1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Do we still really need 1p and 2p coins?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dorset_Mike, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Car park machines don't take them, nearly all my transactions are by card or on line. I probably only use cash a few times in a year, there are some shops I use that will only take cash if the amount due is under £5, they're the only places that I ever get any small coins, they gradually accumulate in my purse until I have to find a charity box.

2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

If the price of everything was rounded up to the nearest 5p (and, believe me, nothing would be rounded down) I suspect that each of us would be many ££s poorer in the course of a year - even if we never actually use the coins. I have just looked at my last supermarket till-roll receipt. Of 22 items, 20 were for amounts ending in 1p - 4p or 6p - 9p. Obviously I paid that by card but rounding up each item to the nearest 5p would have cost me about 60p extra.

I still use cash for buying a newspaper a couple of times a week, paying for my coffee at the camera club and paying my Skip for each game of bowls. But none of those involve coins smaller than 5p.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

How much do charities make in coppers? I expect they would miss them.

4. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I have my local paper delivered and pay by direct debit to the publisher, works out 5p a copy cheaper than buying from a shop.

5. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

In my pocket right now...

• two pound: 1
    • one pound: 3
    • fifty pence: 2
    • twenty pence: 0
    • ten pence: 2
    • five pence: 2
    • two pence: 2
    • one pence: 1

...so I find that I spend them quite readily.

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I've not used them for a long time. I mainly do use cards, but use cash for small items. I constantly empty my pockets and remove all the copper and put it into a jar as I very rarely spend them. About time I gave it to a charity.

I agree though, it is about time we discontinued them.

7. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

My problem is that I don't want a paper every day and, when I do buy one, I don't always want the same one.

I used to buy a Guardian on their "media" day (can't now remember which day that was) and I usually buy a Herald on a Saturday for their Arts supplement. Today I bought a Stirling Observer to check the camera club entry in their club news pages.

My behaviour relating to small change varies. In a pub, I'll always put coins up to 10p into the charity tin on the bar, if there is one, or leave it lying as a tip. In a shop, I bring them home and, when I have enough, use them to pay for specific small items - such as if walking to the local shop for a newspaper.

Big spender, eh?

8. Aga n Chickens

Aga n Chickens Well-Known Member

After each outing to the shops, all our 50p coins go into a tin for the chicken food, the 20p coins into another tin for the dog's food, any coppers are fed into a coin sorter and bagged up for the bank when we have enough. Pound and 10p coins are put aside for the correct bus fare that our drivers insist on (not quite old enough for the bus pass yet).
    That only leaves notes and the odd 5p coins in my purse which certainly makes my handbag lighter to carry.

Christine

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Many charities expect or try to persuade us to part with sums far greater than the coppers in our pockets now. They want bank details and monthly sums of £25 or more!

10. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

From Kismet (1955)...

Beggar: You can't demand more money! We're not even supposed to notice the amount they give us.
    The Poet: Never have I seen a profession so in need of new blood and new ideas.

:rolleyes:

11. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

No piece of string and a penknife....??

How times have changed.... ;)

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes. When my purse gets too heavy, I decant some change into a pig. At Christmas, it goes to the Lifeboat lot in my local newsagents. I let them count it up!

Kate

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Have you seen the price of washers? Cheaper to drill a penny.

14. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Am I the only one with full size 10mm spanner on their keyring?

15. flyfisher

flyfisher Well-Known Member

I rarely use coins and only ever carry change for as long as it takes me to get home and dump them all in a bowl on the sideboard (unless there's a charity box in the shop, in which case I'll dump anything other than £2 and £1 coins there).

Mrs Flyfisher then retrieves the £2, £1, 50p coins and also keeps the car ashtray topped up with 20p & 10p coins for parking machines.

But we certainly still need 1p & 2p coins, otherwise prices would rise much faster than they do.

16. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

It would not be necessary to round all items to the nearest 5 pence; on the continent, there are still items priced in amounts less than 5 cents (this especially applies to weighed items), but your change will only be in units of 5 cents, but on your total bill, not each individual item. It seems to work there, so why not here?

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That sounds clever, I'm inspired. :)

18. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

My keyring has the keys of one car and five houses (no not all mine), also one steel tape and two store cards, I keep the Swiss army knife on a small holster on my belt. The partridge in a pear tree only joins us at Christmas

19. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Three years ago I started collecting all my coppers in an old Hellman's jar for my kids. Despite putting every 1p and 2p coin I've received in change in their the coins are only just a couple of inches deep. The original plan was to let the girls spend the money on toys or ice cream when the jar is full; at this rate it's now looking like it will be their first alcoholic drink in the pub.

20. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I do most of my daily shopping in local shops and mainly use cash.

Cards for petrol, large purchases and purchases on line. Bank transfers for some of my regular payments (such as the window cleaner) and direct debits for others. Haven't used a cheque in a long time.

This morning I picked up a prescription from the chemist (free), milk and a newspaper from another shop. Total cost £1-55 and paid with cash.

Total cash in my pocket tonight - 3x£10.00 + 4x£5.00 + 1x50p + 3x1p

It works for me.