multiple myeloma, prompted me to dispose of two tea chests full of Cannon gear through a friendly dealer who did all the selling for a reasonable fee. It was a successful exercise but has had only a very limited effect on the weight of my camera bag. The first purchases of Fuji gear showed real credit on the scales, but the weight of recent items has grown inexorably especially at the better end of the lens range. Part of my response to this was to put my camera bag onto a lightweight folding trolley. Not really a good move I'm afraid.

I've just passed my 88th birthday and I have only three camera bodies now. Two of them have fixed lenses. One is mirrorless (a Fujifilm X-T3), with eight lenses, three primes and five zooms covering 8mm to 400mm and a bit more with a 1.4x converter.

Our finances are in good order. We have excellent savings and a very positive ratio of income to outgoings; especially in the last ten weeks when we have been isolated at home. I try to give as much as I can to the kids, but even with those gifts and generous charitable giving it has become quite difficult to avoid death duties.

So I can be quite irresponsible about swapping current items for the latest gizmos, even so, only one of my bodies is less that ten years old; the XT3 bought in 2018. I bought two expensive lenses in that year also, but nothing much since other than small accessories, software and books.

I am looking hard at upgrading to an X-T4, essentially because of the in-body stabilisation. A side-effect of the chemo therapy that I take for my myeloma is the destruction of nerve endings in my extremities. In consequences, my hand-holding of the camera is very poor and most of my pics are now taken on one of my several tripods. The tripod can be a real inhibitor of pictures of opportunity and I would love to go back to hand-holding macros and distant subjects.

I hope this note hasn't come over as too much of a moan. I have had and hope to continue having, a very happy time in photography. I certainly understand and that there are others who struggle on in much worse circumstances than I am affected by.

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I know that feeling.

One of the lenses I got was a Nikkor 105mm F2.8 Macro.
    Mrs T decided it was her lens.
    Luckily she doesn't actually do a great deal of photography now (even less than me!) so I do get to play with the lens occasionally:p

5. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

TBH I really struggle passing up on a bargain
    Usually I buy then resell - break even but more often than not make a profit.
    Recently bought a cheap ex-workhorse 5diii (157k shutter) prior to which I was always fretting on high shutter counts. The 5diii is a complete revelation...it purrs!! Admittedly it was serviced 2yrs ago by the previous owner. A tin of humbrol Matt black and small artist brush (clipped to create stipple effect) has resulted in a huge transformation. Compared to my crops the )5diii is sheer delight.
    But I think it’s going...recently scored on the bargain of the century!!! I’ll wait and see if it arrives!

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

From experience that will last but a few weeks, but I hope I am wrong.

7. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I've not yet found any enamel paint that permanently sticks to camera bodies when trying to "disguise" damage to the finish..... last time round the DIY store, I got a small tin of primer/undercoat, that will possibly make it better, but of course it lengthens the painting process

8. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

Yes I have swaps of quite a few things.
    Four or five Pentax M50/1.7 lenses probably being the most I have of anything photo related. The last of these was sold as an A50/1.7 (which I only had a faulty copy of) but turned out to be miss described :mad: In my defense my earlier swaps of this were all gifts from family members - we all had a copy back in film days.

While I have multiple tripods they are all different models, generally with different types of heads & different roles so I wouldn't count those as swaps.
    There are several photography books that I have multiple copies off (not intentionally) a few of these I keep one copy at work & another at home. I'm gradually managing to wean myself of the habit of buying used photography books just because I don't recognize them as being in my collection - In the past week I've only brought one & I didn't even look inside the one I spotted at the boot sale this morning.

9. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Buying...........no

Selling regrets YES

Bronny SQAi :( :( :( now I am back into film

10. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Well it’s been on 4 and hasn’t yet rubbed off?? I did prep the areas and clean with 100% alcohol, after touching up it was put on a tabletop tripod and left alone for a week to fully cure. I now can’t see where I touched up. I‘ve since wiped the entire camera with alcohol to dull the leatherette, made sure I didn’t go overboard, left the rub marks that appear with use alone.

11. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Not a moan, but an inspiration. Keep looking forwards. ;)

EightBitTony likes this.