1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Do you care more about quality or just capturing the moment?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Andrew Flannigan, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I can't answer for him but I can see possibilities there. It all depends on what you're after.

2. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I'm guessing again but in a newsletter and reporting an event I would think that something recognizable might be in order. ;)

MickLL

Zou likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

True enough. In other more "artistic" environments though, that might be hailed as a "seminal" work. :D

4. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

No, it's just a blurry duck.

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Going back to the original question I spent a few minutes last night thinking about the pictures I have taken that I consider my best ones (whatever that may mean) three (Out of five) of them were ones where I had to wait a considerable time (between 30 and 45 minutes) for the right lighting conditions before I got the one I wanted. I suspect that that means I was capturing the moment but I am not sure.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Blurry ducks are artistic if I say they are.

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

If you say so. It's still just a blurry duck though (indisputable fact).

8. Andrew Flannigan

But it's so blurry it might well be a small dog. ;)

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

No its definitely a duck.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Perhaps it's a quantum duck transitioning to a dog.

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

No, it's just a duck.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

With no definition, you could both me right?

13. Andrew Flannigan

Indeed. If it's quantum it's conceivably both.

Catriona likes this.
  14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's a Learning Duck?

15. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Nope, it's just a duck.

Done_rundleCams and EightBitTony like this.
  16. Andrew Flannigan

Or a duck leaning towards learning.

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

No doubt he will eat the duck, washed down with some wine:rolleyes:

Zou likes this.
  18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I prefer dry cider rather than wine with duck. I think that the level of blurring a little excessive even in a newsletter. Most of the images lack excellence from a photographic point of view but illustrate what they are meant to illustrate.
    On the initial question, I would prefer technical excellence but willingly accept less in that newsletter context. If the newsletter was for an organisation devoted to fine art then I would more difficult to please.

Done_rundleCams and Zou like this.
  19. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I've looked again at a few of my all-time favourites, and I'm inclined to agree with you: 'capturing the moment' often requires some thought and patience (sometimes to the annoyance of my wife if she is waiting for me). At the risk of annoying sensitive members, perhaps we have returned again to the difference between manual exposure and 'auto everything' photography which may allow the option to bypass the though and patience bit of the exercise.

My thoughts about this may be coloured by the fact that I had no kind of automated exposure or autofocus available on a camera until I got my first digital SLR in 2007 - the evolution of the automated film SLR passed me by because I was content with my last manual SLR that I used from 1980 to 2007. After a period of experimentation with the various automated exposure options on the DSLR, I have not used them since, apart from the automated ISO facility when using a long lens because this still allows me to control aperture and shutter speed (I don't own any 'image stabilised' lenses, and the image stabilisation in the camera body isn't ideal with long lenses).

20. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Nope, it's the moment and having the luck to have a camera with you and be lucky enough press the shutter at the correct time ;) and any pluses -- proper focus, composition, lack of movement, proper exposure -- are all just gravy, IMVHO :)

Being a passenger in a car ....

Dec15-19-AP-Sun-000039 copy.jpg

Whilst walking home from work ....
    SNWNovJRS1.jpg SNWNovJRS2.jpg

Whilst waiting for a movie to start ...a young man with drug/mental health issues screaming for his mom,
    and his mom shows up but he, the son, is already packaged up for the hospital ...

SNWNovJRS3.jpg SNWNovJRS4.jpg SNWNovJRS5.jpg SNWNovJRS6.jpg

Again, the moment rather than technical desires ..

Cheers,

Jack