1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Do you care more about quality or just capturing the moment?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Andrew Flannigan, Dec 28, 2017.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

You mean like this...

P0158-faked-s.jpg

The image on the Ricoh's screen was completely washed out, so I replaced it with the top half of the original image. Oh, and the background was obviously as in focus as you can see from that, so I blurred it quite heavily (using the Blur/Lens Blur option in PSE) to get the effect I wanted. It could be better - first (and probably last) attempt!

Though, to be more serious, I think you are being a bit extreme - not allowed to use PP to remove a colour cast? Or sharpen an image?

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Some moments can be killed by it - especially as obvious as in an example at the start of this thread. Killed any spontaneity or moment for me. It was crude and grim.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I get what you mean, but I don't think it applies in all cases - resizing downwards nearly always means you need to sharpen a bit, though over-cropping can't be saved by it. I think the application of a bit of common sense is needed - I do get a bit irked by people who never straighten images or remove colour casts. Though in the latter case it could be due to monitors that don't give accurate representations of image colours.

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

No I'm agreeing with that. Thought 1 referred just to all passage of time. Your "fleeting expression" is exactly right and disproves once and for all that everything is a moment. Fleeting things are not everything, by definition. Yours above are all possible moments by my definition, if you mean the moment the butterfly landed, but looks rather perched there. Don't get a fleeting instant, but they don't hang about. Cormorants almost, but far better the moment they looked at eachother, if they did.

5. Catriona

Of course I'm not against post processing. I did it in the darkroom (oo-er) and still do it now. But I'm not out to do wildlife photography at a high level, nor reportage or war photography etc, so yes, of course I sharpen or crop where I think it is an improvement.

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

You ever work at Ilford, Mobberley?:);)

Catriona likes this.
  7. Catriona

No, not there... now if you'd said Newark on Trent... Haha!

Done_rundleCams and dream_police like this.
  8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Lol. Good. We've not met then!:eek:

9. Catriona

If we had, I would have been accused of baby-snatching! Haha!

10. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Steve,

I wouldn't use the "Blur/ Lens blur" option, but, I would do use, in my preview, the colour (warmer or cooler) option to a degree and, of course,
    use sharpen when reducing a photo (to 800 x ???) to post or email and exposure /contrast to improve an image -- much like burning /dodging
    from the old days ;)

Cheers,
    Jack

Catriona likes this.
  11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I paste things into my product photography all the time. Yesterday I was shooting some evening bags and I had them placed on silk with diamante gems scattered around. I only had 11 of the gems and it looked 'mean' and half-hearted so I created some extras with PS until it said 'Evening/Fun/Party' instead of 'Oops, dropped these'.

Zou, EightBitTony and RovingMike like this.
  12. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

It all depends.....surely removing dust, cat hairs, cropping and so on is acceptable? Software is definitely preferable to faffing about with fine paintbrushes,lupes and litho- or masking tape.
    On the other hand, there is software which should be banned! A few years ago, googling 'abstract photography' landed me on an american 'AP type' website on the abstract forum. There was one posting where some guy was waxing lyrical about some company's digital filters which would enable you to process your snaps to any preferred art genre. As an example he'd posted a shot that he said he'd processed using the 'impressionism filter' and which he was really pleased with..........Awful! Not so much impressionism as marquetry or intarsien work. It was as though a painting-by-numbers pattern had been placed over the picture. Every colour gradation, no matter how subtle, was sharply defined. I would think that the most of us here have seen enough impressionist art - Turner, Monet, Sisley et al to know that colour gradations flow into each other without contours and the like separating them.

Lynn

13. RovingMike

It is for competitions in categories where authenticity is key, or assumed. Elsewhere it begs too many questions. Is it illegal to bend a twig out of the way? Why then not to clone it out? Are all composite images banned for all purposes? So there's a large chunk of the art gone.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  14. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Capturing the moment, but with the caveat that a there must be a minimum acceptable image quality otherwise the exercise is pointless. Does it sound elitist if I suggest that since many people only ever see their pictures on their Iphones, 'capturing the moment' is now the common preference? (probably as it was when my grandparents had a basic camera and only ever got small prints), so any consideration about technical quality put us (me?) in a minority.

Now we could debate 'acceptable image quality' and 'pointless'... but hopefully not because these must be personal opinions or standards for which universal agreement is unlikely. Then of course, somebody will ask what I mean by 'unlikely'.

Perhaps the qustion should be 'are you happy with the shot'?

15. RovingMike

Certainly, but also what are you defining as moments? You have seen what some of us think. If the moments are personal memories, then IQ might be irrelevant to you. If they are observations of life, then any real lack of quality is just likely to detract.

But it is not an either / or. Any competent photographer will want both. A beginner, perhaps one or the other, because they don't know how to get both.

16. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd be in real trouble if I applied that to what I manage to do with a camera. I'll settle for technically OK (aka quality) with appropriate timing. Clearly you can finesse what you mean by "the moment" to the microsecond but at a basic level you have to take the picture before the bird has flown away, so as to speak.

17. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

All this discussion reminds me of the infinitesimal calculus where a curve is considered as not a continuous line but as a series of minute points and a whole new branch of Maths is opened up but we do need a Newton to give it coherence. We do miss Roger Hicks

Geren and Done_rundleCams like this.
  18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That's why you can't have an object with a perfect edge. Those damned electrons keep moving in and out spoiling it. ;)

19. RovingMike

Sounds like having it both ways to me :) Why settle for less?

20. Catriona

I think that you just have to be ready to take a picture, in the conditions you are in at the time. For example, don't be on ISO1600 when ISO200 is appropriate. Be as ready as you can be, then just relax and look around.

Done_rundleCams, Geren and RovingMike like this.