1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Do you care more about quality or just capturing the moment?

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Andrew Flannigan, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Parks90

Parks90 Member

For me, it's about capturing the moment. However, that also involves technique because otherwise, the moment becomes unrecognisable if it isn't captured appropriately. Your first image captures the moment the bird landed on the branches of a tree. The crop actually lessens that moment and the technique in my eyes. The technique due to being noisy, artefacts and soft. The moment because there is less story.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. dan marchant

dan marchant Well-Known Member

For me both are important. I do a fair amount of street photography but, while I only want to shoot things that that have meaning for me/are a moment I feel is worth capturing, I also want the image to be well composed. No matter the moment, if the image is badly executed I will usually consign it to the dark depths of my hard drive or even the bin.

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Obviously, getting the shot, as opposed to technical perfection, which 99% of my photos
    will attest to :).

Cheers,

Jack

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  4. KironKid

KironKid Member

I’m more about the moment.

D8CB2165-AB40-4CCB-AB07-51A06EC10B2B.jpeg

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Good for you. But there was a discussion not long ago about what constituted a moment and some attach the term to anything they see, since it can't be repeated exactly as that. Silly, but they do and one person's moment may be someone else's normal. Some contend that HCB really captured few true moments. Others that the instant a composition comes together, is a moment. Your example fits my description.

6. Zubida

Zubida New Member

For me, I am more care about capturing the moment than care about quality. Because I know photo editing. I believe that a little bit photo editing can make a huge difference in a photo.By using Adobe photoshop you can clear all scratches, dust floating, weird light spots or other minor flaws of the image.

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Hopefully you're here to enjoy the photography and not just to sell your services.

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It's not in the least bit silly. Different people - different opinions. Perhaps it's silly to call others silly because their opinions differ from yours?

9. RovingMike

No, this specific is very silly. If everything is a moment, it effectively means there is no such thing as a recognisable moment, therefore denies itself. It is not a question of agreeing or disagreeing, the statement itself lacks internal logic. You can prove it with binary linguistics: What is not a moment?

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Everything is a moment. Everything is not interesting.

Dan S, Gezza, Done_rundleCams and 2 others like this.
  11. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

Sometimes a moment is not enough. A session is an exploration; the photographer explores the sitter while reciprocating the sitter explores the photographer. The pictures are not moments they are just glimpses of the process and are more interesting.

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

The moment is when you press the shutter (about 0.05% of the times, a moment that will appeal to others). The other moments are ones you missed, ones which happened just before or just after you clicked.

I suspect most times, the picture that appeals to others, which makes them green with envy are very few and far between - and more luck than intent.
    So you might as well try for quality in exposure, focal length, white balance (if appropriate) and skill to compose the best shot you can and leave the rest to chance, serendipity and sheer darned luck.

13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

You seem to be assuming that all opinions are equally valid. That may not necessarily be true.

Or you can set the shutter to multiple exposure (or whatever they call it) and have a dozen moments to choose from. ;)

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  14. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Simply by all means fire off a shot to capture a moment, but if the opportunity arises try to take a better shot after your first. It's is the digital age after all.

15. Andrew Flannigan

"Moment" has 3 distinct meanings...
    1. A very brief period of time.
    2. The importance of something.
    3. The tendency of a force to turn a body around an axis.
    Which are you trying to use here?

16. Done_rundleCams

For me, chance, serendipity and luck make up 99% of my shots and, 1% is due to the fact that I have my camera with me :)

Cheers,

Jack

Geren, Andrew Flannigan and Catriona like this.
  17. Done_rundleCams

Post processing software if used for removing or adding stuff should be illegal , other than by cropping :)

Cheers,
    Jack

Andrew Flannigan and Catriona like this.
  18. RovingMike

2.Which is the only one with relevance to what we do. But I was wrong to say it was silly. The correct term if you follow logic, is "nonsense". That is non-sense. The statement does not communicate anything in logic, so does not make sense, and just because some are not following the process of logic, doesn't alter that. It might seem to have meaning, but it doesn't.

But of course people can do and believe what they want. We all see different moments and different things as moments. I certainly don't see all HCB's decisive moments as in any way a moment, only some. Quantitavely, in photography the better moments are fewer and the worse are more. But that requires an understanding of the meaning of better.

19. RovingMike

Definitely. You might wish something would occur while you have a subject in mind, but it is almost certain that something else will. That's why the greats in street / doc / reportage photography set things up more often than anyone likes to admit. On a couple of occasions recently doing the signage project, I have almost got sick of holding the camera waiting for a moment to occur and then someone noticed me and glanced at the sign, which was all I needed, it didn't have to be a real candid event. But not to wait for a moment and convince yourself that everything is one, so you can just shoot anything, is not something I'd want to do. Others may. But just an example of what I'm saying:

Non-moment - https://flic.kr/p/2iboPKN

Moment, thank you sir - https://flic.kr/p/2iboPPR

Catriona likes this.
  20. Andrew Flannigan

That is just your opinion. My opinion is that definition 1 is far more relevant to many photographers and possibly most. Lots of pictures have their main interest in a fleeting expression or situation which is seldom if ever repeated. It might even be a particular juxtaposition that the photographer finds interesting...

Woman kissing bald man's head  P1010255.JPG

Bus driver smiling at colleague DSCF3452.jpg Butterfly on Susies hand Penken route Mayerhofen NIK_1030.JPG

Birds on stones in River Exe DSC00561.JPG

Boys in sea and on rocks Exmouth Harbour DSC01401.JPG

Charlie Chaplin mime artist Innsbuck 9070041.JPG

Crow walking on metal fence white background DSCF3460.JPG