1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Do surveys do any good

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Take this one run BY AP !

Always the same question I always give different answers so.................... pointless ?

I always give garbage answers on surveys unless genuine such as my bank, government

I am a 24 year old retired black white Chinese American Scottish female male living in London, Wales, who drives an electric 40 tonne lorry, living in a three story bungalow, and a veterinarian who prefers steak

Image1.jpg

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I think that you had to go out of your way to get that combination of answers.
    Well done!

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Oh don’t start this up again. Just ignore it.

4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I do a few online surveys for money the sort that are quick and easy and I do them when not doing anything else like on the bus- reckon I make about £15 a month- I call them the "bread and milk money"

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It's quite satisfying to give false answers to surveys, but there is a serious side to not doing it. The AP surveys are just daft, but companies and organisations do use data from surveys for future planning and strategy. It's better to ignore a survey if you don't wish to complete them or else you may find your local hospital or GP offering services to non-existent fat, peg-leg, lesbian vegans at the detriment of other services, or your local supermarket ditches your favourite product as they need to make shelf space for a non-existent demographic.

neilt3, LesleySM and Learning like this.
  6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Indeed. For quite a while I was the emergency back-up for a certain demographic. A friend of my wife worked part-time as a market-surveyer and I’d get roped in if she was short of numbers but it was genuine market research.

But the Apester surveys in AP and many other websites are ridiculous. We’ve been over this endlessly on the forum so revivifying it serves no good purpose.

7. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I've been doing a few surveys that don't pay out as part of monitoring covid-19 and the effects on consumer behaviour, local trends, mental health etc

8. Learning

I gave you a like for that Martin because you are correct. However some feedback requests are just daft.
    A week or two ago I reported that my Panasonic was not very well. A Panasonic microwave no less. I investigated the problem and found that a fuse had blown. Sometimes fuses blow because of an equipment fault. I know that anti-surge fuses blow just because they have anti-surged too many starting surges. I bought a minimum quantity of 10 amp ant-surge fuses. I fitted the fuse and so far all is well. Two days ago I am requested to review my fuses. That is daft.The equipment now works. The new fuse has not prematurely blown. How can I know if the fuse is working properly. For all I know there might be a slug of thick copper in there. To judge that fuse one needs to be familiar with an iso standard, have the necessary test equipment, know how to use it, and have access to a random selection from thousands of the product. A review from a nearly normal consumer like me is useless.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Have you given thought to doing a survey to find out?

10. Learning

No. It's not practicable. I will just hope that the fuse blows if a real equipment fault develops. A temporary fix using a 5 amp anti surge fuse held up for a few days.

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

My response was to the OP of the thread.

I had a Panasonic microwave, it only lasted three years. I replaced it with a (cheaper) Sanyo that is now about nine years old, which has been faultless. I suppose it will now expire in the next few days.

12. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Isn’t this a survey?

13. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of ASDA several years ago I took back a faulty microwave and exchanged it and because it was no cheaper they refunded me the difference :eek: true story x Don

14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

If it was no different in price why was there anything to refund?

15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Well, I had a building survey when I bought this house, as it dated from 1846. The surveyor found some things, but he didn't find the extensive list of bodjits left me by the previous owner, who was one of that species of male that thinks he can do anything.
    That is what you meant wasn't it?

16. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Ah but that is different and a worthy survey

17. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I owned a Toshiba microwave many years ago, which after over a decade of use, packed up. Looking around inside for an anti-surge fuse, couldn't find one, but I noticed the bulb looked on it's way out, so replaced it, to discover that when the bulb expires, the whole machine stops. Got another 5 years out of the machine, before it DID completely fail.